Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Weekender Special

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Unhappy The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away

Well maybe not exactly "taketh away" in this case, but I just returned my 1-day SLC-Downtown HLE one-way rental and the agent wasn't able to do anything other than remove the coupon. This particularly hurts because I picked up the car at the airport, so I get to enjoy paying all those concession fees. What was originally a $19 deal became a $30.13 hassle

Luckily it did work in Rochester and my savings there were more than what I would have saved here ^ In Rochester I did express return (since they were not open yet) FWIW.

-J.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Yeah, just returned mine this morning. He tried and said he wasn't sure why it didn't apply, but I just said to let it go. Would've been since to save another 20-odd bucks but I don't want to mess up any relationships doing it. I'm on good terms with my HLE. That works better than plain status. Although, I was modestly tempted to return after hours to see what would happen. I didn't get there early enough this morning to try it.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 5:23 pm

I've returned two cars I booked before the coupon combo was pulled and both rang up exactly as I expected with discount intact...
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Must depend on the location... my next one with the special is a 3 day weekend combined with a $5 off/day coupon is the end of the month.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by rylan
Must depend on the location... my next one with the special is a 3 day weekend combined with a $5 off/day coupon is the end of the month.
Did you book this before they caught the loophole? Let us know how it works out in the end.

-J.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yup, this res was booked a couple weeks before they closed the loophole. Of course I can't open up the res online since it gives that DE145 error, but I have my confirmation email printed that shows the price and discount applied so will take that with me to the airport.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
I've got a glitched res for this weekend... Gold Canopy/Gold Choice location, so I can get in and out with a minimum of human contact if necessary. We'll see what happens.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by roymustang
I've got a glitched res for this weekend... Gold Canopy/Gold Choice location, so I can get in and out with a minimum of human contact if necessary. We'll see what happens.
Leaving is not a problem, it's the final billing that is
(they cant always close the contract with that pc)
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by fyaric
Leaving is not a problem, it's the final billing that is
(they cant always close the contract with that pc)
True enough. Honestly, the FRDM is pretty much good enough alone for this rental... I just don't want to draw attention to it at this point since it's been sitting in the system for about two full months now
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
I just can't bring myself to try and outwit this anymore. Someone else mentioned his/her good relationship with the local HLE--same here!

Here's my ideological tradeoff:

I could rent from the local ET for $9.99 per day w/100 miles and get a few points that accumulating would take me a year or more to get to just ONE free rental day. And, they "say" I'm a "GOLD" (insert LOL here)....

For the added $6 at ZE today, I will get enough points (Triple Promotion) to reward myself with a three weekend day future rental (available when it's the most necessary)with what I have already accumulated. And, since I have accumulated using these ridiculously low rates, I am grateful. Not to mention the airline miles I got in between, too! ^
Old Nov 10, 2012, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes
I just can't bring myself to try and outwit this anymore. Someone else mentioned his/her good relationship with the local HLE--same here!

Here's my ideological tradeoff:

I could rent from the local ET for $9.99 per day w/100 miles and get a few points that accumulating would take me a year or more to get to just ONE free rental day. And, they "say" I'm a "GOLD" (insert LOL here)....

For the added $6 at ZE today, I will get enough points (Triple Promotion) to reward myself with a three weekend day future rental (available when it's the most necessary)with what I have already accumulated. And, since I have accumulated using these ridiculously low rates, I am grateful. Not to mention the airline miles I got in between, too! ^
Let me explain, First on a weekend from enterprise let's say 2 days cost $30. with a national emerald club membership 1 rental = a credit 5 - 7 credits = free day

hertz 3 weekend days costs $45 3X promo = 150 points. so it will take 4 rental to get a free day plus $60 extra

so it depends on what you are collecting to decide what is good for you!

How do you get for $6 more at (ze) a free day?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by fyaric
Let me explain, First on a weekend from enterprise let's say 2 days cost $30. with a national emerald club membership 1 rental = a credit 5 - 7 credits = free day

hertz 3 weekend days costs $45 3X promo = 150 points. so it will take 4 rental to get a free day plus $60 extra

so it depends on what you are collecting to decide what is good for you!
============================================
How do you get for $6 more at (ze) a free day?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The answer lies within what was posted before, "with what I have already accumulated" with Hertz (ZE).

I have 1482 Gold Points, so with a few more, I can have a 3-day weekend rental, to split or combine. My points seemingly exploded "exponentially" when my balance was stuck around the 600 mark. That's why I took some airline miles for awhile. Then, the triple points were announced and while my DH was home from Afghanistan, we took a weekly rental.

11/12/12 After the fact...
But, the $6 turned out to be a moot point BECAUSE I did end up getting the $30 ($10 per day) off my accumulated bill. I got my 3-day rental for $40.51 all inclusive, had a RAV-4 to "test" drive and really enjoyed it.

My point of the post was I could accept paying ZE $45 and earn more Gold points, instead of paying $39 to ET and get a paltry 42 points that when added to my "Gold"-haha status with them, could take two more years to net anything valuable in return. You mentioned National Emerald Club. Is that a new benefit from the "takeover"? I would admit that's news to me.

Sure, at Hertz it's not the $4.99 per day that was reported early in the thread but like I said, I'd rather have the HLE relationship and the "it's all good" peace of mind that I didn't stress out and got an acceptable deal. I have my points and I also got valuable airline miles on some my cheap prior rentals, as well.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Is that a new benefit from the "takeover"? I would admit that's news to me.
Enterprise took over national and they let national earn on their rentals!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

So I undercut XCT1...

I have a reservation for this coming Friday and I was just messing around a bit and tried out the new PC# 174646 at the airport, and what I saw shocked me... for a one day rental:

ECAR: $14
CCAR: $16
EDAR: $17.34
ICAR: $18

...and so on. I didn't use XCT1, just the PC (and the USAA CDP). I went ahead with ICAR, and I got an all-in total of $20.14. It was using RQ USGE.

I suggest you all give this a shot (enter PC# 174646 and then RQ "USGE"). I'm afraid this will probably have been a one-off, but if any of you need to rent at SLC this weekend, rebook your car now!

FWIW I didn't book it -- I still have a CCAR reservation for $18.79 at my HLE, which is more convenient since they pick me up and it's closer to where I have to go. I'd also rather see them get the revenue/commission; too bad I won't get to use Gold Choice, though. I will call them on Thursday though to see how they look for availability; if it sounds like they're running low I'll rebook at the airport and get a good night's sleep Thursday

-J.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Undercutting XPC1 isn't hard - depending on the location.

SJC does $11.49 for a compacts most weekend with AAA. Add in a $10 off cert and it goes up slightly (due to the order of the cert and the 10% AAA discount), but you're still looking at around a $2.50 rate before taxes and fees, or around $10/day including everything (mainly the $6/day airport fee).

Even SFO rates for a compact this coming weekend are less than XPC1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.