Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Weekender Special

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2012, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by FlywithUS
I guess it was bound to happen. Enjoyed it last weekend in Puerto Rico, and I have a reservation for this upcoming weekend and I'm debating whether to call and cancel (since I can't cancel online because I get that message that won't let me touch my reservation containing an RQ and a PC) and to rebook with just the PC as it is still cheaper than just the RQ by itself.

I'm not renting from an HLE, but from the airport. When I go to my "upcoming reservations" in my gold profile it shows the rental pickup date, with a blank drop off date so it doesn't help the possibility that they will honor it.

//

Here are my scenarios for the 4 day rental (FRIDAY-MONDAY):

Reservation Honored as "guaranteed" (RQ+PC): $36.34
PC not accepted at return (just RQ) : $79.81
Reservation Amended to remove RQ (just PC): $58.86

I'd obviously rather pay $58.86 than $79.81 but I don't know if it is worth the gamble to see if they will honor the confirmed reservation and save $20.
you can always book on the spot if they don't honor it!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by fyaric
you can always book on the spot if they don't honor it!
You don't know until return... although in my case I had a bad feeling it wouldn't end well when I saw on the original contract that the PC would be applied upon return.

I guess FlywithUS can gamble it for now; but if you see "PC will be applied upon return" or similar language and "****" next to it in the price column, go to the desk and ask them to rebook you on just the PC and a generic RQ.

-J.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: US Gold, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
You don't know until return... although in my case I had a bad feeling it wouldn't end well when I saw on the original contract that the PC would be applied upon return.

I guess FlywithUS can gamble it for now; but if you see "PC will be applied upon return" or similar language and "****" next to it in the price column, go to the desk and ask them to rebook you on just the PC and a generic RQ.

-J.
Does the PC ($10 off a day) have any advance booking requirement online? Or do I pop open a reservation with the Hertz representative? I'm arriving at midnight and am hoping to spend as little time as possible talking to representatives so I can make it to In-N-Out before they close at 1AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Does the PC ($10 off a day) have any advance booking requirement online? Or do I pop open a reservation with the Hertz representative? I'm arriving at midnight and am hoping to spend as little time as possible talking to representatives so I can make it to In-N-Out before they close at 1AM.
You mean this one, right? Unfortunately the first line of the T&Cs says, "Advance reservations are required" Of course, YMMV; it doesn't say how far in advance you must make the reservation

-J.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
You mean this one, right? Unfortunately the first line of the T&Cs says, "Advance reservations are required" Of course, YMMV; it doesn't say how far in advance you must make the reservation

-J.
Yup, that's the one. I'm debating whether or not to call, because I know if I call in advance the odds of them honoring it is lower than just playing the "ohh, I didn't check my reservation since I made it" card...
Old Oct 15, 2012, 2:32 pm

I did a dummy booking for this weekend in SAN and it looks like they reduced the regular (i.e. no RQ) rates down to near RQ prices. Repriced my itinerary and it repriced at $45.83 with the fabulous PC. (The rate is $15.57/day instead of the $14.24/day with RQ) I'll probably call Hertz and cancel my RQ + PC reservation and rebook at new rates.

$9 more is acceptable, considering I already saved by using the RQ+PC trick in SJU last weekend to get a Hyundai Sonata (with only 17 miles on it) for $32 for the weekend.

Now I just need to reprice one of my PHL rentals for the end of the month so I'm not stuck with paying $40 more than quoted... Hopefully I'll have similar luck
Old Oct 15, 2012, 4:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I returned the car this afternoon @ORD. I showed the return agent my printout with the coupon ($30) on it ($52ai). When I got my receipt, it show "rental certificate" as a $30 deduction.

My base for 3 days (after discounts/coupon, etc) is $13.47 and adding $30.83 in fees & 20% tax on $13.47, my price was $46.99ai. ^

I got in late Friday nite so I wasn't able to use the HLE on this trip.

We will see how the rest of my rentals go.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by chemist661
I showed the return agent my printout with the coupon ($30) on it ($52ai).
Did you show an email printout or the printout from the Hertz website?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 5:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Did you show an email printout or the printout from the Hertz website?
My original e-mail printout from late August.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

I returned the car this afternoon @ORD. I showed the return agent my printout with the coupon ($30) on it ($52ai). When I got my receipt, it show "rental certificate" as a $30 deduction.

My base for 3 days (after discounts/coupon, etc) is $13.47 and adding $30.83 in fees & 20% tax on $13.47, my price was $46.99ai. ^

I got in late Friday nite so I wasn't able to use the HLE on this trip.

We will see how the rest of my rentals go.
My original e-mail printout from late August.
Hmmm. Maybe I'll try that in Rochester and hope for the best, except I think I'm returning it before they open Maybe I'll print out the PDF and staple it to the contract when I leave it in the box with the keys (hate doing that...). I'm sure my HLE will try to take care of me though when I rent instead of taking a taxi from the airport...

-J.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I just had a rental last week in LAS for 3 days using the weekender special at 13.49/d and 10/day PC. Got upgraded to a mustang convertible on my $33ai rental. No issues with charges at return, so it was working then.

I have another rental that I booked for end of Nov in DFW with the weekender special and a $5/day PC (since the 10 expires by then)... have the confirmation email showing everything but get the error message and can't view or modify the res. Hope that one works out or the return agent can correct it if it doesn't work.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
This thing seems to change week to week.

For one thing, the 135892 code cited in the first few posts on this thread has been changed to reflect airport rentals with no mention of HLE participating locations. Not surprised since my local HLE placed a call of concern.

Since HLEs have alot of discount insurance rentals, in order for them to report their non insurance rental sales, they seek to better their sales positions by reaping other rates to the public. You can imagine, for example, how a $4.99 per day rate was affecting their rental sales statistics.

Also, the advance reservations rule is affecting the best rates, as is per usual.

I'm gonna keep on plugging, however, as those $8.xx per weekend day AI rates (that included taxes) were very attractive and awarded me 600 WN points, also!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
But did your HLP rep still honor the discounted price of the rental upon return?

A datapoint for all of you: The other HLE rep didn't see the discounts anymore even if the PC showed the discount when I picked up the car on Thursday. I guess the system just didn't accept this coupon anymore. I guess I might have to complain to Hertz every single time when I run into problems again because HLE rept said he could do it this time, but probably not next time.
=============================================
Yes, she did. I think humility or honesty with a Hertz Gold status keeps the rate as is.

You want to stay in good with a rep? Give a small token of appreciation. ($5 GCs are nice). I gave a HBA gift bag.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by rylan
I just had a rental last week in LAS for 3 days using the weekender special at 13.49/d and 10/day PC. Got upgraded to a mustang convertible on my $33ai rental. No issues with charges at return, so it was working then.

I have another rental that I booked for end of Nov in DFW with the weekender special and a $5/day PC (since the 10 expires by then)... have the confirmation email showing everything but get the error message and can't view or modify the res. Hope that one works out or the return agent can correct it if it doesn't work.
====================
Airport or HLE?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:15 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If I were Hertz, I would specify no PCs with this RQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.