FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by WestonFli
So print it out at home? or are there places to print in out in their terminal?
If you are on one PNR, your boarding passes will all print out before you leave home. If you are not on one PNR, in case of misconnect, you may need to buy another ticket.

I see from another thread that you are planning a connection in LAX, which while ample, just magnifies your misconnect chances.

Last edited by 747FC; Jun 29, 2016 at 2:51 pm Reason: Added info
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by WestonFli
So print it out at home? or are there places to print in out in their terminal?
Yes, or get a mobile boarding pass. Do not wait until you get to HNL because that's where the problems start. If you're short on time, because they have only one desk staffed with one person for all inter-island flights, you might run out of time standing in line. I know because it's happened to me. They used to have kiosks in the boarding area so boarding passes could be printed and, for some reason, removed them.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
If the AA flight is on time, that is plenty of time. However, you should check in to the HA flight online and a have a mobile boarding pass or have printed one out. There is only one desk, usually with one employee, at the HA gates, so if you have to stand in line to check in/get a boarding pass, you could potentially have trouble making the flight.
Hello again

My plans changed and my inbound flight got changed direct to LIH. However on the return I am via HNL. My connection is approx. 1hr45, when I am flying AA to LAX-JFK, and then onwards to LHR with BA. I was thinking of hand luggage only but it now appears I will have a suitcase so I will need to check this in at LIH. Given I cannot rely on interlining to AA/BA, is 1hr45 going to be sufficient time to pick up from case from HA, get to the main terminal, check it in with AA and then reclear TSA? It's a weekday evening in August at 7.45pm.

Apologies I also asked this in an interlining thread before I figured this would be the better place.

Thanks
S
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by snuffi
Hello again

My plans changed and my inbound flight got changed direct to LIH. However on the return I am via HNL. My connection is approx. 1hr45, when I am flying AA to LAX-JFK, and then onwards to LHR with BA. I was thinking of hand luggage only but it now appears I will have a suitcase so I will need to check this in at LIH. Given I cannot rely on interlining to AA/BA, is 1hr45 going to be sufficient time to pick up from case from HA, get to the main terminal, check it in with AA and then reclear TSA? It's a weekday evening in August at 7.45pm.

Apologies I also asked this in an interlining thread before I figured this would be the better place.

Thanks
S
I never check a bag (having a condo on Kauai, so I only bring the minimum), so I'm not sure how much time you need. I would guess it would be plenty as HA are almost always on time and often early. Perhaps someone with some experience can answer your question.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Gold
KOA-HNL?

Good Evening.

I've read back a good handful of pages but haven't seen any questions similar to what I have...

Looking to fly 10/27/16 Island Air 81 KOA-HNL 8:17AM-9:12AM - arriving Commuter terminal. Connecting to UA201 - HNL-GUM 2:10PM.

Can I walk from the commuter terminal, and stay airside and get all the way to the United gates in terminal M(??)

We have plenty of time it would seem even if we have to go outside of security. I may even do my Global Entry interview while I wait as there are lots of time slots at HNL but none at PDX where I live...

Any direction on staying airside to avoid a TSA reaming would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Lanny
Good Evening.

I've read back a good handful of pages but haven't seen any questions similar to what I have...

Looking to fly 10/27/16 Island Air 81 KOA-HNL 8:17AM-9:12AM - arriving Commuter terminal. Connecting to UA201 - HNL-GUM 2:10PM.

Can I walk from the commuter terminal, and stay airside and get all the way to the United gates in terminal M(??)

We have plenty of time it would seem even if we have to go outside of security. I may even do my Global Entry interview while I wait as there are lots of time slots at HNL but none at PDX where I live...

Any direction on staying airside to avoid a TSA reaming would be appreciated.

Thank you.
I believe that if you inform the staff, you will be directed to an airside entry to the main interisland terminal (not the commuter terminal), from which you can get to the international terminal where UA leaves. You should call Island Air for specifics, but I believe they will have you go through Gate 61. (I've never had to do it )

On the way (but after 10 AM) you can spend your time at the HA Plumeria Club, which is on the upper mezzanine of the interisland terminal and now a Priority Club.

Last edited by 747FC; Sep 27, 2016 at 2:41 am Reason: Clarity
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:34 pm

HA to Delta Connection

Good afternoon,

I will be arriving from OGG on HA (interisland terminal) at 4:20 pm and connecting to Delta to JFK at 5:35 (75 minute connection with hand luggage only). Is that sufficient time? Am I better walking or using the WikiWiki?

Thank you
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:48 pm

I'll be arriving on a DL flight from LAX at 6:40pm and I'm hoping to connect on an Island Air flight at 8:18PM.

I will have 7 people in my party most with checked luggage which I'm assuming Delta won't interline.

Is that enough time to deplane, collect luggage, recheck luggage, clear security, and board?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by thrillhouse763
I'll be arriving on a DL flight from LAX at 6:40pm and I'm hoping to connect on an Island Air flight at 8:18PM.

I will have 7 people in my party most with checked luggage which I'm assuming Delta won't interline.

Is that enough time to deplane, collect luggage, recheck luggage, clear security, and board?
Should be fine (assuming you arrive on time and luggage comes out expeditiously.) I'd send the first group with luggage up ahead, with a straggler's and their luggage afterwards.

Commuter terminal TSA never that long...
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Should be fine (assuming you arrive on time and luggage comes out expeditiously.) I'd send the first group with luggage up ahead, with a straggler's and their luggage afterwards.

Commuter terminal TSA never that long...
Thanks just booked it.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
It will be tight

HAwaiian Air is No#1 for Safety , comfort and on-time starts.
ISland Air has a different baggage policy that you should be aware....significantly less weight for Carryon bags
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I'm doing LAX-HNL with AA, and then HNL-KOA with HA.

First class ticket (row 1) on AA so should be first one off the plane.

No checked bags but I may have to gate-check a booster seat at LAX. Traveling with a 5 years old who has done many flights and can walk fairly fast.

Is the recommendation still 75 minutes in this case? Can I get away with a 45 minute connection?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat

No checked bags but I may have to gate-check a booster seat at LAX. Traveling with a 5 years old who has done many flights and can walk fairly fast.

Is the recommendation still 75 minutes in this case? Can I get away with a 45 minute connection?
45 minutes if you need to pick up luggage: No-don't do 45 min.
Will you get it at the plane door without waiting too long: Yes
Do you have limited risk tolerance: No-Don't do 45 min
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Need more time

Originally Posted by bzcat

So if you do end up checking that car seat...you will need a recommended 3 hrs to connect .
It matters not how fast the wee one can walk but the process of off loading the checked piece, and the often tardy process of going thru TSA screening once again....plus hiking to the Inter-Island terminal...re-checking in the car seat.
It all takes time.
Your checked,piece "should" come onto the carousel first...given your FC status...but one never knows.
A 45 minute connection will,guarantee you a missed flight. They will start to board at 30 mins out..and assign your seats to,standby if not in the gate area.at least 10 mins prior to departure.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
The booster will be gate-checked so it should be brought up to the gate at HNL. And I don't plan on leaving the secured area.

I guess I will go with a 90 min connection just to be safe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.