Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
One point I haven't yet seen mentioned is that the HNL airport has very few food vendors outside of security and no internet access. If you have any reason to pick someone up from the airport bring food and a book with you.
Old May 27, 2013, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
One point I haven't yet seen mentioned is that the HNL airport has very few food vendors outside of security and no internet access. If you have any reason to pick someone up from the airport bring food and a book with you.
I was surprised to find a Food Truck in the Hertz rental lot on my last visit... really wanted to get something but my friend was in a hurry to go to da beach
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:13 am

We are flying KOA-HNL, followed by HNL-SAN.

We have the following options for KOA-HNL departure times:

HA 704am
Go 755am
HA 828am

Go is $30 or $40 cheaper than HA.

We then take AS HNL-SAN at 1150 on a separate PNR. (Due to using Avios).

Which flight do fellow travellers think we should take?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Hawaiian Airlines is No#1 for Safety, Comfort, On-time performance

Don't even dream about taking Go Airlines. Any perceived savings are a distant memory once the flight is delayed or cancelled....both of which happen freqently with GO.
You should be fine with the 0828 HA flight. As you are on a separate PNR and not flying all Hawaiian...you will be required to fetch your bags at HNL , recheck -in and go through Security again. This process can be lengthy..and I would recommend roughly 150 mins to do so without being rushed.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Executrip
Don't even dream about taking Go Airlines.

You should be fine with the 0828 HA flight.
Completely agree!
Old Jun 1, 2013, 5:31 pm

thanks for the replies, being UK based we havent got a clue!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by lfc84
thanks for the replies, being UK based we havent got a clue!
If you search YV (go!) on FT there are some interesting threads.

Too bad AS doesn't serve KOA nonstop from SAN yet... they do for the other major islands
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:45 am

30 minutes after booking the inter island flight I received a schedule change for HNL-SAN. So, we booked HA 0828 KOA-HNL and will then take AS HNL-SAN dep 1300. The schedule change happens to be quite helpful in this instance.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
A few questions that don't seem to be addressed in the 1st post (maybe update ):

(1) Which terminal services AS (which has greatly expanded service here over the last few years?)

(2) Current HNL website map shows AA (Qantas) lounge at gate 26, but 1st post shows AA flights departing gates 16-20 which are in a different pier. Is this correct?

(3) Re-confirm that I will not need to re-clear security if I walk from United pier to Alaska pier (both domestic mainland flights) (and how long will that take?)

Would like to use United Club before my Alaska flights. Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Boraxo
A few questions that don't seem to be addressed in the 1st post (maybe update ):

(1) Which terminal services AS (which has greatly expanded service here over the last few years?)

(2) Current HNL website map shows AA (Qantas) lounge at gate 26, but 1st post shows AA flights departing gates 16-20 which are in a different pier. Is this correct?

(3) Re-confirm that I will not need to re-clear security if I walk from United pier to Alaska pier (both domestic mainland flights) (and how long will that take?)

The AS gates are in the central concourse, same as AA. The AA lounge is no longer at gate 26, but next to the central concourse im the overseas terminal, which they share with JAL (Sapporo Lounge). You will not need to re-clear security.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Jun 13, 2013 at 4:30 pm
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo

The United Club is over Gate 9, IIRC. A bit of a hike, without airconditioning, to the 20s...
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
The United Club is over Gate 9, IIRC. A bit of a hike, without airconditioning, to the 20s...
Well, I am not invalid. But there is a difference between a 10m walk (OAK) and 20m trek (SLC,LHR)
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Hope for a breeze. It is nice that its open air as some very plane spotting can be had. I'd say the DL club is the most convenient to AS, however with the recent devaluation, I'd visit the UA Club.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:42 am

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

I'm not sure how you will gain access to the United Club, as they will ask for your UA boarding pass.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:09 am

HNL Connecting to Mainland

I arrive in HNL at 2:00PM from KONA and have a connecting flight on Delta that leaves at 4:00. Is this enough time? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.