Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2007, 1:32 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
You may also want to do a search of this forum. This question (or variations of it) has been asked before and you might get some good advice from someone who misses the question this time around.

If pools are more important to you than beaches, I'd skip Oahu (or at least Waikiki) as the beach is the thing there, while you can find amazing pools on the other islands. I'd also recommend sticking to two islands.
Yes, this type of question has been asked and answered many times over.

But replying to it again never gets old, so here goes.

Stick with 2 Islands, Maui & the BI.
HWV on Hawaii & Grand Wailea on Maui.
If your son gets bored with HWV, take a quick ride up to Hapuna Beach or (a slightly longer ride) to Captain Cook for all the ocean fun you could want.

Search or check the stickies on activities on those Islands, and you will be set.

Don't forget, though, that the beauty of vacationing in Hawaii is that you don't have to do anything at all. You're on vacation.

Good luck!
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:29 pm

I have been to all of these islands many times. You ABSOLUTELY want to go to Kauai and Maui and skip the big island. The pools at the Grand Hyatt Kauai and the Grand Wailea are the 2 best in the islands. The big island eats up a lot of your trip because it takes so long to get anywhere--and we really don't care for it and hear that from many others. I also think that the service at the hotels there is the worst and the attitude of the locals in and around Kona is not welcoming at all. The only reason to ever go to the big island would be a quick trip to the volcanoes, especially if there is an eruption. PS-the bike/volcano trip you mention is in Maui.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 7:32 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
You don't mention whether you've been to Hawaii before. I always tell people if they are going to more than one island, to make Kauai the last one because if they go to Kauai first, they won't want to leave.
That is so true. My first time to Hawaii, I went to Kauai for a few days, and then to Oahu. I wanted to be back in Kauai right away.

The second trip started in Molokai, which was NICE, but a little TOO quiet. It's 180 degrees different than Honolulu or Maui. I did enjoy sitting on my balcony looking at the skyline of Maui across the channel. I know it's called "the friendly island" but I did not feel the locals liked my presence much. But then it was off to Kauai.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by james318
That is so true. My first time to Hawaii, I went to Kauai for a few days, and then to Oahu. I wanted to be back in Kauai right away.

The second trip started in Molokai, which was NICE, but a little TOO quiet. It's 180 degrees different than Honolulu or Maui. I did enjoy sitting on my balcony looking at the skyline of Maui across the channel. I know it's called "the friendly island" but I did not feel the locals liked my presence much. But then it was off to Kauai.
I offered the same advice to a fellow Flyertalker. He didn't listen to me, but after several days on Kauai, he did cancel the Maui portion of the trip and extend his Kauai visit!
Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Babu
I was able book 2 additional nights at the Hyatt for just under $400 per night. Since the flights to another island would have cost this much for the family, not a bad deal I suppose. The Princeville was an option but $200 more a night. Anyone feel the Princeville is worth $200 more per night?
No, it is not worth the premium for the Princeville. The Hyatt pool complex is so much better for kids than the Princeville and it is a wonderful property. I would consider going up to the Princeville for Sunday brunch though (expensive, but great).
Old Oct 28, 2007, 1:35 pm

Programs: AP, SPG, DL
I wish to thank everyone for all the detailed replies!
I thought with all the effort you put into the answers, I should at least inform you of our decision.
There were many different opinions, as I knew there would be, but all of the information was very valuable.
We are still planning on doing three islands, even though I understand, and do believe that it will be somewhat of a rush.
After a lot of reading and research the two islands that we most want to see are the B.I. and Kauai.
But we just couldn't see coming all the way to Hawaii (possibly for the only time), and not seeing Maui.
We had also wanted to see Pearl Harbour, but that is just totally out of the question.
So...
We will start our Vacation on Hawaii (Big Island), four (4) nights. We want to explore the island, visit volcano national park, go up the mountain for the star tour, see the black sand beaches and possibly scuba. Probably stay at the Hilton Waikoloa, although I would love some more advice on this if any are willing. (The reviews are VERY mixed)
Then Fly early morning to Kauai, where we will spend four (4) nights at the Grand Hyatt. Here we want to relax, scuba dive, zip line, hike, and explore the beautiful island.
Then we will end our trip with two (2) nights at the Grand Wailea in Maui. We want to spend some time at the beach, and our son wants to spend the whole two days in their pools!
I know this will be a busy vacation, however by changing it to 4 - 4, and 2 we hoped it would allow for some relaxation as well.
The only thing that is still up in the air is where to stay on the Big Island.
Is the location of the Waikoloa hotel on the island good for exploring? It seems that all the nice hotels are on the Kailua-Kona side, and the attractions are closer to Hilo.
We want a central location as not to be too far for day trips, yet a 4-5 star hotel with nice pools as well.
Naturally the Four Seasons would be our first choice, but we simply can not afford the $800 per night.
We like the pools and grounds at the Hilton, but are a little concerned about the size, and the length of time required to get around and in and out of the hotel it's self.
Others we are considering are the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel, Fairmont Orchid, Sheraton Keauhou, or Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel.
Any advice would be appreciated, and thanks again to all that have already answered.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Silver, Marriott Gold
We stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel last November, it was nice, but nothing special considering the price. In retrospect, I would have sprung for the Four Seasons, or stayed in a simpler place. The best part about the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel was the beautiful beach.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:41 pm

Programs: AC, BW, National
Bike Riding

If you want to ride bikes down a volcano then I suggest you do some research as the one on Maui was shut down for safety reasons when I was there recently.

..... SC
Old Nov 25, 2007, 1:56 pm

Thumbs down AVOID the Fairmont Kea Lani - TERRIBLE!!

Mobs of wild kids, substandard restaurants, blood on the sheets at the spa:

My wife and I had stayed at the Kea Lani previously, in Sep., 2000. We enjoyed our stay very much & decided to book there again. We did not notice that, in that time period, the Kea Lani had changed from a privately-owned & managed hotel to being owned by Fairmont Hotels.

To make a long story very short, the stories from other reviewers about the pool areas are right on. If you travel at anything other than the lowest of the low season, you will encounter literally hundreds of out-of-control kids playing, screaming, crying and generally raising Cain in every way. It is also extremely difficult to find a chair that is anywhere near the pools (i.e. less than 200 yards away).

As to the restaurants, the food at the breakfast restaurant is only one small step better than what you could find at a Shoney's buffet. An interesting note is that what they offer for their breakfast buffet (c. $25) is five steps lower in quality from what is offered on their a la carte breakfast menu (which would cost you close to $35 if you ordered each item you might want for a breakfast comparable in size to the buffet). Mass scrambled eggs on the buffet vs. special egg dishes on the menu. Portuguese sausage (nasty) on the buffet vs. applewood smoked sausage links on the menu. You get the point.

The food at Nick's was excellent, but the service was a crapshoot. One evening we had a server who was very attentive and took great care of us. Two evenings later we had a server who literally came to our table twice in over 2 hours. I spoke with the manager about that experience & he offered us one free dessert for our troubles (?!?). Needless to say, we would have much rather had attentive service than a free slice of cheesecake.

Finally, and most astoundingly, we made reservations at the spa for massages for each of us. At the end of my massage, the therapist opened the door and I see my wife standing there in tears. She says we need to talk & comes into my treatment room. Through sobs & profuse tears, she proceeds to tell me how, halfway through her massage, her therapist asked her if she was bleeding. She stated "no" and informed the therapist that her cycle had been 2 weeks prior. Extensive evaluation by the therapist and my wife of my wife's body revealed not so much as a tiny scrape. The problem is, the sheets on the massage table had blood spots in multiple places. It turns out that the massage therapist had some cuts on her hands & that these were the sources of the blood.

I spoke with hotel management immediately, who stated that they would involve hotel security and inform us how they intended to handle the matter. Hotel security, after extensively questioning us, asked us what we feel would be appropriate resolution. Naturally, we told them that something should be comp'd from our bill, whether room nights or restaurant tabs or whatever. Hotel security felt that was an appropriate request and said they would have to put it to hotel management. We received a letter under our door 2 days later stating that they would be unable to offer us any compensation for this travesty, other than the accommodation (?!?) that they would not charge for the massage received. Other than that, they simply provided us with the name, address and telephone number of Fairmont Hotels' corporate insurance carrier, located in Canada.

When I spoke directly with hotel management about this situation, they were extremely cold and did everything possible to avoid saying almost anything to me, repeatedly telling me that they should not discuss the matter on the advice of their attorneys. When I told them how abundantly displeased we were with their response, especially considering that we did not want to pursue this matter via litigation, but were satisfied to accept some manner of local comping, they simply repeated that they were unable to accommodate us beyond removing the spa charge for the massage, and that we should contact their insurance company if we wanted to pursue a legal claim.

Needless to say, we will never return to the Kea Lani, and will utilize the Four Seasons or the Grand Wailea in the future. Everything we have heard and read about those properties seems to indicate to us that they know how to handle unfortunate circumstances that arise because of their OWN FAULT. Sadly, the Kea Lani has apparently decided that it would rather pursue a cold, hostile, and legalistic approach to problem resolution than simply reaching out to its customers and making right what they made wrong. For $500 per night, you can do much, much better in the way of amenities received and service provided than the Kea Lani.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 6:21 am

Programs: SPG: Plat; Amex: Plat.; Star Alliance: Gold, One World: Gold
Which island in Hawaii?

We are going to Hawaii for Christmas. We will first stay in Honolulu, Oahu and then we like to go to another, more authentic island. But which island to choose?
We have been thinging between Maiu and Kauai.
Can someone recommend which one to go?
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:49 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
On Oahu, if it were me, I'd stay away from the high-rise downtown-feel of Waikiki... consider The Kahala which is 15 miles away from Waikiki.

A more authentic island? Kauai is beautiful with a lot of diverse activities. In the winter, stay on the southern side of the island (the Poipu area) for better weather ... but you should know that Kauai is the wettest of the Hawaiian islands.

You might also consider Lanai with its two Four Seasons.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:07 am

Oh be aware of Maui during Christmas time
too crowded
we stayed last christmas at Grand Wailea and Four Seasons and the beaches are not spectacular

Lanai migt be more authentic
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:16 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
As you might know..Hawaii is the name of all the islands...If you want real reality time..go to Hilo..on the BIG ISLAND...much more quiet and more REAL..

Flyiboy
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:06 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Originally Posted by Rane
We are going to Hawaii for Christmas. We will first stay in Honolulu, Oahu and then we like to go to another, more authentic island. But which island to choose?
We have been thinging between Maiu and Kauai.
Can someone recommend which one to go?
Christmas time is still "winter" in the Northern hemisphere, which includes the entire state of Hawaii. Just be aware that while the weather in Hawaii is almost always awesomely benign, we do get rainy periods in the winter.

Originally Posted by DavidO
On Oahu, if it were me, I'd stay away from the high-rise downtown-feel of Waikiki... consider The Kahala which is 15 miles away from Waikiki.

A more authentic island? Kauai is beautiful with a lot of diverse activities. In the winter, stay on the southern side of the island (the Poipu area) for better weather ... but you should know that Kauai is the wettest of the Hawaiian islands.

You might also consider Lanai with its two Four Seasons.
OK advice on avoiding Waikiki, but why stop at the Kahala?
Go out to Ko'olina, or Turtle Bay or find a B&B or VRBO in Kailua or Lanikai. ^

Originally Posted by san diego
Oh be aware of Maui during Christmas time
too crowded
we stayed last christmas at Grand Wailea and Four Seasons and the beaches are not spectacular

Lanai migt be more authentic
Maui is always busy. Period.
Plus Christmastime is cold and wintry in most of the Northern USA and it is school break, so you will get more visitors during that time.
Maui is a beautiful place and lots of folks want to come here.
You want Maui relatively uncrowded? Come mid-week in early May.
You want solitude? Try Vanuatu .

I guess I don't know what defines a "spectacular" beach. Maybe the ones right in front of the hotel property weren't "spectacular" but there are about 5 or 6 more within a few miles of there that most consider world class.

Originally Posted by Flyiboy
As you might know..Hawaii is the name of all the islands...If you want real reality time..go to Hilo..on the BIG ISLAND...much more quiet and more REAL..

Flyiboy
And much more rainy (with apologies to cblaisd).
Hilo is beautiful and truly evokes the Old Hawaii of the territory days better than most other places.
But I personally wouldn't recommend it as a place for the whole family for Christmas vacation (again, that's just me).
If I were going to the BI, I'd hit volcanos for a few days and then head to Kona for sunshine and resorts.

Back to the OPs question: I'd say go to Maui, thoroughly research beforehand what you want to do on vacation (snorkel, scuba, golf, Ocean Center, hikes, 4WD or circle island drives, historical sites, fine dining, family dinners, whatever.)

Figure it out, come here and enjoy!

Aloha and good luck!
Ted
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:20 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Ted gives akamai (wise) advice, as always.

I would second his idea of staying Kona-side on the Big Island but with a day trip to the volcano or, if the volcano is not your thing (and the amount of sulfur dioxide it's pumping out right now is a real threat to anyone with breathing challenges), you can easily wander Mamalahoa Highway (19) from Kona to Hilo, making sure you take all the marked scenic side-stretches on the old highway and seeing "old Hawai`i" as it was a generation ago. You can also see some pretty spectacular sights this way: the Waipio Valley overlook, Laupahoehoe Point (the most dramatic seaside spot on the island, imo), Akaka Falls, and (for a fascinating look at how life was almost a century ago, the Laupahoehoe Train Museum). All this would be easily done in a long day. You could even go Saddle Road, so long as you drive it in the daytime and take it slow on the western half of the road.

My rough estimate is that on any given day in December, there will be a 50-50 chance on the east side of Hawai`i that it will rain most of the day. But that's why it's so green and lush, compared to the awesome but oh-so-different moonscape that some of the Kona-side built on the lava flows can be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.