Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
A little factoid was released about the testing plan, pointing that all arrivals, including children, must have their own email account before flying to Hawaii.

"Safe Travels App: Travelers must set up their Safe Travels account before arriving in Hawaii. They will be sent a QR code which will be scanned by officials on arrival. Every passenger, including children, will need an email address. Airport screeners will scan and verify passenger’s information including their test results, after which travelers are free to leave the airport or pursue secondary testing that islands may require. Additionally, test results should be on your phone and printed."
Haven't done it yet, obviously, so don't know how it will interact with the tests, but the Safe Travels App allows you to declare children traveling with you in your trip--don't think they need their own account. Seems you can upload multiple COVID test results to a single account as well. Guess we'll find out tomorrow!
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SAM Flyer
Just to verify - it's not illegal for a tourist to rent a car in ALL of the state of Hawaii, correct? Only on select islands?

(looks at my car rental reservation with nervous sweat)
State-wide, if you test out of quarantine to the county's/island's satisfaction, you're good to rent. Otherwise, state-wide you can't.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I would definitely expect chaos and long lines.

First, they scan QR codes of each passenger that disembarks to confirm they are in the Hawaii safe traveler database. Then everyone is scanned for temperature...and then you can proceed to baggage claim.

They said the testing will be the quick swab around the nostrils and not the one deep into the sinuses....and that will be done in the area near where the old car rental desks were across the street from the central terminal.

It's illegal for a tourist to rent a car, so I imagine once people get their bags, they will be corralled across the street for testing...and once the negative second test is made, some kind of document or wrist band will be issued which would exempt you from the rental car ban while also showing your lodging you no longer need quarantine. Logistically I'm not sure how they'll do that; they may close the roads in front of the terminals or just have crossing guards up to make sure no arrival strays away from the testing site.

There's a significant National Guard presence on the island and they've been helping out at the airports and ports and testing sites; I imagine they will be here to help facilitate things too. Civil Defense is overseeing the testing while Premiere Medical Group administers the test.

In regards to illegal for tourists to rent cars , is this only on the Big Island? I can’t keep track of what’s what on each island
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
In regards to illegal for tourists to rent cars , is this only on the Big Island? I can’t keep track of what’s what on each island
This also caught my attention. I thought it was only 'illegal' because of the 14-day quarantine? Now that it's been replaced by the 72-hour test mandate, I thought tourists could rent cars.

What's the alternative for tourists? Kauai doesn't have enough taxis to service a couple 737s arriving. Unless the county runs busses timed to flight arrivals from LIH to Poipu and Princeville, or resorts like the Grand Hyatt start renting out busses, I don't see how folks will be able to get to their hotels.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by sullim4
This also caught my attention. I thought it was only 'illegal' because of the 14-day quarantine? Now that it's been replaced by the 72-hour test mandate, I thought tourists could rent cars.

What's the alternative for tourists? Kauai doesn't have enough taxis to service a couple 737s arriving. Unless the county runs busses timed to flight arrivals from LIH to Poipu and Princeville, or resorts like the Grand Hyatt start renting out busses, I don't see how folks will be able to get to their hotels.
Tourists and residents that meet the individual island clean-test standard can rent a car, although I don't know what the process will be tomorrow with flagging someone that's eligible or in quarantine. It is state-wide mandate. As far as how someone gets to the airport to wherever if they're unable to rent a car, I believe they're still able to hire a taxi, take a bus, or hire an Uber/Lyft. Moral of the story: make sure you do whatever you can to exempt yourself from the quarantine so it isn't an issue. If you avoid the pre-travel test, have COVID, and/or if there's a chance you'll test positive upon arrival, now is not the time to visit.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 7:56 pm

Emergency Meeting: Big Island Details

There's an Emergency Meeting with the Big Island Mayor and Council now to discuss the roll-out of tomorrow's plan. Lots of breaking news coming out of this session (that you can watch online on the Hawaii County website.)

-At KOA airport, as part of the ongoing construction there of a centralized TSA screening area and new baggage claim area, there's a lot of of vacant space not yet being utilized. So while the original plan was to do secondary testing at the old car rental desks, the new screening will occur in that vacant new space air-side. At ITO airport, this will occur within the lower "waiting room" area of the airport. Private jet aircraft arrivals will follow a different process. Because of this, you won't need to wander around airport property for the secondary test.

-The process is someone will walk off the plane, enter the Safe Travels screening where they will get their QR code scanned, and then they will have their temperature scanned. If they fail the QR scan test, fail the temperature scan, or give pause to the agents that something is not right, they will be subject to an additional Safe Travels test. This is different from all the other tests floating out there. A person that fails to complete the Safe Travel form, show a QR code, or refuses to have their temperature taken will be ARRESTED ON-SITE. If you test positive here, you and your party go into quarantine.

-Then a person goes to secondary testing. IF A PERSON OBJECTS TO SECONDARY SCREENING, THEY WILL BE IMMEDIATELY ARRESTED ON-SITE. The Mayor confirmed this and the attorney for the county confirmed this, saying it falls within the appropriate emergency powers. People need to go through this second test regardless of whether they took a pre-travel test, etc. (It wasn't detailed in today's meeting, but I imagine those arrested could be subject to a year in jail and a $5,000 fine, which is consistent for not following any state/county COVID rule like public facemask wearing.)

-Within a sterile area, the secondary test occurs. This is a shallow nasal swab; the process to get swabbed is estimated to take 2 minutes or so; a witness observes the test. Roughly 15-20 minutes later, the test result will come in and that passenger will be able to go. The Mayor estimates this additional process will take about 30 minutes or so to go through.

-If someone tests positive in this second test, they immediately get a secondary PCR test...and those results come within 24-72 hours of the test. Until that second test comes in, they are subject to quarantine at their expense immediately ...and includes everyone in their party. So if a father comes in testing positive and his wife & kids are negative on that second test, they all must quarantine until the negative test returns.

-If someone tests positive in the secondary test, all passengers in the adjacent row and 2 rows forward/back will be subject to Department of Health follow-up. They'll likely need to do additional testing too, but that would happen away from the airport once they can map out who was where on the plane.

-If someone must quarantine for whatever reason, it must be done at a hotel. Short term vacation rentals are illegal to anyone in quarantine.

-Some hotels aren't accepting positive guests. If that's the case, the county and state Department of Health could put them into a hotel (Hilo) or house (Kona) that is contracted to house those positive people. There are under 100 such rooms available on the Big Island.

- For private jet arrivals, the county is working with Signature Aviation to either do testing at their facility on the private jet side of KOA ...or to shuttle private jet guests up to the main hall inside the passenger terminal with the others. The process from there remains the same.

- Starting on October 19, the state is rolling-out the additional test where they are testing 10% of all arrivals. The state is handling that and the county isn't yet sure how that'll be done.

Last edited by Weatherboy; Oct 14, 2020 at 8:00 pm Reason: added flowchart provided by County
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:07 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
There's an Emergency Meeting with the Big Island Mayor and Council now to discuss the roll-out of tomorrow's plan. Lots of breaking news coming out of this session (that you can watch online on the Hawaii County website.)
*Gulp*...good luck, people!
Weatherboy and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by wunderpit
*Gulp*...good luck, people!
Naw, what could go wrong?

David
Weatherboy and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Wow. Barring a family or business emergency I can't imagine setting foot on the Big Island after reading all that!
ksucats, italdesign and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:28 pm

Hawaii Approves Japan Testing Program

FYI-- Today, the Hawaii Department of Health approved Japan's testing scheme for pre-travel testing. Hawaii will accept NAAT tests blessed by Japan's Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare ....as long as it comes from a Hawaii-approved testing provider in Japan.

Like U.S. mainland travelers, Japanese tourists who take a test from an approved provider within 72 hours of their departure can come to Hawaii and be exempt of the 14 day traveler quarantine as long as they meet county/island specific rules & secondary/tertiary testing schemes.

Once those partners are approved, at a date to be announced TBD, the HawaiiCovid19.com website will be updated.

For now, residents of Hawaii may still not travel to Japan.

There was talk of Japan/Hawaii mandating that every passenger clear a PCR test before boarding their flight to Hawaii, but that no longer appears to be the case for now.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Thumbs up

Maui & Kauai will offer a voluntary second test on arrival. https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-...tted-by-state/
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-Then a person goes to secondary testing. IF A PERSON OBJECTS TO SECONDARY SCREENING, THEY WILL BE IMMEDIATELY ARRESTED ON-SITE. The Mayor confirmed this and the attorney for the county confirmed this, saying it falls within the appropriate emergency powers. People need to go through this second test regardless of whether they took a pre-travel test, etc. (It wasn't detailed in today's meeting, but I imagine those arrested could be subject to a year in jail and a $5,000 fine, which is consistent for not following any state/county COVID rule like public facemask wearing.)

No way. They can force folks into quarantine or maybe even return to mainland but this is not some sort of martial law situation.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
No way. They can force folks into quarantine or maybe even return to mainland but this is not some sort of martial law situation.
It's a public health emergency and the county attorney said they already won three cases at the federal court level that supports their restriction when pressed by the county council for legality. If you don't test, you're an urgent public health threat which grants them the right to arrest you in the state of emergency.

You won't see this on a tourist bureau poster anytime soon, but at today's emergency meeting, one of the officials said something along the lines that if you're attempting to fly for leisure to Hawaii you clearly don't have regard to personal or others' health, so attempting to decline a test at the airport makes you even that much more of a threat to the island within the state of emergency / crisis.

You can watch the entirety of the emergency meeting here on Facebook:
. At 2:05:43, the legality of arresting someone that doesn't take a test at the airport and/or quarantine as per the law is described by the island attorney.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Took an hour for my visiting Mother to come down the stairs in OGG, and that required multiple phone calls to prove she was quarantining at my house. This test will only add to it, don’t waste time arriving early to pick up family/friends.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 2:08 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Thanks for the compliment (I'm not sure you remember but we have met before in AS first class) but as a savvy traveler I'm not sure I would rely upon an AFC Urgent Care website statement as definitive on the question of the testing requirements set by the Hawaii Department of Health. The DOH website does not necessarily agree that the rapid test is the only acceptable test.

As of this time, DOH requires a nucleic acid amplification test and does not identity the rapid test or the normal test exclusively; antigen and antibody tests are not acceptable. My advice to Tattikat was based upon the Oakland information which does not identify the type of rapid test and further recommends that travelers receive their test 2 - 3 days before travel. Hopefully more information will become available over the next couple of days.

It appears that you should be fine with only taking the rapid test at AFC because they identify it as the Abbott rapid test which apparently is a nucleic acid amplification test.
I do recall meeting. Man, it's been a while .

You're probably right not to rely on AFC definitively. I may get both the rapid and longer result test. Mostly, I'm going to watch the news between today and the 24th when I'm scheduled to depart. In the meantime, I'm booking tee times and thinking about where I can get a good meal. I've got some really nice, breathable masks and am ready for a ridiculous line on arrival to OGG. Just your standard FT frequent flyer calm-under-all-circumstances attitude. I hope all works out. Thinking about Costa Rica and Cartagena next.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.