Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

72-Hour Pre-Departure Covid Testing (Experiences Only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
The purpose of this thread is outlined in the first post; "I was thinking it might be helpful for any of us going to the islands to share our experiences getting tested.

... I'm curious to hear about others getting tested by airlines, at airports, etc. and being able to get the test done within the correct time frame. Monday/Tuesday departures seem particularly challenging due to the weekend within the 72-hour period."

Please limit posts to ones directly related to the above; general "does this test qualify?" and "where can I get tested?" questions are best asked (and answered) in the master thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2013922-covid-19-10-day-arrivals-quarantine-pre-post-arrival-test-out-policies.html

Q. Are the COVID tests for leisure travel to Hawaii covered by medical insurance?
A. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011906-covid-19-travel-medical-insurance.html

FYI-Flight delays don’t count against the T-72 cutoff, they go by the original scheduled departure time not the delayed departure time.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2020, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K

I was thinking it might be helpful for any of us going to the islands to share our experiences getting tested.

I'm departing Sunday 10/25. What I've read so far is the test must be conducted no longer than 72 hours from the LAST leg of your flight. So, for me that will be out of SEA-TAC at 11:25AM which means the test must be done after 11:25AM Thursday 10/22.

I called Kaiser Permanente (they are my provider) and the people on the phone were initially a bit unsure since it's such a fluid situation but they ultimately do seem ready. They said the request must go through my primary doctor and that should be quick and I should hear from them Monday.

I'm curious to hear about others getting tested by airlines, at airports, etc. and being able to get the test done within the correct time frame. Monday/Tuesday departures seem particularly challenging due to the weekend within the 72-hour period.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Where are you located? Before you do anything, confirm that the test you are being offered meets Hawaii's criteria (which are somewhat different than most destination testing requirements). Also, where are you located? There are many jurisdictions which provide free no questions asked testing. The larger issue is whether you will have a timely result.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Often1
Where are you located? Before you do anything, confirm that the test you are being offered meets Hawaii's criteria (which are somewhat different than most destination testing requirements). Also, where are you located? There are many jurisdictions which provide free no questions asked testing. The larger issue is whether you will have a timely result.
I'm in Oregon and will definitely make sure the test type is correct. Kaiser is on Hawaii's list of providers and when I talked to them they pulled up info specifically for the travel to HI so I'm hoping it will be. I'm pretty sure as a member there is no cost to me but I will clarify that also. Worst case maybe a co-pay.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by mtofell
I'm in Oregon and will definitely make sure the test type is correct. Kaiser is on Hawaii's list of providers and when I talked to them they pulled up info specifically for the travel to HI so I'm hoping it will be. I'm pretty sure as a member there is no cost to me but I will clarify that also. Worst case maybe a co-pay.
I’m also with Kaiser, and while this isn’t Covid related as I’ve been living in Maui for longer than I planned this year... On the off chance something happens, be proactive and get a Hawaii Kaiser identification number. Don’t ask why your mainland number won’t work, but it won’t. You won’t get a new card, you won’t even find it on the app. It’s not even close to the format your card # is in. Just call and ask and describe your travel here and be proactive.

Again, nothing to do with COVID just a friendly tip if you need to visit a doctor or the emergency room while here.
Travelinangel and mtofell like this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 7:13 pm

We will be flying direct from LAX to OGG on Monday, October 26 for an (attempted) honeymoon. Since our flight is at 9am, we are actually doing the Vault Health test. It is $150/person, and they overnight a test to you via UPS. You sign on for a Zoom call with a doctor within the 72 hour-window (so we will do it Friday morning), who must witness and administer the saliva sample.

You drop it off at UPS who overnights it back, and they promise results within 48-72 hours. I can get the test for free at CVS or Walgreens, but I do NOT trust the turnaround time due to previous experiences.
mtofell likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 5:19 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, B6, WN
Originally Posted by SAM Flyer
We will be flying direct from LAX to OGG on Monday, October 26 for an (attempted) honeymoon. Since our flight is at 9am, we are actually doing the Vault Health test. It is $150/person, and they overnight a test to you via UPS. You sign on for a Zoom call with a doctor within the 72 hour-window (so we will do it Friday morning), who must witness and administer the saliva sample.

You drop it off at UPS who overnights it back, and they promise results within 48-72 hours. I can get the test for free at CVS or Walgreens, but I do NOT trust the turnaround time due to previous experiences.
Definitely report back on your experience, I may go with Vault as well for the same reasons.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by bourbonbum
Definitely report back on your experience, I may go with Vault as well for the same reasons.
Definitely will do!

Also, another data point for those doing research: I initially looked at Carbon Health's partnership with Alaska Airlines to get my testing done seeing as how they actually had a couple random clinics in Los Angeles, promise results with two hours, and my insurance would cover it. I called the LA clinics and those two-hour tests are actually ONLY available at one Seattle mobile testing location specifically for Alaska Airline flights to Seattle. The tests in LA take 5-7 days to get back. Just FYI.
mtofell and bourbonbum like this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by SAM Flyer
Definitely will do!

Also, another data point for those doing research: I initially looked at Carbon Health's partnership with Alaska Airlines to get my testing done seeing as how they actually had a couple random clinics in Los Angeles, promise results with two hours, and my insurance would cover it. I called the LA clinics and those two-hour tests are actually ONLY available at one Seattle mobile testing location specifically for Alaska Airline flights to Seattle. The tests in LA take 5-7 days to get back. Just FYI.
Again a bit OT but since we aren’t at Oct 15 yet....

I am booked for a Carbon test at the pop-up mobile testing site in SEA. It is $135 if you are flying AS and $180 (I think) if not. I am flying out on AS. But there is no requirement that says you have to prove you are flying AS. They didn’t even ask that question when I made the appointment. So what is to stop anyone who is flying on any other airline from booking through the AS link just to get the rapid test before they fly out of SEA, or just to get the cheaper price if they need it for any other destination or any other reason?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 6:17 pm

Denver resident heading to Lanai for a honeymoon (hopefully) Oct 22. Booked a PCR test with National Jewish since they were a CLIA certified lab for Oct 19 and was planning on a backup test at UC Health on Oct 19 as well (also CLIA certified). (Wasted $190 for two people).

New guidance came out and now going to attempt to certify via Vault. Signed up on a Sunday (11th) and they shipped it out overnight on a Monday (12th) with expected arrival Tues (13th). I'll take the test on Mon Oct 19th and overnight it back in. Hope it arrives at the lab on the morning of Oct 20th and they can get it turned in 48 hours. Fingers crossed. There doesn't seem to be another alternative since neither CVS nor Walgreens are testing here and Quest is a crapshoot on turnaround time.

Was hoping UC Heath/National Jewish would suffice as they have their own labs and have been turning tests within 24-48 hrs, but that new guidance really screwed us in Denver (and probably lots of other places as well). Whats the point of mentioning CLIA certified labs in any official announcement unless you plan on allowing valid tests from them. Just adds to the confusion.

I'm sure everyone can find this on their own, but here's the official link for convenience
https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/
mtofell likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I don't see the confusion. Their Trusted Partners are clearly listed. This list also adds 3 airlines: https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroom/latest-news/governors-office-news-release-gov-ige-announces-trusted-testing-and-travel-partners-for-covid-19-pre-travel-testing-program-that-starts-october-15/

With all the changes over the past few months the whole process has been confusing & frustrating though. Hope your honeymoon happens.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Finkface
Again a bit OT but since we aren’t at Oct 15 yet....

I am booked for a Carbon test at the pop-up mobile testing site in SEA. It is $135 if you are flying AS and $180 (I think) if not. I am flying out on AS. But there is no requirement that says you have to prove you are flying AS. They didn’t even ask that question when I made the appointment. So what is to stop anyone who is flying on any other airline from booking through the AS link just to get the rapid test before they fly out of SEA, or just to get the cheaper price if they need it for any other destination or any other reason?
Carbon's website says that they will want to see the AS confirmation code when doing the intake before the test at your appointment.
As part of the intake process, have your Alaska flight confirmation code ready to present to a Carbon clinician. You'll then receive a rapid COVID-19 test.
I would have expected that someone would have done this by now and reported in the AS thread, but I've seen nothing.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 8:43 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Carbon's website says that they will want to see the AS confirmation code when doing the intake before the test at your appointment.

I would have expected that someone would have done this by now and reported in the AS thread, but I've seen nothing.
Well it isn’t the 15th yet so I expect no one has used Carbon yet. Since they guarantee a 2 hour turnaround, I can’t see people going in this early with all the uncertainty and they only offer tests on Mon, Wed and Fridays, Today was the first day. So probably the first people to use it will be this coming Wednesday. Hopefully someone will report back this week. If not, I will be the guinea pig on Oct 23.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA
I've done Color test in SF a couple times earlier in July. 1 came out in 2 days, the other one in 3 days.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Shelf Life of Mailed Tests?

For those going the mail-in route, what is the shelf life of the test kits?

Whether you're in Hawaii or on the mainland, would it make sense to order one/some to have on-hand and take it (via the telehealth route) when you're within 72 hours of departure to Hawaii?
Old Oct 13, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
Today I booked a flight for Monday 19 October and am hoping to be able to do the test through CVS. I am in San Diego and that seems to be the only game in town available to me. However CVS does not allow scheduling more than two days in advance so I am hoping that I can snag and appointment for Friday. If I am not able to get a test on Friday I will probably cancel the flight. I know CVS is 2-3 days turnaround so it may involve a short quarantine in HNL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.