Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Pre-Check at Hawaii Airports" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Wild_Fire_HI
I was invited by UA to join the PreCheck program...do you know how UA invited premium flyers can find a number if one exsist?

I guess we will wait another X years for HA to decide if they want to participate and invite their Plantniums and Golds into the PreCheck program or we have to pay TSA to join the trusted traveler program.
UA established one of the first programs to invite FF to have PreCheck access. They did this without requiring a Trusted Traveller program number. They did not issue you an number, which can only be obtained from a Federal agency. I got mine with Global Entry, entered it into my HA and UA profiles, and I am "in" with PreCheck.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: HA Platinum, UA 1K, CO
Mahalo 747FC for the response. I'l check into Global Entry.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:51 pm

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by slippahs
....HA agents were shocked when I told them that I had parked in the interisland terminal, walked to the the Precheck screening point near the UA counters and then walked all the way back for the HA interisland flight.

I followed your lead and did the same...it wasn't a bad walk. Scanning our HA BP at T5 hopefully will entice HA to get a move on. I spoke for about 5 min with a TSA supervisor at T5 checkpoint about them opening in the HA terminal. Apparently they would have opened on the 1st of Sept but HA has been "particular" about the exact space they will occupy. TSA needs space to redirect people who don't qualify for pre-check once they make it to the agent scanning the BP. HA is still in talks with the TSA. They are now expecting a late Sept launch if things move forward at the current pace but it could be longer. I would imagine that the post office/inter-island terminal end would be the best spot as the center ALWAYS seems to be jammed.

A side note...in the last week two separate HA gate agents at LAS and PHX didn't seem to understand the pre-check program even after explaining it to them. They saw it on the BP but didn't grasp the program or that HA is participating and that's why it's on the BP. I was very polite and both times simply left the counter and processed through the normal line. I would have liked to be directed to the pre-check line if it is indeed available in the airport that they are servicing. When I walked up to the checkpoint I noticed the sign in LAS but it was not open at that time. I didn't see signage for it in PHX (which was the reason I asked the agent at the counter).

Last edited by thehoax; Sep 9, 2013 at 1:09 am Reason: Left out last line
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by thehoax
A side note...in the last week two separate HA gate agents at LAS and PHX didn't seem to understand the pre-check program ... I would have liked to be directed to the pre-check line if it is indeed available in the airport that they are servicing.
Both LAS and PHX have Pre-Check.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:12 am

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
Both LAS and PHX have Pre-Check.
Thanks for that....I normally check the locations ahead of time. It was a costly mistake in PHX as it was a heavy snowbird airport day. =long slow lines.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:02 pm

Known traveler #

With our talk here about pre-check area coming to HA, is everyone experiencing Hawaiians glitch that is not bringing over the Known traveler # when you check in for a flight. I have had to manually enter it for 5 R/T's this month. It would be nice if the number in your profile would carry over during check in. I hate to always say that HA is behind but their check in program is among the newest in the field (last 8 month) and this is not a problem i experience on other airlines during check in.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

With our talk here about pre-check area coming to HA, is everyone experiencing Hawaiians glitch that is not bringing over the Known traveler # when you check in for a flight. I have had to manually enter it for 5 R/T's this month. It would be nice if the number in your profile would carry over during check in. I hate to always say that HA is behind but their check in program is among the newest in the field (last 8 month) and this is not a problem i experience on other airlines during check in.
Some 20 segments since HA started putting Precheck on the boarding passes and all have been going through for me from the number in my profile. Try tweeting HA. They're fairly responsive.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 2:21 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Some 20 segments since HA started putting Precheck on the boarding passes and all have been going through for me from the number in my profile. Try tweeting HA. They're fairly responsive.
Will do...i'm glad to hear there might be a quick fix.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:39 am

LAUNCHED Pre-check now active in HNL T2

Just went through Pre-check this morning at Hawaiians T 2/3 main security area. With it being a Friday morning and Ironman happening this weekend the security line was especially long for gold/plat on the left. I switched and went over to the right side and the gold/plat line is now a TSA-Pre line.

Observations:
This is a TSA operated program so this write up is not directed at HA.
- It was fairly chaotic today in that area. The gentleman behind me didn't get a triple beep but showed his global entry card and was let through (without scanning it). After the BP check it becomes kinda hokey when you compare it to other pre-checks. There are two belts that feed one scanner (known vs unknown travelers). The belt on the right is "known" pre-check (no shoes off) and the left is "unknown" general pax. There were non pre-check passengers switching lines from the reg security line belt to the shorter pre-check belt. That's where the security chaos happened as the tsa/cas agents would corral some back to the appropriate line and others got through behind them. This essentially circumvented the background clearance needed on the known traveler members belt. Hopefully todays experience is the exception and not the norm for how pre-check will be implimented here.

Concerns about air travel security are always an issue and it was again discussed on FT this week.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...awareness.html

After a few months of delays, It's nice to see it finally arrived to T2/3.

Last edited by thehoax; Oct 11, 2013 at 11:43 am Reason: added FT link
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

After a few months of delays, It's nice to see it finally arrived to T2/3.
Yikes. Sounds like it's poorly implemented. I thought it was going to be the far right or far left screening checkpoints (on the ends of the i/i terminal). But to put it in the middle? Hmmm...
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:18 pm

Yikes. Sounds like it's poorly implemented. I thought it was going to be the far right or far left screening checkpoints (on the ends of the i/i terminal). But to put it in the middle? Hmmm...
Agreed! The middle has always been controlled chaos and now they added another level of craziness...just for fun
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This was circulated to the corporate program participants today:

October 10, 2013

**Please post & distribute**
Please do not respond to this email.
No reply is sent from this email address.

HA Joins TSA Pre✓

Starting today, many of our guests will be able to enjoy the convenience and speed of expedited security screening. The Transportation Security Administration is expanding the TSA Pre✓ program to include Hawaiian Airlines customers traveling from HNL, OGG, and LIH, along with our North America gateways at SEA, PDX, SAN, OAK, and SJC. JFK will be added in December and KOA and SMF will join in 2014. Special signage at airports will indicate where TSA Pre✓ is available.

TSA Pre✓ allows customers with a known traveler number to use a dedicated lane where they won’t be required to remove shoes, belts, jackets, laptops, or liquids from their carry-on bags. TSA expects a 50 percent reduction in the time qualified passengers spend going through the security checkpoint.

Beginning in March, our guests will be able to obtain a known traveler number by providing their detailed information at www.tsa.gov and completing a background check. Members of trusted traveler programs administered by Customs and Border Protection, including Global Entry and NEXUS are automatically eligible to participate.

“The Pre✓ program is based on the idea that of the 1.8 million passengers that depart U.S. airports per day, 99.9 percent pose no risk to commercial aviation, so we welcome the ability to expedite the movement of passengers that can be identified as low-risk through the airport security checkpoints,” said Director of Regulatory Security Eric Kaler. “Hawaiian Airlines has long advocated for the placement of TSA Pre✓ lanes at all Hawai’i airports. With thousands of passengers moving between the islands and to North America each day, we have an interest in helping to expand the number of guests eligible for this program.”
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: HA Platinum, UA 1K, CO
I'm off to Hilo tomorrow, no TSA PRE on my HNL to ITO BP, but got TSA PRE on my ITO to HNL BP. Go fiqure, no good to me with no TSA-PRE in ITO. Ahh must be a governement operation as it makes no sense. I have no GE or TSA number, but as a UA Plat TSA PRE approved traveler, I guess it finally got extended over to HA. Who knows, absolutely no communications from anyone, the carriers or TSA. I will find out later in the week as I have additional flights.

Now what about LAS? LAS has a TSA PRE line and I have used it on UA, is HA going to participate at LAS with TSA PRE? I travel on HA 4-5 times a year to LAS and a couple of times on UA... Both carriers using the same terminal.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Wild_Fire_HI
I'm off to Hilo tomorrow, no TSA PRE on my HNL to ITO BP, but got TSA PRE on my ITO to HNL BP. Go fiqure, no good to me with no TSA-PRE in ITO. Ahh must be a governement operation as it makes no sense. I have no GE or TSA number, but as a UA Plat TSA PRE approved traveler, I guess it finally got extended over to HA. Who knows, absolutely no communications from anyone, the carriers or TSA. I will find out later in the week as I have additional flights.

Now what about LAS? LAS has a TSA PRE line and I have used it on UA, is HA going to participate at LAS with TSA PRE? I travel on HA 4-5 times a year to LAS and a couple of times on UA... Both carriers using the same terminal.
Easy fix for now is to sign up for Global Entry. HNL enrollment center is pretty chill and interview is fast.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:27 am

Easy fix for now is to sign up for Global Entry. HNL enrollment center is pretty chill and interview is fast.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.