Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Pre-Check at Hawaii Airports" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Pre-Check at Hawaii Airports" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:44 am

Correct. But that's been the problem at other airports that have shared elite lines: cooperation and cost sharing among competitors takes effort and time to arrange.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by udontknowme
Correct. But that's been the problem at other airports that have shared elite lines: cooperation and cost sharing among competitors takes effort and time to arrange.
Not sure I understand if there are any costs, at HNL, they just have a separate entrance to the same security checkpoints that everybody uses.

There's no room at OGG for additional checkpoints. They just expanded the main checkpoint area and added several new lanes there. They opened the new lanes up in December. That in itself has helped quite a bit, and they are still trying to find the best way to organize the lines and ID check stations to feed the belts fast enough. (Which they really haven't figured out yet, IMO.)

But everything takes time in Hawaii, especially on the outer islands. There was a lot of patting on the back when they opened up the expanded checkpoint area on OGG because it "only" took them 8 months to do it. A real achievement given the status quo with the government bureaucracy around here.

When you go upstairs you'll see the broken and closed moving walkways that have sat like that for years now with orange cones blocking the way. Meanwhile they spent around 100 million on a walkway at HNL. I wonder if they ever finished that? It was to connect one of the piers to immigration so pax arriving from Asia at that pier would not have to use the wiki wiki like the rest of us arriving at the Diamond Head wing have to when arriving from a foreign port.

The airport infrastructure is so outdated here, it's a joke.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 13, 2013 at 4:02 pm
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
The moving walkways leading from the Ewa gates at HNL to immigration have been complete for a long time.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Not sure I understand if there are any costs, at HNL, they just have a separate entrance to the same security checkpoints that everybody uses.

The airport infrastructure is so outdated here, it's a joke.-David
The costs of the separate entrance include the line credential checkers as well as a square footage cost for the space utilized. If additional TSA personnel have been provided to staff the area, an additional charge accrues. As in all business, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

As for Hawaii airport infrastructure, it's hard for me to agree with you more - it's a very unfunny joke. Bad for visitors, worse for residents.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:34 am

there's been some activity on the inoperative walkways at OGG today (I was through recently so this is new and from today). The cones were removed and replaced by these barriers and it appeared that somebody has actually finally started working on them after a year or two of them being down.

Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:33 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Let's keep the thread focused on Pre-Check at Hawai`i airports, thanks.

cblaisd
Co-Moderator,
Hawai`i-based Airlines
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Chatted with a Pualani Gold flying the other day. No Precheck. So status--at least Pualani Gold--does not give one automatic Precheck. Plus there's no way to "opt in" to the program like UA.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, National EC Executive, UA & AAdvantage
Originally Posted by slippahs
Chatted with a Pualani Gold flying the other day. No Precheck. So status--at least Pualani Gold--does not give one automatic Precheck. Plus there's no way to "opt in" to the program like UA.
I thought there was no automatic process for Precheck. You had to opt-in with the carrier so they can forward your reservation info to TSA and that was only when the carrier invited you to participate. Perhaps typically slow HA is still working on the backend specifics on their systems and will roll it out in the coming weeks.

Also for HA, Precheck lines will only be offered at HNL, LAS, PDX and SEA at specific checkpoints: http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/tsa-...ing-airports-6
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Originally Posted by HA/UA_Flyer
Also for HA, Precheck lines will only be offered at HNL, LAS, PDX and SEA at specific checkpoints: http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/tsa-...ing-airports-6
Isn't Main Terminal, Checkpoint 5 at HNL the one by United? That will be a LONG walk to the HA gates and an even longer walk if you need to check-in luggage.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:17 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by stravels
Isn't Main Terminal, Checkpoint 5 at HNL the one by United? That will be a LONG walk to the HA gates and an even longer walk if you need to check-in luggage.
I suspect that the TSA will open a PreCheck lane at the Interisland Terminal. The demand from HA flyers will likely be too great to ignore.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674
I suspect that the TSA will open a PreCheck lane at the Interisland Terminal. The demand from HA flyers will likely be too great to ignore.
What is the best way to join in on the request?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
What is the best way to join in on the request?
You should use the existing PreCheck lane as often as possible. If the TSA sees a large number of HA pax qualify for PreCheck, it will likely expedite the creation of a PreCheck lane at the Interisland Terminal.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by HA/UA_Flyer
Just did this walk to see how long it'll take. At a brisk pace, it took me 15 minutes from the HA check in counters to precheck and then back to the interisland gates. Great way to work up a light sweat at 600 in the morning. Likely not as nice in the mid afternoon.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Some notes. HNL Pre opens at 5:15. I can't remember for sure but think it closes at 10:30. OGG did not have Pre as of Wednesday when the security line was horrific and did not move quickly.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by slippahs
Some notes. HNL Pre opens at 5:15. I can't remember for sure but think it closes at 10:30. OGG did not have Pre as of Wednesday when the security line was horrific and did not move quickly.
It was not open around 5:30 am on Aug. 9th. When I asked what time it opened was told around 6, or whenever they get there. Hmmm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.