Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

It Gets Better, Unless You're Fat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It Gets Better, Unless You're Fat

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2014, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
So, while I am unsure if this is some kind of 'payback' from the bear community to the buff cutie community, or just the normal, now expected ugly side of the gay community as a whole just popping up in another group - which gives even more weight to my theory and position that the nasty infighting, racism and insults need to stop before this community as a whole can claim any right to equality.
The "Bear" community has many sub types, Muscle Bears, Bears and not so in shape bears.

The Muscle Bear group is pretty set in the fact that if you don't spent 4 hours a day in the gym that you aren't worthy. The Bear group (the ones who aren't muscle bears or not so in shape bears, are pretty open to most people), and the not so in shape bears can be some of the nasty ones. Now granted, there are always people who accept those how they are.

If any of you been to IBR, Bear Pride or any other bear events you will see all types and all types of attitudes.
Old May 20, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
When was the last time you were in PSP, FLL ? two cities in which appearance means everything...
And this is why threads like this are so interesting and highlight our differences in viewpoints:

From my point of view those are cities that generally attract and embrace what I'd describe as older, larger, not exactly up-to-date on fashion gay men. I'm not knocking those (often comfortable) men, just observing that I'd say those cities are 2 places with much less emphasis on appearance than say West Hollywood, NYC/Chelsea/HK, Miami, Seattle, Barcelona, Paris, etc. etc. etc.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
And this is why threads like this are so interesting and highlight our differences in viewpoints:

From my point of view those are cities that generally attract and embrace what I'd describe as older, larger, not exactly up-to-date on fashion gay men. I'm not knocking those (often comfortable) men, just observing that I'd say those cities are 2 places with much less emphasis on appearance than say West Hollywood, NYC/Chelsea/HK, Miami, Seattle, Barcelona, Paris, etc. etc. etc.
PSP and FLL are loaded with "daddies", so they are in high demand and these men can be rather rude.

WeHo is another story, I remember a joke that the city of WeHo sends out a letter to men who will turn 35 and informs them they should move to Silverlake...
Old May 22, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
WeHo is another story, I remember a joke that the city of WeHo sends out a letter to men who will turn 35 and informs them they should move to Silverlake...
I'd say 30, not 35.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I certainly haven't witnessed the behavior that is being complained of in this thread, not for many, many years. Nor have I participated in this behavior. I still fail to understand why the simple fact that I am married to a man rather than a woman puts me under a greater obligation to try to stop this behavior, and I certainly don't understand why bocastephen's problem should have any effect on the legal status of my family.
Old May 22, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rjque
Well, I certainly haven't witnessed the behavior that is being complained of in this thread, not for many, many years. Nor have I participated in this behavior. I still fail to understand why the simple fact that I am married to a man rather than a woman puts me under a greater obligation to try to stop this behavior, and I certainly don't understand why bocastephen's problem should have any effect on the legal status of my family.
I think the point was that your obligation would be for you not to impose your personal beliefs on others if you expect others not to impose their personal beliefs on you.

Which is a strawman, of course, but people like to whine.
Old May 23, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive

"My, you are a shady elephant."
- Bianca Del Rio
Old May 24, 2014, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DallasEsq
I'd say 30, not 35.
Oh my, they lowered the age, and what under 145lbs...
Old May 27, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Wow, I need some popcorn to read ALL of this thread.

Back to like page 2/3. I personally blame FlyerTalk for being, furry and uh, big

I stumbled upon the USAirways thread of XOXO bars back in 2004ish and decided to start flying USAirways more to enjoy those amazing chocolate crunchy yet soft delicacies. HHHMMMMMMMMMM>... omg. I'd like take the entire package away from the First Class flight attendant and devour those suckers before anyone could blink. omgz.

Too bad those things aren't made anymore.. I looked at a few chocolatiers in Switzerland for them, and no luck. :/

and oh yeah, don't be fat & gay in Florida or LA where "looks" reign supreme.
Old May 27, 2014, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Reading the posts in this thread has been amusing to me to say the least. Not sure what it has to do with GLBT travel. Look, by nature men (including the breeders) are attracted by looks and looks can mean different things to different guys.

When you are young, lean muscled and beautiful its easy to critically judge others because you are sitting in the driver's seat or more precisely your are the Adonis of Grinder. But even the stunning ones grow old one day and the looks, attention and applause start to fade away. For those of us well grounded we understand if not reluctantly the circle of life, move on and if anything get a chuckle out of how juvenile it can be. Others hang on desperately doing things that only make matters worst; we all have seen them in action.

When I was in my 20s and 30s I was hot (well still not that bad now but not a young thing anymore), I knew it, I flaunted it, I usually got who I wanted. Time has moved on and so have I and I hope others will eventually be able to do the same. Moreover, you can still always look good for your age. BTW, the youth obsession is not in the gay world alone. The corporate world can be just as bad, if not worse, than the gay world when it comes to a "youthful appearance."
Old May 29, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

I had to post this photo....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.