Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

It Gets Better, Unless You're Fat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
I agree with this sentiment, and I find it increasingly hard to balance "keeping it real" with people while also dealing with the increasing hypersensitivity people have these days. I'm ok with not being everyone's cup of tea, sexually or otherwise. While I don't want to be discriminated against by a business, I think people should be free to associate with me (or not) for any reason and not be scrutinized for it.
I don't disagree - but my points about obvious racism still stand. People write in ads, or even practice to someone's face, actions or statements which are outright racist, especially to those who are Asian, and often from Black men towards non-Black men. How does this reflect on a community which is claiming a right to equality?

As for physical compatibility, the level of nastiness in this area is pretty bad. Sure, lots of people are ok to say "thank you, but I don't think we're a match", but plenty still toss out the "you don't look as good as me, so what makes you think you're allowed to speak to me?" line - is that really necessary in a community claiming a right to equality?

Although I haven't seen them post in a couple years, there was a member here from SC who used to claim that only fit or built men were worthy or attractive, and although their comments were somewhat tempered for FT consumption, when I stumbled on their bodyspace forum discussion (same online handle), the judgmental nastiness that not only came from them, but everyone else in their forum was actually shocking.

So, between what I was witnessing being thrown at my non-White friends, and the attitude from built guys to non built, I've come to the conclusion that the gay community is throwing stones in a glass house when it calls for equality...and I don't think it's being hypersensitive to react to racist comments or being verbally abused or insulted.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by bocastephen
As for physical compatibility, the level of nastiness in this area is pretty bad. Sure, lots of people are ok to say "thank you, but I don't think we're a match", but plenty still toss out the "you don't look as good as me, so what makes you think you're allowed to speak to me?" line - is that really necessary in a community claiming a right to equality?

So, between what I was witnessing being thrown at my non-White friends, and the attitude from built guys to non built, I've come to the conclusion that the gay community is throwing stones in a glass house when it calls for equality...and I don't think it's being hypersensitive to react to racist comments or being verbally abused or insulted.
We all come across that at one point or another. It's almost universally insecure people who treat others the worst. If gays are bad to one another it's only because they aren't comfortable in their own skin and feel like they have to bully others to make themselves feel better. From my perspective, if someone is going to hit on guys only based on physical traits, they need to be ready to be judged for the same shallow reasons.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
We all come across that at one point or another. It's almost universally insecure people who treat others the worst. If gays are bad to one another it's only because they aren't comfortable in their own skin and feel like they have to bully others to make themselves feel better. From my perspective, if someone is going to hit on guys only based on physical traits, they need to be ready to be judged for the same shallow reasons.
I agree - when I encounter such a person, I just assume they were the ugly duckling or flamboyant guy in high school that was bullied or picked on, and now they are returning the favor to anyone who dares remind them of their earlier self...but I no longer have sympathy for them. Earlier trauma is not justification for being a jerk present day.
Old May 12, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I agree - when I encounter such a person, I just assume they were the ugly duckling or flamboyant guy in high school that was bullied or picked on, and now they are returning the favor to anyone who dares remind them of their earlier self...but I no longer have sympathy for them. Earlier trauma is not justification for being a jerk present day.

If this is your attitude towards people, maybe this is why people reject you - not because youre fat.

(Pretty sure this was all discussed six months ago when people made offensive statements and judgments about others because they don't get asked on dates by good-looking people)
Old May 12, 2014, 5:32 pm

Earlier trauma is not justification for being a jerk present day.
No, but it is very easy to avoid all that by associating with people with whom you have common interests, rather than trying to seek others solely on the basis of looks.
Old May 12, 2014, 8:03 pm

No, but it is very easy to avoid all that by associating with people with whom you have common interests, rather than trying to seek others solely on the basis of looks.
There is nothing for me to avoid...I am seeking no one, and when I do seek someone, it is based on common interests and personality compatibility first - however in many pockets of the country, and with many men, it's the reverse.
Old May 13, 2014, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
There is nothing for me to avoid...I am seeking no one, and when I do seek someone, it is based on common interests and personality compatibility first - however in many pockets of the country, and with many men, it's the reverse.
Umm FLL, PSP, DFW are three places that come to mind...
Old May 13, 2014, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Umm FLL, PSP, DFW are three places that come to mind...
Yes all gay men in those "pockets of the country" are vain. Especially the ones who dont like self-righteous fat guys.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:09 pm

and to be clear, I am not thin. but I got over this chip on my shoulder that led me to think that all gay men were uninterested in me because of my weight. once my attitude changed, the dates rolled in
Old May 14, 2014, 10:13 am

I don' understand why you continue to torture yourself by taking part in this thread Adam1222.

Close your eyes and pretend it doesn't exist.
Old May 14, 2014, 10:57 am

I continue to hope the arrogant gay fatties of the world will learn.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
This thread is oddly inspiring. It shows how gay people are equal to other minorities and to straight people in our diverse craziness.

We can be just as open minded, close minded, crazy, judgemental, self centered, all inclusive, paranoid, giving, stubborn, generous, stupid, self loathing and self loving as the rest of this crazy world.
Old May 14, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
and to be clear, I am not thin. but I got over this chip on my shoulder that led me to think that all gay men were uninterested in me because of my weight. once my attitude changed, the dates rolled in
That you apparently feel good about yourself and have high self-esteem has nothing to do with the discussion of whether there is discrimination within our own gay community or not.

The fact is that there is.

It'd be wrong to generalize about the intention of the posters here or elsewhere about this issue. Some may have low self-esteem and blame their unhappiness on the community. Others may just simply point out that it exists and that it is kind of sad and hope that there could be something done to change discriminatory attitudes.

Your stance seems to be that you deal with it, nothing can be done, just get over it. That's fine. Not everybody is like that.

The first step for improvement to admit and recognize that something needs to be done. Denial leads nowhere.
Old May 14, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
This thread is oddly inspiring. It shows how gay people are equal to other minorities and to straight people in our diverse craziness.

We can be just as open minded, close minded, crazy, judgemental, self centered, all inclusive, paranoid, giving, stubborn, generous, stupid, self loathing and self loving as the rest of this crazy world.
Hahhahah! Truth!
Old May 14, 2014, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
It'd be wrong to generalize about the intention of the posters here or elsewhere about this issue. Some may have low self-esteem and blame their unhappiness on the community. Others may just simply point out that it exists and that it is kind of sad and hope that there could be something done to change discriminatory attitudes.

Your stance seems to be that you deal with it, nothing can be done, just get over it. That's fine. Not everybody is like that.

The first step for improvement to admit and recognize that something needs to be done. Denial leads nowhere.
The difficulty is that people are drawn to others for various reasons, and often those reasons have to do with physical attributes. Even the person who complains that "no cute guy asks me out" is really saying "only ugly/unworthy guys ask me out," which is the same discriminatory behavior that he dislikes. What do you think needs to be done?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.