Coronavirus in Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingfkb
Coronavirus in Germany

Update on entry rules: People’s Republic of China (excluding the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region) is classified as an “area of variants of concern in which a variant of particular concern threatens to emerge”

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...ublicationFile

Changes since last amendment As of 0 a.m. (midnight) on 9 January 2023, the People’s Republic of China (excluding the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region) is classified as an “area of variants of concern in which a variant of particular concern threatens to emerge” (see below for information regarding corresponding obligations to furnish proof before entry and/or obligations for random testing after entry into Germany). On account of the dynamic development of infection rates, short-notice changes to classification are possible at any time.

Note: As of 0 a.m. (midnight) on 7 January 2023, with the entry into force of the “Eighth Ordinance amending the Coronavirus Entry Regulations”, the previous category of “areas of variants of concern” (an area of variants of concern in which a variant of particular concern already exists) is complemented by an additional, new category:

An area of variants of concern in which a “variant of particular concern threatens to emerge”. Classifying an area as such is associated with an obligation to furnish proof upon entry into Germany (through proof of testing using a nucleic acid test (PCR) or PoC antigen test).

To help detect potential newly emerging or re-emerging particularly dangerous virus variants, the newly introduced section 5a of the Ordinance on Coronavirus Entry Regulations enables the competent authorities to require additional random testing after entry into Germany from areas of variants of concern.

There is no obligation to register before entry into Germany.

An obligation to quarantine (“obligation to self-isolate”) upon entry into Germany or a “ban on carriage” still only applies for regions classified as areas of variants of concern, in which a variant of particular concern already exists. The criterion for distinction is therefore whether a variant of particular concern already exists or (only) threatens to emerge.

Since beginning of April almost all rules and restrictions have been lifted!

Currently, there are no general borders closure, but see link below for restrictions. There are still controls at certain borders, but in general free movement with the European Union is possible. Currently no country is listed as a high risk area or a virus variant area. Please always check the current list at Robert-Koch-Institut (RKI) since it can change.

There are also quarantine requirements if you travel to Germany from a virus variant country. Among those are all those, who are on the list of the

The Federal Ministry of Health as set up a homepage with FAQ for those travelling to Germany. Addition information could be found on the homepage of the ministry of foreign affairs (Auswärtiges Amt)

Corona rules in Germany
In general all restrictions have been lifted. Restaurants, bars, clubs, museums, sport venues are open and can be entered without a mask or any additional checks. Only exceptions are:
Public transport: Almost in every state a FFP-2 mask is required
Hospitals, assisted living homes or other institutions with vulnerable people: A FFP-2 mask is required

3G or 2G rule (currently not applied)
If you travel around Germany you will come across the 3G or 2G rules. The G stands for
- Geimpft / Vaccinated
- Genesen / Recovered
- Getested / Tested

3G means that you must be either fully vaccinated, recovered or tested to enter a location
2G means you must be either fully vaccinated or recovered to enter a location. A negative test is NOT sufficient
In addition you need will often need an FFP2 mask.

If you see something like 2G+ or 2G Plus it means that in addition to your fully vaccination or recovery you MUST provide a negative test!

The simplest way to proof your vaccination or recovery is a digital EU certificate. If you are a tourists without access to such a certificate the yellow WHO vaccination passport is sufficient or for Americans your CDC card. Always have some kind of identification ready. Some locations are not familiar with the CDC card and you might need to discuss with them.In addition the official rule is fuzzy and leaves open what a comparable proof of vaccination is. See below:

Es muss sich um ein digitales COVID-Zertifikat der EU oder einen vergleichbaren Impfnachweis in digitaler oder verkörperter Form (Papierform) in deutscher, englischer, französischer, italienischer oder spanischer Sprache handeln. Abfotografierte verkörperte Nachweise gelten nicht als digitale Nachweise. Nachweise in digitaler Form sollten vom berechtigten Aussteller digital ausgestellt und digital dem Berechtigten übermittelt worden sein.

It must be a digital EU COVID certificate or a comparable proof of vaccination in digital or physical form (paper form) in German, English, French, Italian or Spanish. Photographed embodied evidence is not considered digital evidence. Evidence in digital form should have been issued digitally by the authorized issuer and transmitted digitally to the authorized person.

"Local Hotspot meassures" in Germany are possible

In case of high incident rate each state can decided to reimplement additional measures. Please check the websites of the individual states for more information

Curfew / limitation of movement
There are NO curfews

Gatherings
There are NO limitations

Travel
Check the current travel rules at Re-Open Europe - Germany Document checklist

Travellers over the age of 12 must carry with them proof of vaccination, recovery or a negative test result (PCR or antigen). Documents equivalent to the 'EU Digital COVID Certificate' (EUDCC) are accepted if they meet the same requirements:
  • Proof of vaccination after receiving full vaccination. Vaccine certificates are valid for 270 days. Vaccines authorised by the European Union (EU) or vaccines which are licensed in a third country and identical in formulation to a vaccine in the EU are accepted.
Or
  • Proof of recovery showing a positive PCR test result carried out at least 28 days but no more than 90 days prior.
Or
  • Negative result to a test taken no earlier than 48 hours before the actual time or scheduled time of entry. Where entry takes place using a carrier, the scheduled time of departure is decisive.
Entry from high-risk and virus variant countries/areas

Special rules apply to travellers arriving in Germany from countries designated as "high-risk" or "virus variant." High-risk areas are where there is an increased risk of infection or where there are other indications that there is such risk; virus variant areas can be areas with widespread occurence of a mutant strain of the virus that is not prevalent in Germany. With only a few exceptions, including German citizens, airlines are prohibited from carrying persons from areas of variant concern.

Although no countries or areas are currently identified as high-risk or virus variant, this situation may change at short notice:
  • Travellers arriving from such international risk areas must complete the Digital Registration on Entry form before they arrive.
  • Travellers entering Germany following a stay in a high-risk area enter home quarantine for 10 days. Home quarantine can be ended early by submitting proof of vaccination or of recovery via the upload portal Digital Registration on Entry. If these documents were already submitted, no quarantine is necessary. For all others, quarantine can only end with a negative test result.
  • Travellers approved for entry from a stay in an area of variant concern enter home quarantine for 14 days. At the time of entry they must present their carrier with a negative PCR test result. Proof of vaccination or recovery does not suffice. In the context of cross-border traffic into Germany, this proof may be demanded by the Federal Police. If using a carrier to enter Germany, the PCR test result must be less than 48 hours old at the time of the scheduled start of the journey.
  • Furthermore, the German authorities may require travellers who spent time in an area of variant concern to take additional PCR tests after entry.
  • Children who have stayed in a high-risk area are no longer required to enter quarantine on arrival.
Learn more

Federal Ministry of Health

Social Life
No limitations.

Sport
No limitations

The general rules are summarized
  • FFP2 mask for public transportation and hospitals
  • General hygienic rules recommended

Federal Government
Information on the homepage of the Federal Government in Berlin

There might be some difference as of today for the federal states:

Federal States

Baden-Württemberg
Information on Homepage

Bavaria (Bayern)
Information on homepage

Mandatory to wear FFP2 mask in public transportation.

Berlin
Information on homepage

Brandenburg
Information on homepage. You need to look for the different information There seems to be no special page.

Bremen
Information on homepage

Hamburg
Information on homepage

Hesse (Hessen)
Information on homepage

Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen)
Information on homepage

Mecklenburg-Vorpommen
Information on homepage

North Rhine - Westphalia (Nordrhein-Westfalen)
Information on homepage

Rhineland Palantine (Rheinland-Pflaz)
Information on homepage

Saarland
Information on homepage.

Saxonia (Sachsen)
Information on Homepage

Saxony-Anhalt (Sachsen-Anhalt)
Information on Homepage / detailed information Homepage

Schleswig-Holstein
Information on Homepage

Thuringia (Thüringen)
Information on Homepage

Related discussions threads about travel in / to Germany

Summer tourism in Germany
Quarantine rules relaxed (May 2021)
Covid19 testing in FRA / MUC

Updated on April 22st 2022

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Not for sitting service, whether outdoor or indoor. There will be open for take away service and delivery (via Lieferando app typically). There might or might not be a curfew when you are there (things are changing a lot every week), there might or might not be shopping under appointment.
One thing for sure: hotels are forbidden for leisure stay so your 2 days stay must be professional or you must stay with a friends (Which might also be forbidden).
Indeed. For takeaway, Lieferando and Wolt seem to work quite OK i.e., the choice of restaurants offering now delivery/pick up is considerably larger than before COVID (which can be expected as this is now probably the only business they can possibly have). There is also a 10min supermarket delivery service in Frankfurt (Gorillas) which works surprisingly good, with reasonable prices.

Other than that, it is pretty boring here -- cannot wait for some neighbouring countries to be removed from being high risk per RKI...
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
One thing for sure: hotels are forbidden for leisure stay so your 2 days stay must be professional or you must stay with a friends (Which might also be forbidden).
Question on that - I'm traveling for a family reason and in transit. Will I need to prove that I'm not a tourist to the hotel somehow? Not sure what I need to check in.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:34 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
They might ask for proof yes. In principle only business reasons are allowed and hotels do ask for a company letter or something proving that you are travelling for business.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 1:40 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteveHK
Question on that - I'm traveling for a family reason and in transit. Will I need to prove that I'm not a tourist to the hotel somehow? Not sure what I need to check in.
Depending on the federal state and city, a self declaration that you do not travel for touristic reasons is sufficent. It might be, as pointed out by fransknorge a bit difficutl, as some hotels only accept business trips. However, this is not quite correct, as it is not touristic or not lesiure.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 3:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Depending on the federal state and city, a self declaration that you do not travel for touristic reasons is sufficent. It might be, as pointed out by fransknorge a bit difficutl, as some hotels only accept business trips. However, this is not quite correct, as it is not touristic or not lesiure.
Most states seem to prohibit private travel unless it is for urgent medical or other strictly necessary reasons. A family visit would not be considered necessary I think unless it is something like a funeral, wedding, or somebody terminally ill in the immediate family.

Also, some hotels strictly limit themselves to business travellers, as you stated. I've been to such hotels and they demand you fill out the form exempting you from hospitality tax. If you file that while that travelling privately, that's tax evasion essentially.
@FLYGVA Just recall back in Nov./Dec. The same rules wrt hotels were in place as today. And several states felt the need to express what constitututes necessary travel over Christmas. If you stayed at a hotel to visit your family back home between Dec 24-26, that was considered necessary travel. Instead, booking a hotel between Dec 30-Jan 2 for a belated family visit was deemed unnecessary and hence prohibited.

Last edited by FlyerTalker324193; Apr 24, 2021 at 7:43 am
Old Apr 25, 2021, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 8mh
Most states seem to prohibit private travel unless it is for urgent medical or other strictly necessary reasons. A family visit would not be considered necessary I think unless it is something like a funeral, wedding, or somebody terminally ill in the immediate family.

Also, some hotels strictly limit themselves to business travellers, as you stated. I've been to such hotels and they demand you fill out the form exempting you from hospitality tax. If you file that while that travelling privately, that's tax evasion essentially.
@FLYGVA Just recall back in Nov./Dec. The same rules wrt hotels were in place as today. And several states felt the need to express what constitututes necessary travel over Christmas. If you stayed at a hotel to visit your family back home between Dec 24-26, that was considered necessary travel. Instead, booking a hotel between Dec 30-Jan 2 for a belated family visit was deemed unnecessary and hence prohibited.
Well, if you are witness in a court case, that is required travel, but not a business trip for the witness. In this case, you have to pay city taxes, but of course can provide a letter from court. I am not aware on any problems with this.

A colleague of me needs to visit her 85 year old mother, who is in an old-peoples home and has to deal with paperwork for the old peoples home as well as required work for three tenants with around 28 appartments. She stays once in a month in a hotel for two days and this was okay as well. And as this is a city with city taxes, she pays it as well. It might help, that she does this since three or four years and always stays in the same hotel and on a fixed base (always first Monday to Wednesday in a month). No problems so far, neither in the first lock down nor since November.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Foreign citizens (including US citizens) can enter Germany for the purposes of urgent medical treatment, not available in their home country, if the appropriate forms are completed by the physician in Germany. Details here… Of concern, I do not see the medical exemption listed in Timatic.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
In theory this is correct. I suggest, however, that you email the Federal Police in FRA, who will give you an answer which is useful to have and print out. The email address is: [email protected]
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
I agree with LondonElite - your plan appears doable, but better have a response from the German border police in case there are questions during boarding or immigration. The missing information in Timatic about medical exemptions could be a problem - for many airlines, Timatic is the authoritative source for all things immigration, so I am not 100% sure even an official response from the German border police would help should the airline decide to prevent you from boarding based on Timatic. Not sure how to deal with this, to be honest.
Thank you for these suggestions. Circling back to relate what happened in case it's helpful for others.

Travelling on AA from DFW, my relative encountered zero issues. AA did not ask the reason for the visit to Germany, nor did AA attempt to confirm that the visit was within the range of permitted reasons. Also did not ask to see the medical documentation from the physician in Germany. They wanted only to see the printed digital registration form and a copy of the negative virus test. Could not have been an easier check-in process. I wonder if it would have been the same if trying to check-in with a German airline.

When arriving in Germany of course the information about the hospital visit was checked. Everything was found to be in order and there were no issues entering the country
cockpitvisit and mustafina like this.
Old May 17, 2021, 7:33 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Individual states are slowly removing the ban on hotel tourist stays. I know that Bavaria plan do open Friday 21st hotels to tourist, with a hygiene concept and tests. I need to take a break and see something else than my 4 walls so I booked an hotel in Munich for Friday to Monday.
For locals in Munich, what is the current situation re, terrasse for restaurants and cafes ? Test needed I assume but is it ok to just show up ?
Does anyone has a good site that will be the first to publish the rules for hotel stay once they are decided ?
Old May 17, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
Individual states are slowly removing the ban on hotel tourist stays. I know that Bavaria plan do open Friday 21st hotels to tourist, with a hygiene concept and tests. I need to take a break and see something else than my 4 walls so I booked an hotel in Munich for Friday to Monday.
For locals in Munich, what is the current situation re, terrasse for restaurants and cafes ? Test needed I assume but is it ok to just show up ?
Does anyone has a good site that will be the first to publish the rules for hotel stay once they are decided ?
Außengastronomie only at the moment - no test needed if you're at a table with your own household though. Nominally you are supposed to book, but in practice I have so far been able to arrive and check in to venues without needing to do it in advance. You do need to book a slot for museums though. I would check muenchen.de for the current rules. Case incidence is around 54 at the moment so rules not likely to change before you arrive. And if you are lucky enough to be fully vaccinated, some rules don't apply to you. Viel Spaß!
Old May 17, 2021, 11:48 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Seit 10. Mai 2021 sind in der Gastronomie folgende inzidenzabhängige Öffnungen möglich, wenn die Kreisverwaltungsbehörde dies im Einvernehmen mit dem Gesundheitsministerium zulässt und bekanntmacht:
  • Bei einer stabilen 7-Tage-Inzidenz in einem Landkreis oder einer kreisfreien Stadt unter 50 kann die Öffnung der Außengastronomie wieder zugelassen werden.
  • Liegt die Inzidenz stabil zwischen 50 und 100, kann eine Öffnung der Außengastronomie nur mit vorheriger Terminbuchung zugelassen werden. Sitzen an einem Tisch Personen aus mehreren Hausständen, ist ein vor höchstens 24 Stunden durchgeführter Schnelltest oder ein vor höchstens 48 Stunden durchgeführter PCR-Test der Tischgäste erforderlich. Alternativ kann ein Nachweis über eine vollständige Impfung (abschließende Impfung vor mind. 14 Tagen) oder Genesung (mind. 28 Tage und max. 6 Monate alter positiver PCR-Test) vorgelegt werden.
Outdoor dining only, so bring warm clothes

Ab dem 21. Mai 2021 können in Landkreisen bzw. kreisfreien Städten mit einer stabilen 7-Tage-Inzidenz unter 100 wieder touristische Beherbergungsangebote zugezulassen werden. Voraussetzung ist dabei ein vor max. 24 Stunden vorgenommener negativer Corona-Test (PCR-Test, POC-Antigentest oder Selbsttest unter Aufsicht) der Gäste bei Anreise sowie jeweils alle weiteren 48 Stunden. Vollständig Geimpfte (abschließende Impfung vor mind. 14 Tagen) oder Genesene (mind. 28 Tage und max. 6 Monate alter positiver PCR-Test) sind von den Testpflichten ausgenommen. Gastronomische Angebote von Beherbergungsbetrieben auch im Innenbereich sind dann nur für Hotelgäste und nur bis 22 Uhr zulässig. Weitere Infos folgen an dieser Stelle.
Hotels can offer indoor things to their guests.

https://www.stmwi.bayern.de/coronavirus/
FLYGVA likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 1:52 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Thanks. That is is line with what I found so far. I called the hotel yesterday to verify one point (is an antigen test performed in front of a receptionist acceptable ?) and they were quite in the dark, they say they received nothing yet official about what they can accept and do. Outdoor dining but maybe some sort of things could be offer in the Executive Lounge (I will be in Hilton Munich Park).

I will report after the week-end.
mustafina likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 2:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The rules in Munich now that we are safely in the 50-100 range are detailled here: https://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/Stad...us.html#Gastro

Unless we are 5 days below 50, which looks unlikely till Friday (we only went below 50 today), there will be no change.
Old May 30, 2021, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

I have tried to update the Wiki in this thread. As the 7 day incidence ist now below 100 or even 50, the rules are relaxed in many federal states. But this also means, that rules differ depening on federal state, county or even city. In so far, it get as usual within Germany a bit complicated. Feel free to edit the WiKi if you noticed something wrong or unclear.

Thanks
mustafina likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 11:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
I have tried to update the Wiki in this thread. As the 7 day incidence ist now below 100 or even 50, the rules are relaxed in many federal states. But this also means, that rules differ depening on federal state, county or even city. In so far, it get as usual within Germany a bit complicated. Feel free to edit the WiKi if you noticed something wrong or unclear.

Thanks
Thanks for this, it's a nightmare trying to keep up with everything!

Though there are technically no closed borders at the moment, if might be worth summarising/linking to the entry requirements on the Auswärtiges Amt website. Basically most travellers are not allowed into Germany unless they are a German citizen/resident, arriving from another EEA country, are exempt in some way or are travelling from the small number of countries on the special list. There might be more questions about this as we head into the summer..

Edit: Should have included the link! https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/coronavirus
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Dusting off an older thread as much has changed since the spring.

I believe currently U.S. citizens can travel to Germany with just proof of vaccination and no COVID test is required. Is that correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.