Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus in Germany

Coronavirus in Germany

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 1, 21, 12:54 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: flyingfkb
Wiki Link
Coronavirus in Germany
Currently, there are no general borders closure, but see link below for restrictions. There are still controls at certain borders, but in general free movement with the European Union is possible. There are also limitation in regard to flights to some countries, e.g. the United Kingdom.

There are also quarantine requirements if you travel to Germany from various countries. Among those are all those, who are on the list of the Robert-Koch-Institut (RKI)

The Federal Ministry of Health as set up a homepage with FAQ for those travelling to Germany. Addition information could be found on the homepage of the ministry of foreign affairs (Auswärtiges Amt)

"Lockdown" in Germany started December 16, 2020

The various lockdown restrictions depend on the 7-day incidence in a city or county and can vary from state to sate. The general thresholds to look for are lower 35, 35 to 50, 50 to 100, or above 100. The 7-day incidence which applies for you depends on the city or county you are staying. This means if the incidence value differs between two counties (for example one below 50 and the other above 100) different restrictions might be in place!

As of November 02, 2020 Germany, entered into a lockdown light. This did however not reduced the number of Covid19 cases. Therefore on December 13, 2020 Germany announced a hard Lockdown for December 16, 2020 to April 18, 2021. If the 7-day incidence will be below 35, the restrictions could be lifted. Tighter restrictions are possible n again, if the 7-day incidence will rise above 100. These lies within the regulation and power of the federal states as well as counties.

As of April 24, 2021 there are additional measurements, the so called "federal emergency break". If in a city or region a 7-day incidence will rise above 100, the more restrictive rules of the federal government apply, if the local rules are not more strict.

Curfew / limitation of movement
If there are more than 100 new covid19 cases per 100,000 inhabitants, a curfew between 22:00 and 05:00 applies. An exception applies for sport (alone like jogging) between 22:00 and 24:00. There are different rules in some federal states.
Exceptions apply if you need to go to work, for medical reasons and in urgent cases.

Some region / federal states have additional curfews.

Gatherings
Family gatherings depend on the incidence value. In can vary from one household plus one additional person to up to three households and a maximum of 10 people.

Travel
Check the current travel rules at Re-Open Europe - Germany Residents of the following third countries can enter Germany without restrictions: Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand.
Upon confirmation of mutual entry possibilities, the list will also include: China, Hong Kong and Macao.

For all persons residing in a third country that is not mentioned above, restrictions on travel continue to apply and these persons may enter Germany only for urgent reasons.
Business Travel is allowed, but curfew rules may apply. You should keep a invitation or statement of your company, that your travel is business related. In some federal states you need to fill a self declaration.
If you travel for leisure, some hotels require a negative covid-test or you could perform a self test under supervision by the hotel. Please check with the hotel, as this differ.
Public transportation is running. No information of reduction of trains by Deutsche Bahn, but given the curfew this may change. Please check of updates.
This is in regard to travel in Germany.

Germans are allowed to do leisure travel to other countries if permitted. Standard quarantine rules apply in this case.
FFP2 or medical mask have to be worn while traveling or use public transportation

Social Life
Restaurants, bars, theatres, operas, music hall are closed, and events are cancelled. In some areas outdoor dining is allowed again and culture venues are opening again.
Shops remain open selling essential goods (e.g. drugstores, supermarkets, pharmacies, ). They must follow the rules for social distancing and the number of visitors is limited to a certain number. Shop with non-essential goods (e.g. Saturn, IKEA, Peek and Cloppenburg, Thalia) are available with a registration for a time slot or a negative covid-test or with limitation to the number of people in the store (this depends on the rules in the federal state / county / city). FFP2 or medical mask have to be worn in shops and malls; this only applies if the 3 day incidence is below 150. If the incidence is higher, only click and collect is allowed.

Sport
Leisure sport is possible if you do it on your own (like running in the forest). Gyms are usually closed if the 7 day incidence is above 50. This applies for swimming pools, saunas and steam bath. There is no general rule, this depends on the rules in each federal state, and sometimes even county and city.
All amateur sport events are cancelled as well.

The general rules are summarized
  • club, discos, local pubs, restaurant (but take away is again allowed) are closed if 7 day incidence is above 35, al fresco dining is allowed
  • museums, theatres, operas are closed or access is limited
  • sport facilities such a swimming pools, gym / fitness-center are closed if 7 day incidence is above 50, sport on your own is allowed
  • essential shops are open, non-essential shop are closed or have limited access if incidence if above 50
  • Ban of large gatherings
  • family gatherings are allowed, depending on the 7 day incidence (excluding children below the age of 14, various rules in the federal states in regard to children)

Federal Government
Information on the homepage of the Federal Government in Berlin

There might be some difference as of today for the federal states:

Federal States

Baden-Württemberg
Information on Homepage

Bavaria (Bayern)
Information on homepage

Mandatory to wear FF2 mask in public transportation and shops. It is unclear, if this also applies to long distance trains running through Bavaria but also passing other federal states without this requirements. Currently, it seems, that this is not the case.

Berlin
Information on homepage

Brandenburg
Information on homepage. You need to look for the different information There seems to be no special page.

Bremen
Information on homepage

Hamburg
Information on homepage
Curfew starts at 21:00

Hesse (Hessen)
Information on homepage

Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen)
Information on homepage

Mecklenburg-Vorpommen
Information on homepage

North Rhine - Westphalia (Nordrhein-Westfalen)
Information on homepage

Rhineland Palantine (Rheinland-Pflaz)
Information on homepage

Saarland
Information on homepage.

Saxonia (Sachsen)
Information on Homepage

Saxony-Anhalt (Sachsen-Anhalt)
Information on Homepage / detailed information Homepage

Schleswig-Holstein
Information on Homepage

Thuringia (Thüringen)
Information on Homepage

Related discussions threads about travel in / to Germany

Summer tourism in Germany
Quarantine rules relaxed (May 2021)
Covid19 testing in FRA / MUC

Updated on June1st 2021

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 5, 20, 8:41 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 25+ BadgeMarriott 100+ Badge

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Accor Diamond; GHA Black; SLH Indulged; IHG Plat Amb
Indeed the demographics and the nature of the destination can be revealing. For an Alpine resort if I was in charge of the hotel I would consider simply closing because I guess they are unlikely to get lots of non-tourists which would avoid the potential burden of policing incoming guests. In a city hotel, if they ask a letter from employer and reach out to guests ahead of the stay for such letter, that is indeed a reasonable effort and not too much to ask of hotels. I guess there will still be cases of self-employed or other travellers without a letter but perhaps they could cover 80% or more of the business travel cases.
Old Nov 6, 20, 7:51 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
Indeed the demographics and the nature of the destination can be revealing. For an Alpine resort if I was in charge of the hotel I would consider simply closing because I guess they are unlikely to get lots of non-tourists which would avoid the potential burden of policing incoming guests. In a city hotel, if they ask a letter from employer and reach out to guests ahead of the stay for such letter, that is indeed a reasonable effort and not too much to ask of hotels. I guess there will still be cases of self-employed or other travellers without a letter but perhaps they could cover 80% or more of the business travel cases.
There are also other hints. If you check-in with your partner or children it´s more likely there are questions asked. Also this is not the first time and not the only reason. In March/ April touristic stays were also forbidden, but some hotels (like Adlon) were open. Also in Berlin you have to pay a 5 % Tourist tax. You mustn´t pay it if on a business trip and therefore they ask for a confirmation. I never had to proof something (didn´t visit Berlin as a tourist for over 10 years) as I always asked for a bill on my business.
Also I doubt many "touristic" hotels outside the cities are open and considering regarding the actual Situation and closures many tourists like to stay at the still opne hotels. So in 99,9 % no one will stay at one of the open hotels at the moment if not 100% necessary.
escape4 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 20, 3:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
There are also other hints. If you check-in with your partner or children it´s more likely there are questions asked. Also this is not the first time and not the only reason. In March/ April touristic stays were also forbidden, but some hotels (like Adlon) were open. Also in Berlin you have to pay a 5 % Tourist tax. You mustn´t pay it if on a business trip and therefore they ask for a confirmation. I never had to proof something (didn´t visit Berlin as a tourist for over 10 years) as I always asked for a bill on my business.
I have been required to prove the business purpose in Berlin, e.g. at the Pullman. Might have something to do with me occasionally travelling for work on the weekends.

But yeah, I agree with the previous posters that a number of hotels catering very strongly to tourists will simply close. Others may or may not police. Hotels know their customers. I bet most of the time, their judgement call whether somebody is traveling for business or pleasure is correct.
Old Nov 12, 20, 2:56 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
What about staying overnight at an airport hotel before an early morning flight? Surely the flight ticket showing I was leaving the next day would suffice!
Old Nov 12, 20, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
What about staying overnight at an airport hotel before an early morning flight? Surely the flight ticket showing I was leaving the next day would suffice!
What would be the purpose of this trip?
offerendum likes this.
Old Nov 12, 20, 4:13 pm

The purpose would be to get back to Switzerland where I am working. I suppose I should get a Bescheinigung from my employer saying I work there. But they will do it in French.
Old Nov 12, 20, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It probably not a bad idea.
offerendum likes this.
Old Nov 19, 20, 8:50 am

I am still wondering about this, because I am going to be forced into this course of action due to a sheer lack of flights. For a start, I will call a couple of possible hotels and see what they say. Are there not any clear guidelines anywhere?
Old Nov 19, 20, 10:16 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Are there not any clear guidelines anywhere?
Not really. The ordinances are often relatively vague and leave way for interpretation.
Old Nov 19, 20, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think your best bet is to call a few hotels and ask them what their procedures are.
Old Nov 20, 20, 8:29 am

Spot on. I did call the one that I reserved and they said that I don't need a government Bescheinigung or anything like that, just a letter of confirmation from my work that I have to travel. So hopefully it will all go smoothly. That was just one employee...I hope the next one doesn't have different ideas. But I reckon a statement, written in German and stamped, from my employer should do the trick.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Nov 23, 20, 12:33 pm

How is the Schengen arrival experience in FRA these days - are there extra checkpoints due to Covid-19, or do you just walk to the outside like in the good old days?

German authorities reported checking several thousand of incoming travelers in FRA, of whom 20% got caught providing false information on arrival. Are they doing these checks for non-Schengen arrivals only, or is Schengen affected too?

Thanks!
Old Nov 23, 20, 12:40 pm
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Sapphire (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Diamond
Do you have a source for the 20% ?
Old Nov 23, 20, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge View Post
Do you have a source for the 20% ?
Only German though:

https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/coro...e-b92ad1e2adc0
Old Nov 23, 20, 3:32 pm

To avoid any misunderstanding: I am not planning to provide false info, I am just curious if I have to expect any queues leaving the Schengen airside area.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: