Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus in Germany

Coronavirus in Germany

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 25, 20, 6:11 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: flyingfkb
Wiki Link
Coronavirus in Germany

Germany has closed its borders to Austria, France, Luxemburg, Switzerland and Luxembourg.
Denmark, Poland and the Czech Republic have closed its boders to Germany.

Germany implements the entry restrictions for non-EU citizens recommended by the European Commission immediately, several sources report. According to the FAZ, the first affected flight was a TK flight into FRA last night where non-EU citizens with "non-essential" travel were denied entry.

These restrictions are supposed to remain in place for 30 days. Norway, Switzerland and the UK are exempt; its residents can continue to fly into Germany. There are a number of further exemptions: People with a permanent residence title for a EU country, medical personnel and experts on the coronavirus, diplomats, passengers in transit back to their country of residence, and people importing goods into the EU.

In so far, there are only open borders to Belgium and The Netherlands (as of March 17, 2020 07:30 CET). However Belgium has a curfew

The general rules are published on the homepage of the federal goverment. This includes the closing of
  • club, discos, local pubs, restaurant (but not take away restaurants)
  • museums, theatres, operas
  • sport facilities such a swimming pools, gym / fitness-centre
  • outlet-centre (but not shops in general)
Ban of gatherings of two or more people starting March 23, 00:01 CET.

There are some differnce as of today for the federal states:

Federal States

Baden-Württemberg
Information on Homepage

General rule.
Freiburg: Lockdown till April 03, 2020

All airport in the state of Baden-Württemberg (Stuttgart, Baden-Baden, Friedrichshafen) are or will be closed. Remain only open for citizens returing to BW.
Public transportation is running

Bavaria (Bayern)
Information on homepage

Bavaria declared the state of emergency.
Lockdown. Access only to supermarkets and shops which are allowed to open.
People are only allowed to go on their own to supermarkets etc.

Berlin
Information on homepage

General rule, but no lockdown.
Public transportation is running.

Brandenburg
Information on homepage. You need to look for the different information.There seems to be no special page.

Public transportation is running.

Bremen
Information on homepage

Generel rule, but no lockdown
Public transportation is running (but on reduced schedule, )

Hamburg
Information on homepage

Generel rule, but no lockdown
Public transportation is running

Hesse (Hessen)
Information on homepage

Lockdown, access only to supermarkets and shop which are allowed to open.
Only on your own, not with partner etc.
Public transportation is running (but on reduced schedule, most cities on Saturday or holiday timetetable).
Frankfurt Airport is considered a major and important airport and most likely will remain open. There are no announcements for the other airports in Hessen.

Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen)
Information on homepage

General rule, but so far no lockdown.
Public transportaion is running (but on reduced schedule).

No leisure stay in hotels - needs clarification if this means business trips (e.g. people who need to be in the office).
The island in the North Sea are closed and could not be accessed.

Mecklenburg-Vorpommen
Information on homepage

No leisure stay in hotels.

North Rhine - Westphalia (Nordrhein-Westfalen)
Information on homepage

No leisure stay in hotels - needs clarification if this means business trips (e.g. people who need to be in the office)

Public transportaion is running (but on reduced schedule, most cities on Saturday timetetable). See Mobil NRW Homepage or the homepage for local transportation networks for details. Will start March 23, 2020 and run till April 19, 2020. Only half of the trains are running.
Düsseldorf Airport is considered a major and important airport and most likely will remain open. There are no announcements for the other airports in NW.

Rhineland Palantine (Rheinland-Pflaz)
Information on homepage

General rule, no lockdown.
Public transport as normal, no other measures.

Saarland
Information on homepage.

Lockdown till April 03, 2020. Access only to supermarkets and shop which are allowed to open. Only on your own, i.e. one person

Saxonia (Sachsen)
Information on Homepage

All museums run by the federal state are closed till April 19, 2020.

Saxony-Anhalt (Sachsen-Anhalt)
Information on Homepage / detailed information Homepage

No leisure stay in hotels; business stays are allowed.

Schleswig-Holstein
Information on Homepage

Thuringia (Thüringen)
Information on Homepage

General rule, but no lockdown
No leisure stay in hotels
Public transport as normal, no other measures

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 22, 20, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL**; HH Diamond
Now Hessen has said that people are only allowed to go out alone.

Fedaralism is being tested here, with individual states reversing national agreements within hours of them having been agreed.
Old Mar 22, 20, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer View Post
What I mean is friends popping over for dinner and a bottle of wine.
Officially no, is what I read.
Old Mar 22, 20, 4:29 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
What I mean is friends popping over for dinner and a bottle of wine.
It should also be included in the ban.
I must be honest that I didn't take the virus serious enough for a long time. But things like this should be tabu quite now so we can enjoy them in the future.
dj_jay_smith likes this.
Old Mar 23, 20, 2:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland View Post
Now Hessen has said that people are only allowed to go out alone.
That was a misqoute by the minster president of Hessen. It is still allowed to go out with two.
Old Mar 23, 20, 8:51 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
So the chances of me making it to my other residence in Oberhausen are probably next to nil? I am now a Swiss resident, but I still have the original German Anmeldebestätigung in Oberhausen and I reckon any call to any Amt won't yield much response at the moment. In reality, I think I will sit it out here in Montreux for the moment, but the whole thing is getting closer. The ski town of Verbier is going to have to go into lockdown and quarantine, the situation is so bad.
Old Mar 23, 20, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
So the chances of me making it to my other residence in Oberhausen are probably next to nil? I am now a Swiss resident, but I still have the original German Anmeldebestätigung in Oberhausen and I reckon any call to any Amt won't yield much response at the moment. In reality, I think I will sit it out here in Montreux for the moment, but the whole thing is getting closer. The ski town of Verbier is going to have to go into lockdown and quarantine, the situation is so bad.
Scenically I would stay in Montreux and not go to Oberhausen, but if you still have the Anmeldebestätigung I would imagine they would allow you to cross the border into Germany.
Old Mar 23, 20, 9:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
Which one is your Hauptwohnsitz?
Old Mar 24, 20, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Scenically I would stay in Montreux and not go to Oberhausen, but if you still have the Anmeldebestätigung I would imagine they would allow you to cross the border into Germany.
I think I am better in Montreux too! I reckon too that with the Anmeldebestätigung I would be able to wing it. But I think I will stay put.

Which one is your Hauptwohnsitz?
Montreux is actually my Hauptwohnsitz these days (with Swiss permit).
Old Mar 24, 20, 3:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
I think I am better in Montreux too! I reckon too that with the Anmeldebestätigung I would be able to wing it. But I think I will stay put.

Montreux is actually my Hauptwohnsitz these days (with Swiss permit).
To be honest, I would probably stay put in Montreux, as long as you are somewhere nice with decent views.
Old Mar 24, 20, 3:20 pm

Very much, even with a garden. Lots of nice walks, but it's best avoiding the lakeside because the usual stupid people are down there: huffing, coughing, sweating, spitting joggers, youths whizzing past on cycles just centimeters from you, people who seem to bunch up in the same place and think social distancing doesn't apply to them. The way to go is inland, on the countless trails up the mountain side, where you don't meet a single soul (all those tough, clever people at the lakeside just can't face the thought of walking up even the slightest incline).

(I know it's good to go jogging and all that, but at the moment I just don't want to be anywhere near them, to be honest).
Old Mar 24, 20, 3:24 pm

Very much, even with a garden. Lots of nice walks, but it's best avoiding the lakeside because the usual stupid people are down there: huffing, coughing, sweating, spitting joggers, youths whizzing past on cycles just centimeters from you, people who seem to bunch up in the same place and think social distancing doesn't apply to them. The way to go is inland, on the countless trails up the mountain side, where you don't meet a single soul (all those tough, clever people at the lakeside just can't face the thought of walking up even the slightest incline).

(I know it's good to go jogging and all that, but at the moment I just don't want to be anywhere near them, to be honest).
Well, I must admit I'm not the greatest fan of inclines - that's why I like the paths next to Bodensee.

At the moment, I'm stuck in the English Midlands. I probably could get back to Austria, even in the car, but there doesn't seem to be much point at the moment.
Old Mar 27, 20, 11:47 am

I probably could get back to Austria, even in the car,
I would think this is highly unlikely as the French, Belgian, German and Swiss borders are closed.
offerendum likes this.
Old Mar 27, 20, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Alsacienne View Post
I would think this is highly unlikely as the French, Belgian, German and Swiss borders are closed.
I believe it is still possible via NL.
Old Mar 27, 20, 3:35 pm

@The_Bouncer ... but how will you get from NL to D to A?
Old Mar 27, 20, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alsacienne View Post
@The_Bouncer ... but how will you get from NL to D to A?
By car?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: