FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus in Germany
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2021, 11:51 am
ExpatExp

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Foreign citizens (including US citizens) can enter Germany for the purposes of urgent medical treatment, not available in their home country, if the appropriate forms are completed by the physician in Germany. Details here… Of concern, I do not see the medical exemption listed in Timatic.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
In theory this is correct. I suggest, however, that you email the Federal Police in FRA, who will give you an answer which is useful to have and print out. The email address is: [email protected]
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
I agree with LondonElite - your plan appears doable, but better have a response from the German border police in case there are questions during boarding or immigration. The missing information in Timatic about medical exemptions could be a problem - for many airlines, Timatic is the authoritative source for all things immigration, so I am not 100% sure even an official response from the German border police would help should the airline decide to prevent you from boarding based on Timatic. Not sure how to deal with this, to be honest.
Thank you for these suggestions. Circling back to relate what happened in case it's helpful for others.

Travelling on AA from DFW, my relative encountered zero issues. AA did not ask the reason for the visit to Germany, nor did AA attempt to confirm that the visit was within the range of permitted reasons. Also did not ask to see the medical documentation from the physician in Germany. They wanted only to see the printed digital registration form and a copy of the negative virus test. Could not have been an easier check-in process. I wonder if it would have been the same if trying to check-in with a German airline.

When arriving in Germany of course the information about the hospital visit was checked. Everything was found to be in order and there were no issues entering the country