Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by ddutil
I don't want to rain on everybody's feel good parade here, but I made 32 loans and have a 7.93% default rate. Everything I read about Kiva is how wonderful it is and how you never lose money. You can lose money. If you want to give to charity don't let me stand in your way, but if you want to get miles with a small risk of loss, this is not the place to do it.
Is that default or delinquency rate? Big diff.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I don't want to rain on everybody's feel good parade here, but I made 32 loans and have a 7.93% default rate. Everything I read about Kiva is how wonderful it is and how you never lose money. You can lose money. If you want to give to charity don't let me stand in your way, but if you want to get miles with a small risk of loss, this is not the place to do it.
The overall default rate is 1.1% on Kiva and falling. That is to say 98.9% of all funds get repaid fully.

Some borrowers may be late in paying their installments as HansGolden has pointed out but ultimately, they catch up and pay back. I currently have 8 loans of 270 paying back that are delinquent, but usually by the end of the month, almost all my loans have caught up. It is important that although the bulk of repayments occurs on the 15th, the actual pay date is the following first of the month.

and while miles are important to the community, one should also consider the lasting effects your loans has to the borrower giving them a chance to lift themselves into self-sustainability.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:47 am

I understand the difference between default and delinquency. Kiva considers something delinquent for a really long time before they consider it defaulted. That number I gave is the default rate. Believe me, I wish it wasn't.

The dollar amounts are not huge and I can afford it. My point is that somebody might read the glowing reports on here and toss in $10,000 trying to meet some card bonuses (remember, this is FT) and lose a lot of money that they cannot afford.

Originally Posted by HansGolden
Is that default or delinquency rate? Big diff.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I would hope that everyone knows there is a chance you can lose the money, but that a bit of risk doesn't stop them.
I understand the difference between default and delinquency. Kiva considers something delinquent for a really long time before they consider it defaulted. That number I gave is the default rate. Believe me, I wish it wasn't.

The dollar amounts are not huge and I can afford it. My point is that somebody might read the glowing reports on here and toss in $10,000 trying to meet some card bonuses (remember, this is FT) and lose a lot of money that they cannot afford.
I would hope that people wouldn't loan money they can't afford to lose, and think that the idea that you can lend a small amount like $25 encourages more people who can't afford a lot to give a bit.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter

Sorry that you have had such a problem with defaults. I had a $25.00 loan default with nothing paid back within my first few dozen loans. So, my default rate was similar to yours. That was in 2010. Since then I have made more than 600 loans and lost only $4.49 more. So, now my default rate is 0.26%.
hopefully you will be like me - unlucky at first and then do very well later on.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold

Is there a trend (country or MFI that is resulting in the high rate of defaults?) I have been fortunate to have zero defaults, though I can see one heading in that direction.

As kipper and others have noted, there is an inherent risk in microloans and people should lend what they can as YMMV re: risks.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:17 pm

My loans are almost all in Nicaragua and the problems were all with a partner called ADEPHCA. That partner has now been cut off, but when the loans were made they had typical ratings. As with anything, past performance . . .

Originally Posted by neuron
Is there a trend (country or MFI that is resulting in the high rate of defaults?) I have been fortunate to have zero defaults, though I can see one heading in that direction.

As kipper and others have noted, there is an inherent risk in microloans and people should lend what they can as YMMV re: risks.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 4:11 pm

My loans are almost all in Nicaragua and the problems were all with a partner called ADEPHCA. That partner has now been cut off, but when the loans were made they had typical ratings. As with anything, past performance . . .
If you want to lower risk, it's best, I believe, to diversify your portfolio. I've made 645 loans to every Kiva country but Zambia and to over 100 field partners and my default rate is 0.26%.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by onthego15
If you want to lower risk, it's best, I believe, to diversify your portfolio. I've made 645 loans to every Kiva country but Zambia and to over 100 field partners and my default rate is 0.26%.
Yup, like any investment... diversify! I actively try and vary every new loan - different country, sector, etc. - so my 15 loans (and counting!) are all pretty widespread. I haven't lost a cent so far but know it's always a possibility.

Just re-loaned my latest $25 credit out a couple days ago...
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:06 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As with anything - work, sports, hobbies, investments, complicated travel itineraries (), etc. - always good to know the risks. ^

As of today, 291 of us have joined the FT Kiva team. Perhaps we can get a few more folks to join us by next month and hit 300! (And collectively, we have made 6,323 loans...making a difference, one loan at a time. )

If you haven't already checked your Kiva accounts, the next batch of repayments started coming in, so if you happen to be able to spare some funds to re-loan, that would awesome! :-:
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
As with anything - work, sports, hobbies, investments, complicated travel itineraries (), etc. - always good to know the risks. ^

As of today, 291 of us have joined the FT Kiva team. Perhaps we can get a few more folks to join us by next month and hit 300! (And collectively, we have made 6,323 loans...making a difference, one loan at a time. )

If you haven't already checked your Kiva accounts, the next batch of repayments started coming in, so if you happen to be able to spare some funds to re-loan, that would awesome! :-:
Just logged in and saw that I had $12.49 in credit waiting for me, which is far more than I thought I'd have (only had 4 $25 loans, one of them being a free trial). So, I topped it off to an even $25, and now have 5 $25 loans. Not much at all compared to most here, but it's something.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by kipper
Just logged in and saw that I had $12.49 in credit waiting for me, which is far more than I thought I'd have (only had 4 $25 loans, one of them being a free trial). So, I topped it off to an even $25, and now have 5 $25 loans. Not much at all compared to most here, but it's something.
Every single loan is important.
One loan is infinitely times greater than zero loans.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:36 am

Every single loan is important.
One loan is infinitely times greater than zero loans.
This is true.

http://www.kiva.org/lend/410893

Igor only needs $325 until his loan is fully funded. Anyone up for helping him hit that mark?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
ROFL! "Let's lend one for the kipper".

Over the 465 loans I have made, my loss rate is closer to ~0.8%, but I have purposely made a very few loans I felt were riskier. And a couple of them certainly were. My reaction: just relent $250 paid back with another 10% to support Kiva.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 20, 2012 at 12:06 pm
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
ROFL! "Let's lend one for the kipper".
ROFL cute...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.