Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I just purchased cards, and can confirm they are $10/card. The numbers don't seem to be working quite yet, although I'd guess that they'll need a day or two to pass along the numbers purchased to Kiva.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by kipper
I just purchased cards, and can confirm they are $10/card. The numbers don't seem to be working quite yet, although I'd guess that they'll need a day or two to pass along the numbers purchased to Kiva.
Yeah, looks like a scam to me. I was all ready to scale this up with family and friends because it's $45 profit per person, but the codes they send don't work. One says already used, two others say invalid. A buddy had one work, one say invalid, and the third say already used.

Tons of complaints around the internet, just Google their name: nomorerack

Thanks for the heads-up, it would have been a tremendous deal, but I'm afraid I'll have to be doing some CC chargebacks on this one.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by HansGolden
Yeah, looks like a scam to me. I was all ready to scale this up with family and friends because it's $45 profit per person, but the codes they send don't work. One says already used, two others say invalid. A buddy had one work, one say invalid, and the third say already used.

Tons of complaints around the internet, just Google their name: nomorerack

Thanks for the heads-up, it would have been a tremendous deal, but I'm afraid I'll have to be doing some CC chargebacks on this one.
I've not had a problem with them until this Kiva card. I'm guessing it'll take a day or two, but they'll figure out how to make it work.

I've ordered a few things from them and have always received the items.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
all three codes worked for me just now.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by sunk818
all three codes worked for me just now.
Still not working for me yet.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:28 am

If you've had problems, check your email as they may have just sent a new code to you.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:09 am

New code worked for me. Add another $25 to the FT team.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:08 am

The team is doing well.

Among the Common Interest Groups, Flyertalk team ranked #10 Amount Loaned This Month and #10 Amount Loaned Last Month.

Our number of Loans per Member is 20.6 vs 7.9 average for Kiva members. our total amount loaned is $202,700.

Of our 5,951 loans, 3953 have been paid back. That is part of the fun of Kiva, the ability to re-lend as paybacks are received.

We are just $47,300 short of $250,000. Let's make a difference and each add at least one loan this month to the Flyertalk total. I will, will you?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by kipper
If you've had problems, check your email as they may have just sent a new code to you.
Yup, worked! Wish now I'd have gone all in with family accounts, etc...
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by KyRoamer
The team is doing well.

Among the Common Interest Groups, Flyertalk team ranked #10 Amount Loaned This Month and #10 Amount Loaned Last Month.

Our number of Loans per Member is 20.6 vs 7.9 average for Kiva members. our total amount loaned is $202,700.

Of our 5,951 loans, 3953 have been paid back. That is part of the fun of Kiva, the ability to re-lend as paybacks are received.

We are just $47,300 short of $250,000. Let's make a difference and each add at least one loan this month to the Flyertalk total. I will, will you?
I did already.
Originally Posted by HansGolden
Yup, worked! Wish now I'd have gone all in with family accounts, etc...
Same here. I didn't, with the problem with the first card, but now... Especially as I'm guessing we'll see the full $25 once it is paid back.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:16 am

Just made a loan to Elias (http://www.kiva.org/lend/403233) credited here. This is a 5 month loan and will fund fast.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:41 am

Just made my 4th loan, to Oksana Chaus.

We're now $46,600 short of a goal of $250,000.

Last edited by kipper; Mar 22, 2012 at 10:51 am
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KyRoamer
The team is doing well.

Absolutely! I think I've already turned $150 into $350.

Small potatoes compared to some of you but it really is a great way to help people around the world - one little bit at a time.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by stdatwmu

Small potatoes compared to some of you but it really is a great way to help people around the world - one little bit at a time.
Not at all small potatoes. I've only loaned $100, with the last 2 just in the past 2 days. One was from a nomorerack.com kiva card ($10 to purchase), the other was from a combination of repayments and a PayPal payment I'd received for a mystery shop.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by stdatwmu

No small potatoes with Kiva. Every loan counts.

I recommend setting comfortable goals like one new money loan a week, a month, a quarter or even one a year and then beating it.

I planned to reinvest repayments and add at least $50 per month in new money. That totals $600 in new money. I went to the recent MilePoint Kiva Do in San Francisco and when my wife wasn't looking I pre-funded my goal for the year.

Hopefully, you will be able to add a few new loans this year or at least roll over your repayments. Enjoy.

Keep Kiva fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.