Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:11 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Well, finished out the month with 99.4% of the estimated repayments in! Unfortunately, just got notice that two more loans have been declared as defaulted. But looking forward to tomorrow (1st of the month), when we should see another surge in new loans posted!

And to help inspire everybody, here are our stats as of now:

Number of Team Members: 311
Number of Loans: 7,359
Number of Loans per Member: 23.7
:-:Total Amount Loaned: $259,050 :-:

Great job everyone!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
The Las Merceditas Group could use some help in funding their loan, as per the message we received on the FT Lending Team page on Kiva.

With team support, Mumbi and Jerito were funded. Now lets try to hep a more difficult one. The Las Merceditas Group (www.kiva.org/lend/453761) needs an additional $4,250. The loan is scheduled to be paid in full by next February 15 so please jump on it.
One moving story is that of Luisa. Luisa sells sheets, food, and fish. She is a very dynamic woman, as you can see. Thanks to her hard work she is supporting her family and providing them with what they need day to day.

She is seeking a loan so that she can buy sheets and fish so that she can continue working and providing her family with what they need every day.
I made a small loan, will you, please?

http://www.kiva.org/lend/453761
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:56 am

Great reason to invite friends to Kiva!!!

From an email I received...

Now it really pays to share Kiva!

Invite a friend and get a $25 bonus.

What's the catch? There isn't one. All you have to do is invite your friends to try out Kiva, and for every one who joins, we'll add a $25 bonus to your account to make a loan for free.

Now you can double, triple, quadruple your impact while sharing the joy of Kiva with new people. Repayments on loans made with a bonus won't go back to you, but there's no limit on the number of bonuses you can earn.

When one of your friends joins Kiva, we'll send you an email letting you know you have 7 days to lend your $25 bonus before it expires. Use it or lose it, but you can always earn more.

Want to learn more about bonuses? Click here for frequently asked questions. Or get started by inviting friends now!
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
From an email I received...
I saw that and thought about putting something in the CONGA section here - would that help?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
I saw that and thought about putting something in the CONGA section here - would that help?
You mean posting something in S.P.A.M.? Go for it, or if you don't want to, I happily will, since it simply means being able to lend another $25 to someone. I'm assuming that when that loan is repaid, Kiva gets the $25, which I'd figure.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:58 am

NEWB to Kiva

I would like to join and make loans. What does it mean to be on the FT KIVA team vs making loans as individual? Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by GoGreen
I would like to join and make loans. What does it mean to be on the FT KIVA team vs making loans as individual? Thanks!
A team is basically a group of people with a common interest working together to help fund loans. Whether an individual or on a team, your loans go to help others. The biggest difference is that when you join a team, your loans get "credited" to that team, unless you select not to have them credited. It affects nothing as far as how you are repaid, but basically means that as a FT community, we've made X amount in loans.

Teams are a good way to feel like a community. Likewise, one of the benefits I've found is that if one finds a loan that's almost fully-funded, or expires in a short amount of time, often, if they post it here or send a message on Kiva, other FT'ers will chip in $25 each to help to fully-fund it.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:33 am

A team is basically a group of people with a common interest working together to help fund loans. Whether an individual or on a team, your loans go to help others. The biggest difference is that when you join a team, your loans get "credited" to that team, unless you select not to have them credited. It affects nothing as far as how you are repaid, but basically means that as a FT community, we've made X amount in loans.

Teams are a good way to feel like a community. Likewise, one of the benefits I've found is that if one finds a loan that's almost fully-funded, or expires in a short amount of time, often, if they post it here or send a message on Kiva, other FT'ers will chip in $25 each to help to fully-fund it.
OK, sounds good. So after I sign up with my basic info will something pop up asking me if I want to be part of a group, or how does that work? (BTW I am not signing up at this moment because I'm waiting for someone I know who's heavily involved to send his referral link). Also will I know which loans the FT'ers have selected or am I generally on my own to select, except as you have noted above?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by GoGreen
OK, sounds good. So after I sign up with my basic info will something pop up asking me if I want to be part of a group, or how does that work? (BTW I am not signing up at this moment because I'm waiting for someone I know who's heavily involved to send his referral link). Also will I know which loans the FT'ers have selected or am I generally on my own to select, except as you have noted above?
If you click on "Community" you can then search for "Flyertalkers." There will be a small "join now" button on the left, under the image.

You'll be able to see loans that FT'ers have selected by posts here or messages to the team, and also by clicking on the FT team, and then clicking on "loans," and also by viewing the latest activity on the team page.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
You mean posting something in S.P.A.M.? Go for it, or if you don't want to, I happily will, since it simply means being able to lend another $25 to someone. I'm assuming that when that loan is repaid, Kiva gets the $25, which I'd figure.
Yep - please go for it. I think it might increase exposure for the group and take advantage of the extra bodies in that subforum. Not so much for the extra $25 (which is nice) but more for getting more hands on deck.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Yep - please go for it. I think it might increase exposure for the group and take advantage of the extra bodies in that subforum. Not so much for the extra $25 (which is nice) but more for getting more hands on deck.
Post is here.

On a different topic, I've now had my second loan repaid completely!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:46 pm

loan expires in 6 hours... Anyone???

This loan to Nino expires in 6 hours, and only needs another $875 to be fully funded. Can anyone help? I've never had a loan that failed to be fully funded, and I don't want to start now!

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:25 am

This loan to Nino expires in 6 hours, and only needs another $875 to be fully funded. Can anyone help? I've never had a loan that failed to be fully funded, and I don't want to start now!

Thanks!
I've now had my first refunded loan.

As such, I've now made a loan to Azniv from Armenia. Her loan expires in a day.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA *Gold, Marriott PLT, Hyatt mid-tier whose stupid name I cannot ever recall
I also have had my first refunded loan (Greta from Armenia) , and have rolled the refunded amt back to Azniv.
Let's see if we can get this done. ^
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:22 pm

As such, I've now made a loan to Azniv from Armenia. Her loan expires in a day.
$50 to Azniv.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.