Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ah, some of mine have paid - so more relending!

The team efforts are, to date:

293 members
6,964 loans
23.4 loans average per member (much higher than the average!)
$241,500 to date
One of my most recent is Wilbert, a computer tech the last six years, in Perú, with his partner Ruth and two children. His goal is to educate his children, not easy in that country, and his loan is to purchase technical supplies Power stabilizers, vital in Perú with its dicey power, and network cables).

Don't forget - you can invite others to lend at no investment cost so they can try Kiva, as an anonymous person / group is sponsoring initial $25 loans!

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 23, 2012 at 8:53 am Reason: add Wilbert
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:04 pm

I've added a few more loans to the FT team with this month's repayments and also added new countries to my portfolio - Albania, Kosovo and East Timor (Timor L'este).
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by wildblue
I've added a few more loans to the FT team with this month's repayments and also added new countries to my portfolio - Albania, Kosovo and East Timor (Timor L'este).
For other folks here who are interested in making a loan to every country that Kiva has a field partner in, I am posting a current list.

59 countries have active lending partners as of June 2012:
Code:
Albania
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Benin
Bolivia
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cambodia
Cameroon
Chile
Colombia
Congo
Costa Rica
Democratic Republic of Congo
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
East Timor (Timor-Leste)
El Salvador
Georgia
Ghana
Guatemala
Haiti
Honduras
Indonesia
Iraq
Israel
Jordan
Kenya
Kosovo
Kyrgystan
Lebanon
Liberia
Mali
Mexico
Mongolia
Mozambique
Nepal
Nicaragua
Pakistan
Palestine
Paraguay
Peru
Phillipines
Rwanda
Samoa
Senegal
Sierra Leone
South Sudan
Tajikistan
Tanzania
Togo
Turkey
Uganda
Ukraine
United States
Viet Nam
Yemen
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Countries in which loans have been available in the past:
Afghanistan (field partner recently paused on Kiva)
Bosnia and Herzegovina (paused since Sept. 2009)
Bulgaria (field partner closed on Kiva)
Chad (field partner closed on Kiva)
Gaza (field partner closed on Kiva)
Ivory Coast (field partner closed on Kiva)
Moldova (paused since July 2009)
Nigeria (field partner closed on Kiva)
South Africa (field partner closed on Kiva in May 2012)
Sri Lanka (field partner closed on Kiva)
The complete list of all Kiva field partners, current and past, is here:
http://www.kiva.org/partners

To receive notifications of loans from countries you are interested in, you may receive tweets from
@kivanotify
Info on this service and how to use it can be found here:
http://kivanotify.com/index.html

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 23, 2012 at 8:29 am Reason: add coding
Old Jun 23, 2012, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Cool, you guys! Thanks for the list as well!

Just made another loan:

Flora , age 52, is a small business cheesemaker and seller in Tarma, Perú, who lives with her husband Apolinario and one of their five children. This will be her fourth loan, and she uses the money to purchase cheeses so she can sell them in other, sometimes distant, towns and cities. She has about half of her loan secured already.

I've spent pleasant times in Perú from the capital to the coastal areas, and in the Andes from Cusco and the Sacred Valley to Lake Titicaca. Peruvian people have invariably been courteous and hospitable, and it feels good to be able to help foment entrepreneurial activity that will help elevate the standard of life for needy, hard-working people.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 23, 2012 at 9:00 am Reason: add Flora
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:02 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Looks like Flora is fully funded!

Would any care to join me on this loan to Paraguay?
http://www.kiva.org/lend/442309

This is also a shorter-term loan, so if you make a loan, all your money should come back to you by mid-late October. :-:

Mujeres Luchadores is made up of 15 women from the city of Luque. They got their name because the women are fighters [luchadores] who work hard to get ahead and make progress. The group is in its 15th lending cycle with the program and it's thanks to their work that they move forward.

One group member, Myrian, is a food seller. She is 46 years old, separated, and has 6 children. She says that thanks to her work she has helped her kids and is educating them. She is an example of struggle and sacrifice.

She asks for a loan to buy meats, condiments, vegetables and other ingredients to keep selling her food, because it's the only way she has to help her children.
Fundación Paraguaya has been working with Kiva for over 5 years and is one of the highest-rated microfinancing institutions on the site. They have very low credit risk and have been recognised for all of the work they do in the communities they serve. ^
Old Jun 26, 2012, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
Looks like Flora is fully funded!

Would any care to join me on this loan to Paraguay?
http://www.kiva.org/lend/442309

This is also a shorter-term loan, so if you make a loan, all your money should come back to you by mid-late October. :-:

Fundación Paraguaya has been working with Kiva for over 5 years and is one of the highest-rated microfinancing institutions on the site. They have very low credit risk and have been recognised for all of the work they do in the communities they serve. ^
I just loaned $25!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
I just loaned $25!
So did I, so they're now up to 4%.

As a team, we're up to 299 members (welcome to the new members!), 6,992 loans, for a total of $243,275.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, JY1024; I just lent to Mujeres Luchadores (Fighting Women) and they are up to 70% now!

Mujeres Luchadoras, Luque, Paraguay

On a side note: We can lend and help get Kiva and additional $100,000 to extend their goals; let's crank this up!

Dear JDiver and Lady JDiver,

Kiva needs your help. Our longtime partner, the Omidyar Network, has challenged the Kiva community to loan $1.5 million between now and midnight on June 30th.

If we pull it off, the Omidyar Network will donate an additional $100,000 to help Kiva continue to meet our goals for the year.

For an organization like Kiva, that kind of money goes a long way. A cool hundred grand will enable us to bring 15 new partners online or recruit 25,000 new lenders, enabling the Kiva community to help even more borrowers worldwide.

So please take a moment to make a loan today, and thank you for helping to reach this ambitious goal!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by JDiver
On a side note: We can lend and help get Kiva and additional $100,000 to extend their goals; let's crank this up!
I received that email about half an hour after making my latest loan.

The loan for Mujeres Luchadoras is fully funded, with 4 FT'ers listed as contributing.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Wilbert is 33% funded - a Peruvian computer geek with a name like Wilbert? How can you not fund him - resistance is futile! Link to Wilbert's lending page. Shoot, I'll add some too! In for a penny, in for a pound, and I have added some to his loan. I know I am a piker compared to some, but I have now made my 500th loan through Kiva!

Our meter is running - 300 members have lent $246,350 in 7,060 loans. Let's see $250,000.

I challenge you - next five loans made, I will match.

One of my most recent is Wilbert, a computer tech the last six years, in Perú, with his partner Ruth and two children. His goal is to educate his children, not easy in that country, and his loan is to purchase technical supplies Power stabilizers, vital in Perú with its dicey power, and network cables).

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 2, 2012 at 1:10 pm Reason: add
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:42 pm

Wilbert is 33% funded - a Peruvian computer geek with a name like Wilbert? How can you not fund him - resistance is futile! Link to Wilbert's lending page. Shoot, I'll add some too! In for a penny, in for a pound, and I have added some to his loan. I know I am a piker compared to some, but I have now made my 500th loan through Kiva!

Our meter is running - 300 members have lent $246,350 in 7,060 loans. Let's see $250,000.

Just loaned $25.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Others have made loans after your generous match offer.
Just loaned 2 x $25 including Wilbur (that makes 3 FT'ers)

Only 3hrs left on this loan for Randy from the Philippines (2 FT'ers in this)
More funds needed in this loan for Pedro from Paraguay (3 FT'ers in this)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 4, 2012 at 5:22 am
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Loans above matched, with new money I added to my lending account, including Pedro el Paraguayo. (Unfortunately, Randy's loan expired - but that means his lenders will have their money back to re-lend.)
Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now I always only add to loans that other FT'ers have also funded.
More loans here from FT Team http://www.kiva.org/team/flyertalkers/loans
Some are not fully funded

Number of Team Members 300
Number of Loans 7,083
Number of Loans per Member 23.6
Total Amount Loaned $246,975

Subscribe to this thread using thread tools (top of the page). Or just click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 4, 2012 at 6:45 pm
Old Jul 4, 2012, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Good idea, Mwenenzi! Asante sana, bwana... and I have added five more in addition to the matches. (I also added your helpful links to the OP; this old mzee can learn new tricks.)

And yes, Randy in the Philippines may apply again, but in the meantime, those who lent will get their money back and can lend it again; leveraging lenders who have already received FT loans makes it more likely they will be fully funded.

Just added my loan to Tanzania's Momela Group.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 5, 2012 at 11:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.