Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Just re-loaned some money... up to 11 loans credited to the FT team now!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 7:42 pm

Ok, I'm in.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 5:47 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stdatwmu
Just re-loaned some money... up to 11 loans credited to the FT team now!
Woohoo - that's awesome! ^:-:

Originally Posted by thelark
Ok, I'm in.
Welcome aboard! Glad to have you as part of the team!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:29 pm
Community Director Emerita

Did anyone else get a private message on Kiva? Mine was in German. I ran it thru Google translate, but it's still unclear to me. I was asked to go to a different site to add an add on to my browser that would show me total donations for a particular fund. Spam or legit?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I didn't. It sounds like a scam to me.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Did anyone else get a private message on Kiva? Mine was in German. I ran it thru Google translate, but it's still unclear to me. I was asked to go to a different site to add an add on to my browser that would show me total donations for a particular fund. Spam or legit?
I'd think that's spam. That said, what about the message on the boards that reads, "Greetings! My name is Andrew Liss and I am a 7th grade history teacher who is trying to win a grant for a Kiva-centered program that I have implemented for past 5 years. Please click this link, read about my project, and vote for my classes. If you are super-motivated share the link with others. Thanks!"
Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Scam.

I wouldn't install any add-on based on an unsolicited private message.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

Kiwi, it's nice to see you online. I'm sorry to hear of yet another earthquake in Christchurch today.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 6:24 am

Frequent Flyers rock when it comes to Kiva. The MilePoint team is now 10th overall and its 532 members have invested over $301,000 in December alone. As their Flyertalk experience was the inspiration for that team, we should take pride in its accomplishments.

As others have pointed out Kiva is not about competition, it is about helping. I hope the Flyertalk team will now take some inspiration from MilePoint and and that each member will make this Christmas season a little more special by making a Kiva loan.

I saw a loan request by a woman who made chicken stew. She sold out most every day and wanted a loan to by more chicken from a local chicken farm. So every penny she spent on chickens to stew and increase her income benefited the local chicken farmer. The chicken farmer bought feed and his necessities locally and so that $25 loan was worth hundreds to the local economy. You just cannot imagine the power of a $25 loan.

Keep on lending. Every loan counts, every loan helps, every loan benefits – not just the borrower, but it makes our world a little bit better too.

I joined the Flyertalk team in 2011 and made my first team loan. I'll make at least one more Flyertalk team loan in 2012. Hope you will too.

Merry Christmas and have a happy new year. May all your flights be upgraded and your hotel stays as well.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
FREE TRIAL OFFER! Lend $25 OP money...

If you know anyone who may be contemplating a loan but is hesitant, Kiva has had a valuable contribution from Ladies' Home Journal that allows a limited number of "OP" loans. In other words, your contemplating friend or relative can lend OTHER PEOPLE'S money to a woman microentrepreneur- they can go to this page - http://kiva.org/ladieshomejournal (and you can send this link on to others, post on your FaceBook page as I have, etc.)

Terms and Conditions - more or less: Limited offer - LHJ will run out of money they are using to fund this offer, so when it's over, it's over (I do not think we should allow them to take too much time to hit that point, and certainly not to have any money left over). This offer is limited to a $25 loan for those who have not lent through / been members of Kiva previously. It's essentially a free trial offer.

And now, all the loans have been made! ^

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 6, 2012 at 8:06 pm Reason: update
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Reloaned $75

Happy New Year! I just reloaned $75.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by poptarts
Happy New Year! I just reloaned $75.
Did you reloan using a new fund, or did you fund from the existing Kiva funds? New fund may help you earn more points. The later would not.

I also see that MicroPlace also allows you to fund via PayPal, you can choose credit card as your funding source (assuming your PayPal balance is 0.00) and you will not be charged a fee. If you want to get your money out, choose loans that are 1 year.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Updated figures for the new year - as of Jan 14, 2012:

Number of Team Members 274
Number of Loans 5,208
Number of Loans per Member 19.0
Total Amount Loaned $165,950

(My part: 319 loans counted for FT - though I will admit I am a miserable piker compared to FT member "Johnny" (on Kiva), with 506 loans! And, bwahaha, I know who that is...)

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 21, 2012 at 9:29 pm Reason: update
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:01 pm

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat
Joined the team! Love the community idea!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by sunk818
Did you reloan using a new fund, or did you fund from the existing Kiva funds? New fund may help you earn more points. The later would not.

I also see that MicroPlace also allows you to fund via PayPal, you can choose credit card as your funding source (assuming your PayPal balance is 0.00) and you will not be charged a fee. If you want to get your money out, choose loans that are 1 year.
Can anyone explain the significance of the last sentence (bolded by me)?

I'm new to this - a little cautious - and worried now that I won't be able to get my money back easily...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.