Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by kjnc
After lurking for a while, I jumped in with both feet today with 4 loans. (maybe it should be four feet then?)
Good to have you on the team. Kiva presents a great opportunity to do good at little cost or risk. Invest a $1,000 in loans averaging 9 months and you have repayments allowing you to make at least four loans each month without adding new money. And tying up the $1,000 costs next to nothing. My best money fund pays 0.85% or $8.50 per year on $1,000 and that is taxable.

So for $7 after tax you can help over 40 individuals improve their lives and the lives of their families and all with whom they do business. Not bad for $7!!!

Now with $1,000 invested you can expect about $12 in bad debt losses each year. So far I have had no loans default even though several show as delinquent from time to time.

Now Kiva's sole (or at least primary) source of support is donations from people like us. It gets nothing from the borrowers or Field Partners. So to allow it to continue to make opportunities available to you, it needs your support. be generous.

BTW, Kiva is addictive. Do all that you can do. Most importantly, have fun doing it.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:28 pm
LHG

Programs: AS MVP Gold and hotel status through their credit cards as needed :)
Hopped on board. Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by LHG
Hopped on board. Thanks.
Welcome to the team!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by LHG
Hopped on board. Thanks.
Wonderful. Glad to have you on our team.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I'm in.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sprezzatura
I'm in.
Good to see the team active and growing. Welcome.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:22 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LHG
Hopped on board. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura
I'm in.
Woohoo - that's awesome! ^ Welcome to the team, LHG and Sprezzatura!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:30 pm

Just received notice that this month's Kiva credit is now available!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Yes, it is, but no I don't. Next month!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:43 am

Very nice. This is a long thread, and want to read it over, but am definitely interested.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We've got some loans to aspiring entrepreneurs in the USA here, a couple of them with only 3 - 4 days to finalize funds raising.

We are up to $191,400, and will soon be up to $200,000! A quarter of a million would be a great goal to carry out this year. ^
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:34 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
free trial!

Just wanted to give the heads up:
if anyone is interested in signing up today, there's a Free trial ($25) going on!
So even if you are already a member, it's a good time to spread the word and get friends to sign up.

the link is: http://www.kiva.org/women

Here they mention 4,000 free trials but elsewhere I've seen that there are 38,000 free trials in total (and 30,854 remaining).

Last edited by andreadbc; Mar 9, 2012 at 12:29 am
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
¡Muchísimas gracias! andreadbc. Posted the information and link on my FB page. And found I'd had some money paid back to re-lend.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:43 am

more free offers

Originally Posted by andreadbc
Just wanted to give the heads up:
if anyone is interested in signing up today, there's a Free trial ($25) going on!
So even if you are already a member, it's a good time to spread the word and get friends to sign up.

the link is: http://www.kiva.org/women

Here they mention 4,000 free trials but elsewhere I've seen that there are 38,000 free trials in total (and 30,854 remaining).
Just got an email from Kiva asking me to forward the email to my friends for a free $25 loan. These free loans have a different sponsor than link above. I assume all or most Kiva members will get this invitation to extend a personalized invitation to their friends.

While checking it out, I was inspired to make a couple of additional small loans myself, completing funding for both. :-) It feels good.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:06 am

Just received an email from nomorerack.com, advertising $25 Kiva cards at a 60% discount.

$25 Kiva Card

Support and share

Change lives and build communities by connecting with Kiva through this inspiring deal.
Sale starts at 12 PM Eastern, so it might be a way to snag a few cards to donate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.