Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2011, 3:25 am

As JDiver mentioned, I was a Kiva Fellow at a one of their partners here in Phnom Penh for 3.5 months (and I still haven't been able to tear myself away from Cambodia yet!). Kiva staff does regular audits and visits of their partners to make sure that everything is on the up and up. They also send Kiva Fellows to work at the partners for extended periods of time, usually three months, to do more intensive audits and to make sure that everything is kosher. One of the things fellows do is called borrower verification where we are given a list of ten random borrowers and have to verify everything about them and their loan -- are they who the loan says they are, is the picture of the correct person, was the loan given in the right amount, what was the loan used for, has every payment been recorded accurately, etc. We check the receipts of the customer in the field against what the partner has recorded in their system against what is reported on Kiva. Overall, I feel Kiva does a fair amount of monitoring and I trust that my loans are going to the places they say they are.

Another issue that has been brought up is overindebtedness. This is something that I am very interested in as well. In Cambodia there are more than twenty microfinance institutions (MFIs) -- 4 of which are on Kiva -- and many borrowers take out loans from multiple MFIs. Because there is no credit bureau here, it's very difficult for an MFI to determine whether a borrower already has other loans out when they are making their loan decision. If the borrower and their village chief are willing to lie, there's not a lot the MFI can do about it right now. So that's a problem and it's a problem that Kiva is aware of. In my personal opinion I think Kiva should not bother with partners in places with a large number of MFIs. Not to say that those MFIs aren't doing good work -- the one I worked at here, Maxima, is a group of caring honest people that I really like -- but the interest-free Kiva money could be better directed to provide loans for people that wouldn't otherwise get it. When there are 20 MFIs in a place, most people will be able to get a loan one way or another if they have some sort of collateral.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I monitor every field partner and only make loans through ones whose records meet what i think to be acceptable practices. I also check all available data about the borrower and I am picky about purpose and tenor as well. I have a bit over 150 loans outstanding new. I have never had a loss and only one delinquency, since cured.

In my view, part of the success of this program is lending to people who will be able to repay and build their own professionalism. I depends on professionalism form Kiva, to be sure, but I still check out each filed partner independently. In the end I am unwilling to outsource my own credit investigations. I am too anxious that the borrowers do not end out overextended.

So, there are places I rarely lend because of unreliable partners, Cambodia is one. The US and Kenya are others.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
So, there are places I rarely lend because of unreliable partners, Cambodia is one. The US and Kenya are others.
I'm interested to know which partners in Cambodia you think are unreliable and why?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Thanks everyone for sharing your views.

You have all addressed my concerns in an informative way.

Now I feel even better about participating in Kiva
Old Apr 29, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by giblet
I'm interested to know which partners in Cambodia you think are unreliable and why?
In retrospect I should not have said anything about those issues because my answers are long and boring, for most people anyway.

In fact, you know much more than do I about the situation in Cambodia. You have influenced my opinions there also. I went to Cambodia to see some of the institutions for myself. The ones I saw were not Kiva partners, BTW. As you comment in a previous post here there is active competition between microlenders, and plentiful availability of loans, but no functioning credit bureau or any other systematic method of information exchange. Those factors make any microlending operation, no matter how good, subject to uncontrollable risks. because I want my money to go to the greatest need with as few exogenous risks as possible. Because of that supply in Cambodia I don't think anybodt needs my money too.

Kenya mirrors the Cambodia situation, but with some crucial differences, primarily driven by domestic 'political' issues IMO. There are some excellent lenders there too, but the competition and 'political' issues interfere. I have been there several times, but prefer to lend where the benefits are less questionable.

Microlending is difficult in any circumstances. IMO Kiva is doing a stellar job of managing the risks and meeting the needs. The Kiva partner information and updates is superb. Thus far, by careful looking at the partner, the borrower and the country conditions I have been very, very lucky. Of the 158 loans I have outstanding now not one is delinquent and only one has ever been delinquent. I do not expect to be so fortunate always, but I greatly respect the quality of information provided by Kiva. Some people do not care about that. I do. I think that microlending only works when the borrower and partner develop the administrative and financial discipline to assume and service their debt prudently. It is for that reason that I never lend money for personal consumption, rarely for house furnishing and seldom for other personal purposes. If the loan is not intended to generate income it will be a burden, not a help IMO.

For both Cambodia and Kenya there are other forms of charity which are preferable from my point of view. Both countries need serious help, and both have wounds that are mostly self-inflicted. That is true of much of the world, but in many places it is less full of people trying to help.

Finally, I am not a fan, philosophically, of microlending as a system in highly developed credit markets. It would take pages to explain why, but that is why the US is not on my lending list.

I hope that helps explain. I know it does not do a complete job of explaining. Other people will have different priorities than do I, and that is as it should be.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
As always the debate on FT is thought-provoking. I'll have to mull a few things over.

But, back to the main topic of this thread - I've just added another 7 loans which takes us to $112,525 in 3,619 loans. ^
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
In retrospect I should not have said anything about those issues because my answers are long and boring, for most people anyway.

In fact, you know much more than do I about the situation in Cambodia. You have influenced my opinions there also. I went to Cambodia to see some of the institutions for myself. The ones I saw were not Kiva partners, BTW. As you comment in a previous post here there is active competition between microlenders, and plentiful availability of loans, but no functioning credit bureau or any other systematic method of information exchange. Those factors make any microlending operation, no matter how good, subject to uncontrollable risks. because I want my money to go to the greatest need with as few exogenous risks as possible. Because of that supply in Cambodia I don't think anybodt needs my money too.

Kenya mirrors the Cambodia situation, but with some crucial differences, primarily driven by domestic 'political' issues IMO. There are some excellent lenders there too, but the competition and 'political' issues interfere. I have been there several times, but prefer to lend where the benefits are less questionable.

Microlending is difficult in any circumstances. IMO Kiva is doing a stellar job of managing the risks and meeting the needs. The Kiva partner information and updates is superb. Thus far, by careful looking at the partner, the borrower and the country conditions I have been very, very lucky. Of the 158 loans I have outstanding now not one is delinquent and only one has ever been delinquent. I do not expect to be so fortunate always, but I greatly respect the quality of information provided by Kiva. Some people do not care about that. I do. I think that microlending only works when the borrower and partner develop the administrative and financial discipline to assume and service their debt prudently. It is for that reason that I never lend money for personal consumption, rarely for house furnishing and seldom for other personal purposes. If the loan is not intended to generate income it will be a burden, not a help IMO.

For both Cambodia and Kenya there are other forms of charity which are preferable from my point of view. Both countries need serious help, and both have wounds that are mostly self-inflicted. That is true of much of the world, but in many places it is less full of people trying to help.

Finally, I am not a fan, philosophically, of microlending as a system in highly developed credit markets. It would take pages to explain why, but that is why the US is not on my lending list.

I hope that helps explain. I know it does not do a complete job of explaining. Other people will have different priorities than do I, and that is as it should be.
Thanks for the explanation. I would like to say that from my point of view, having worked with some of these organizations, I do not think any of Kiva's partners in Cambodia are unreliable. In fact, Cambodia has one of the highest country repayment rates on Kiva. It's fair enough if you don't want to lend to Cambodian borrowers for other reasons, but reliability and repayments are not an issue here the way they are in other places. I'd also add that having a country-wide credit bureau isn't a common thing in many developing countries, and that to not make loans to places that don't have one would be leaving out many of the borrowers that need the loans the most.

I understand that especially for those people who are putting large amounts of money into Kiva, it makes sense to pay attention to where you are putting it. That said, even if you just randomly make loans on Kiva without doing any research, you're likely to get a repayment rate of over 98% as long as you spread your loans out to different geographic areas. I think worrying about this, particularly for people that are new to Kiva or who aren't investing thousands of dollars, doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 5:54 am

Thanks giblet for a view into the other side of Kiva; it is reassuring to see Kiva put some much effort into ensure everything is on the up-and-up.

Seeing the thread reminded me to go check my account, so 1 more re-loan and 1 more new loan are done.
Old May 6, 2011, 2:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Did a 25$ today and now everything but 35 cents of the 1000$ are out on loans http://www.kiva.org/lender/starmegado2009
Old May 20, 2011, 4:13 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Just a quick reminder to everyone that repayments should have been coming into your Kiva account over the last few days (in case you're able to re-loan or add new loans)!

Our loaning rate has dropped a bit over the last month or two, but we're still making a difference, one loan at a time. ^

Number of Team Members: 228
Number of Loans: 3,706
Total Amount Loaned: $114,875
Old May 20, 2011, 6:35 pm
Community Director Emerita

That was a good reminder. I just reloaned 2 loans.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Just re-loaned the first $25 that's popped back into my account since I joined the FT team.

Thanks for the reminder!
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA,UA,HH,Marriott
I just made 2 more loans. Love being a member of this group. Jean
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
I'm adding some credit for another new loan, with some birthday money I received recently. Feeling blessed and lending it forward
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yup, that is indeed the spirit! I feel so fortunate in life, especially compared with some of Kiva's borrowers, it's something positive I can do.

I just noticed I have been so busy I have accumulated $365 credit, so it's time to re-lend! To date, 284 loans totaling about $7,500 (some re-lent, but on occasion I add a bit to the pot, and if I used my Citi card I can get AA miles too,) and it's time to bring the personal and team totals up, give some others a hand up.

Originally Posted by MJLouise
I'm adding some credit for another new loan, with some birthday money I received recently. Feeling blessed and lending it forward

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.