Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Usually I have no issues with jet lag (especially homeward bound) and anyway, by the time I'm heading home, my body clock is already on JST, so 1:35 am is in "ouch" territory.

One thing I hated when I used to fly a lot to the ME was these crazy arrival and even crazier departure times, like 1-2-3 am. At one point I went out of my way to fly RJ, because they had daytime flights, as opposed to European carriers or TK.

Also, it's an extra hotel night, without having a good nights sleep. But on the upside, it's an extra qualifying night.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
While I'd prefer HND over NRT, but 01:35 departure? Ouch! Ouch again!
The last time I had a holiday in japan I deliberately chose the 0245 departure HND-LHR instead of the morning direct flight from NRT. I was in Osaka, so had the whole day there until the flight at 9pm KIX-HND and saved one night in the hotel (plus additional BA tier points for coming home via LHR instead of direct). I had several hours in the HND first class lounge and it was wonderfully quiet there (except for the westerners making calls on their phones in the main part of the lounge instead of in the small phone booths like all Japanese passengers do).
UpperDeck87K and Superrman like this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:03 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Usually I have no issues with jet lag (especially homeward bound) and anyway, by the time I'm heading home, my body clock is already on JST, so 1:35 am is in "ouch" territory.
It is ouch and that was the point. Makes it easier to sleep on the plane.
esledo likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:37 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Not a new AY frequency, but perhaps of interest as a part of positioning or filling OJs.
TF is launching BMA-TLL and BMA-RIX. Both 6 weekly (all days but saturday) starting march 2020 starting at ≈50€ segment
ATR it seems.

BMA-TLL-BMA
12345 11.15-13.20 // 13.55-14.00
7 16.55-19.00 // 19.35-19.40

BMA-RIX-BMA
12345 11.15-13.25 // 13.50-14.00
7 13.25-15.35 // 16.10-16.20
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
AFAIR, TF only credits domestic flights to AY+ (and AY-marketed flights, of course).

Also, seems the competing VBY-HEL is dropped, all the while Finnair enhanced its schedule on that same route?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:19 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Courmisch
AFAIR, TF only credits domestic flights to AY+ (and AY-marketed flights, of course).
Are you sure? I can't find such a limitation in the earnings table. As long as the booking class is right it ought to earn.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by intuition
Are you sure? I can't find such a limitation in the earnings table. As long as the booking class is right it ought to earn.
I'm pretty sure there was text to that effect, but it seems gone, so either the restriction was lifted, or yet another website bug.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

New codeshares. HEL-NAN via SIN, HKG and NRT will now be bookable under AY code (as well as under FJ Fiji Airways code), starting OCT27.
Codeshares on NAN-SFO and NAN-LAX are coming later.

Finnair now says it is possible to do RTW on AY-flightnumbers. True, but I guess no points will be awarded?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
If it's AY coded, I don't see how/why NOT to get points.
UpperDeck87K likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:59 am
Moderator, Finnair

Maybe because that "oneWorld connect" thingy means no points?

Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
I would understand that the table is for the "normal" FJ operated and marketed flights.

Until now the "rule" was:
  • AY marketed flight, regardless of the operating airline, you earn both award and tier points;
  • Flying with non oneworld AY partner airlines when it is not AY marketed earns only award points;
  • Flying oneworld marketed, but non-oneworld operated flights earns you nothing to AY+.

For me, the AY marketed, FJ operated flights fall into the first category, i.e. earning both award and tier points.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:00 am
Moderator, Finnair

I have no other insight than reading the table/webpage at
https://www.fijiairways.com/en-fj/ab...world-connect/

As for OW tier benefit to NAN lounge it says
  • Benefits apply when frequent flier customers are booked on their respective airline’s marketing/ codeshare flight number.
ie is included on codeshares to my understanding.

While the points column for non-sponsored airlines' tier members travelling on FJ operated flights strictly says zero award and zero tier points with footnote
  • Flights operated and marketed by Fiji Link are excluded.
My reading is that AY marketed FJ operated falls into that zero points category, just as Fuji link flights. But I am happy to be educated on the matter!

In the text is also
The ability for British Airways Executive Club Members to redeem Avios points on Fiji Airways and for Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club members to earn or redeem club points or earn status points on Fiji Airways will be available shortly after 5 December 2018, from a date to be announced in due course by the airlines concerned.

For detailed frequent flyer accrual and redemption rules, visit American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific and / or Qantas websites. For more information visit our Frequently Asked Questions to get answers today.
Again, indicating that only customers of sponsoring airlines are able to earn points.

And from their FAQ:

Will customers be able to earn and redeem mileage rewards and earn frequent flyer status points?

Currently for Fiji Airways, American Airlines’ AAdvantage, and Qantas’ Frequent Flyer members are eligible to earn and redeem rewards when flying on Fiji Airways.

Redeeming for British Airways Executive Club customers and earning/redeeming for Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Customers, will, for technical reasons, not be available for a few months after Fiji Airways is implemented as a oneworld connect partner.

Fiji Airways’ Tabua Club does not offer reward earning or redemption, or traditional status points earning, so its members will not be able to earn or redeem rewards or earn status points when flying on its oneworld sponsors American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific or Qantas.

Last edited by intuition; Oct 11, 2019 at 9:06 am
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
For AY+ members, it is very simple: any flight booked under AY code, regardless of whether the operator is AY, a OW airline or a non-OW airline, will earn exactly as if it was a normal AY flight. The only exception is that instead of the zone system, points are calculated by distance. This system is already in place with eg. SU.

FJ has its own programme called Tabua Club, and for FJ members, the rules might be very different. The rules that you copied apply to FJ members.
Courmisch likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: AY Platinum (oneworld Emerald), Bonvoy/Radisson/Hilton Gold
If you’re booked on an AY fight number and you want to collect points on AY Plus, the operating carrier nor oneworld connect contract doesn’t matter at all: one gets full tier points for instance Aeroflot-operated SVO-HEL if you book on an AY flight number. Right?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by UpperDeck87K
If you’re booked on an AY fight number and you want to collect points on AY Plus, the operating carrier nor oneworld connect contract doesn’t matter at all: one gets full tier points for instance Aeroflot-operated SVO-HEL if you book on an AY flight number. Right?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.