Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
What happened to QR's 10% stake in LA? If they still have it, I am not so sure that LA leaves.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Oneworld:
LATAM advised oneworld earlier today of their decision to partner with an airline outside of the oneworld alliance. LATAM further advised oneworld that they intend to leave the alliance in due course and in accordance with formal contractual requirements. We are disappointed, but we respect their decision. They have been a valued long-term member of the alliance, and we wish them well.
https://www.oneworld.com/news/2019-09-26-oneworld-statement-on-LATAM

DL also funding LATAM to leave oneworld.

So, Brazil with AY Value before it goes?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
This is sad. I have been planning to try their FRA-MAD for ages. I guess now would be the time.

Oh, and I also received AY+ points for an LA award ticket SCL-EZE. ^
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:10 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Oneworld:

https://www.oneworld.com/news/2019-0...ement-on-LATAM

DL also funding LATAM to leave oneworld.

So, Brazil with AY Value before it goes?
South America is a white spot on my map and it would be interesting. However not in Y, and with a codeshare the upgrade paths is possibly even worse than with a AY-operated flight...
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by ffay005
This is sad. I have been planning to try their FRA-MAD for ages. I guess now would be the time.
Me too! Time for a Do?
lkrt likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:29 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FFlash
Nooooo.... if this so, then south america will be a huge black hole. Star alliance equally bad served. And who carea about skyteam
Even getting there will be more difficult. From Europe there will be IB, but other routes will get pretty thin unless you want to go via NA. On southern hemisphere it is extremely poor. Between Australasia and SA there will now be only the lone QF SYD-SCL, with MEL and AKL cut-off/moved to ST. OW has nothing in in/out of Africa either

And thinking of it, OW is rather poor within Europe too, despite having 3 hubs. Unless you live in on of those three, doing intra-EU with OW is difficult.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by intuition
... OW has nothing in in/out of Africa either

And thinking of it, OW is rather poor within Europe too, despite having 3 hubs. Unless you live in on of those three, doing intra-EU with OW is difficult.
While Africa indeed is very poorly served by OW, BA does fly to Africa and IN Africa (Comair) as do RJ and QR. Even QF and CX fly to Africa. With AT joining OW next year (?) the coverage should slightly improve

OW lost a lot in Europe with the demises of AB & MA.
esledo likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: AY LUMO (500K+), Marriott Abassador, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by florens
Me too! Time for a Do?
I'll join the club
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: AY LUMO (500K+), Marriott Abassador, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by intuition
Even getting there will be more difficult. From Europe there will be IB, but other routes will get pretty thin unless you want to go via NA. On southern hemisphere it is extremely poor. Between Australasia and SA there will now be only the lone QF SYD-SCL, with MEL and AKL cut-off/moved to ST. OW has nothing in in/out of Africa either

but we've got time till next year to got those flights. Interesting if the award seat possibilities are also already cut?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:49 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
While Africa indeed is very poorly served by OW, BA does fly to Africa and IN Africa (Comair) as do RJ and QR. Even QF and CX fly to Africa. With AT joining OW next year (?) the coverage should slightly improve
I'll admit having my BA-screen glasses on, filtering out all the harmful rays
But here I was mainly thinking about Africa services as a go-between for South America, ie in terms of how well the continent South America is served on OW.
An African OW hub (currently non-existent), would make sense for such traffic in say DKR or indeed in RAK with AT coming online as partner. And they do fly to places like GRU, making HEL-RAK-GRU just a few miles longer than a direct. I wonder how BA/IB will react to that competition...

RAK is a bad hub for intra -Africa though, except possibly LHR to the west, like ivory cost et al

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger

OW lost a lot in Europe with the demises of AB & MA.
This.
AB isn't terribly missed as an airline per se but the loss of a German hub and a Hungarian hub is a blow to the alliance. The void is filled with Star and point-to-point LCCs

Last edited by intuition; Sep 27, 2019 at 6:55 am
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Sad to see LA go from OW, used them quite a bit when I lived in SCL. I used to do SCL-JFK sometimes via LIM with a 2-3 day stopover in NYC and then take AY 006. Did the same on the return with one night somewhere in Jamaica (Queens). Also took the MAD-FRA once.

I will certainly not miss the LATAM crowd in the JFK Flagship Lounge. They can go disturb the peace in the T4 Delta SkyClub instead.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by spek
I'll join the club
I can see cheap one way for 90€ in Business (Z class) in January 2020. Flight times from FRA are 1925-2155. Would Fridays work? No flights on Saturdays and Sundays unfortunately.

Flights are on the following days only:

M,W,Th,F
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AY LUMO
HEL-FRA AY (Fri)
FRA-MAD LA (789) (Fri)
MAD-LHR IB (346) (Sat)
LHR-HEL AY (Sat)
FFlash likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
HEL-FRA AY (Fri)
FRA-MAD LA (789) (Fri)
MAD-LHR IB (346) (Sat)
LHR-HEL AY (Sat)
This. For those who hate Shitberia there is also BA 777.

24. or 31.1., would that work?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Great itinerary! Will AY evening flight to FRA do or is it better to take the morning flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.