Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by t3nnents
Can I transfer Avios 1:1 from BA to AY with no issues?
AY Plus points will be converted 2/3 but BA Avios won’t be. It should be easy to transfer them to AY Avios.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 5:04 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY plat/SK EBG/LH SEN/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Amex is having another 50000 points referral campaign, just FYI as someone here was asking earlier. If anyone needs a referral happy to help with a DM or on my profile. I dont think referral links are allowed in posts here but not sure
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:48 pm

Great advertisement for Amex insurance:

https://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/art-2000010058536.html

Usually there is a lot more to these stories but i have always considered these credit card travel insurance as a "toy insurance". Insurance companies as a whole are of course scum of the earth when you are trying to get reimbursed for other than some broken phone screens or similar few hundred or thousand euro matters..
kauppias likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 10:54 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY plat/SK EBG/LH SEN/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by joorinainen

Usually there is a lot more to these stories but i have always considered these credit card travel insurance as a "toy insurance". Insurance companies as a whole are of course scum of the earth when you are trying to get reimbursed for other than some broken phone screens or similar few hundred or thousand euro matters..

Wow not good...

Ive had mainly positive outcomes with amex insurance. My only bad experience was with a broken phone, funny enough AXA finland denied but AXA uk paid based on another card so all is well. I never use ax insurance as my primary but as a suplemantary insurance.
joorinainen and Matin like this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 1:26 am

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
Glad I cancelled my Platinum 2 days ago.....
Old Dec 16, 2023, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by joorinainen

Looks like amex responded now

https://www.iltalehti.fi/ulkomaat/a/...d-0c4c03698faf

Perhaps they will make some changes based on feedback
joorinainen likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 2:02 am

About 6 years ago they had a different insurance company, I made a claim about a bag that the insurance denied, complained to amex and 3 hours later claim approved 🤷‍♂️🤣

But axa seems a difficult company to deal with for sure
Old Dec 16, 2023, 2:09 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by kauppias
Looks like amex responded now

https://www.iltalehti.fi/ulkomaat/a/...d-0c4c03698faf

Perhaps they will make some changes based on feedback
surprise…”paha kello kauas kuuluu”, bad publicity work.

btw I thought for a while but will not take amex after all since I got the OP plat anyhow after manual intervention. But it was troublesome…likewise bad publicity I say for OP. Anyhow, too great benefits to pass for a free campaign year
kauppias likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 3:00 am

Amex Experiences or lack there of!

Thought it would be useful to share my latest dealings with AXA/Amex plat insurance.

So my luggage was delayed for 48h from the time of landing at destination to time it was delivered to my hotel address, and AXA/Amex promises upto 800€ credit for buying essential/clothes during this time before you actually have your luggage delivered.

I had the experience of this benefit once used back in 2022 and it worked smoothly and I just purchased some pairs of shirts and trousers and AxA paid no questions asked within a week.

So I was pretty confident that this time would be the same, boy I didn’t factor in new enhancements!

Long story short, whether you spend 100€ or their promised 800€, AXA passes the buck to the airline for compensation/decline of it, in which case they would allow any claim to be directed at them to be examined(why airline declined, etc).
So in reality, your communication line to your airline, your status with them, and generally the way they treat you is more worthy of concentrating and investing than spending 75% your travel costs on Amex with ridiculous FX and MR rates to make you qualify for their unreliable insurance to then be out of pockets for months not to mention all the paperwork and document gathering.
vulle likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
This insurance circus is one key reason I left them and not taken new card since then.

For me a marketed benefit is a true benefit only and only when it is delivered troublefree. A hassle benefit which u need to spend an effort to get is a nuisance and a negative benefit actually
intuition, Purjelentaja and Matin like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
As a UK plat holder I have to say I'm very impressed by Pier Zero. What a nice environment and excellent food. Having recently fallen to Sapphire, this has made my long wait for the HKG flight later tonight a little nicer!

Old Jan 3, 2024, 4:42 am

Programs: AY Plat, HHonors & Bonvoy Gold
Apparently, the 400 € dining credit for Finnish cards (200 € for domestic use and 200 € for use abroad) has been discontinued since the beginning of 2024. Replaced by adding a few more extra "Dining by AMEX" occasions for the year (6 instead of 3). Quite a big downgrade, considering the rising monthly fees.

Last edited by tieturi; Jan 3, 2024 at 5:59 am Reason: Added the amount of Dining benefits
Old Jan 3, 2024, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by tieturi
Apparently, the 400 € dining credit for Finnish cards (200 € for domestic use and 200 € for use abroad) has been discontinued since the beginning of 2024. Replaced by adding a few more extra "Dining by AMEX" occasions for the year. Quite a big downgrade, considering the rising monthly fees.
780€/year...

The website is inconsistent about The Dining by Amex. At one point it says 3x, at another 6x

As long as I have AY Plat or Gold (and especially some *A and/or ST status on top) it makes no sense for me. With free Dragonpass lounge is $28/visit
r2d2 likes this.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Jan 3, 2024 at 4:55 am
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:55 am

Apparently, the 400 € dining credit for Finnish cards (200 € for domestic use and 200 € for use abroad) has been discontinued since the beginning of 2024. Replaced by adding a few more extra "Dining by AMEX" occasions for the year. Quite a big downgrade, considering the rising monthly fees.
and considering that most of the dining by amex places are in the Capitol region too with very limited reservations spots over all its a tough call for many I am sure.

I am holding on til March but then its time to decide
vulle likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:59 am

Apparently, the 400 € dining credit for Finnish cards (200 € for domestic use and 200 € for use abroad) has been discontinued since the beginning of 2024. Replaced by adding a few more extra "Dining by AMEX" occasions for the year (6 instead of 3). Quite a big downgrade, considering the rising monthly fees.
Like i have written before "Dining by Amex" is a complete joke. Want to go to eat? Next available reservation time is 15.30 a month from here in a restaurant which is 400 kilometers away. Any other way to collect avios with credit card in Finland with better rates than Amex Plat or how to get Amex from another country?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.