Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:03 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by joorinainen
Like i have written before "Dining by Amex" is a complete joke. Want to go to eat? Next available reservation time is 15.30 a month from here in a restaurant which is 400 kilometers away. Any other way to collect avios with credit card in Finland with better rates than Amex Plat or how to get Amex from another country?
finnair Visa 😀

If only some banks other then OP offered real premium cards for a fee without strings I would jump at it, I like having the PP card with guests but I suppose I can deal with losing that...
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by kauppias;35872097[b
]finnair Visa[/b] 😀

If only some banks other then OP offered real premium cards for a fee without strings I would jump at it, I like having the PP card with guests but I suppose I can deal with losing that...
"ojasta allikkoon"
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:57 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
"ojasta allikkoon"
usually, though the VISA seems a good card for now, and one can get some lounge visits from other cards I guess
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Finnair Plus Platinum, TAP Silver, EB Silver, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, NCH Platinum , BW Diamond
Originally Posted by tango_echo
As a UK plat holder I have to say I'm very impressed by Pier Zero. What a nice environment and excellent food. Having recently fallen to Sapphire, this has made my long wait for the HKG flight later tonight a little nicer!

You were still able to get in without the Amex Experiences mobile app checkin which seems to be enforced now in there and Espresso House?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by kauppias
usually, though the VISA seems a good card for now, and one can get some lounge visits from other cards I guess
Actually i was a bit hesitant. I checked Aktia Finnair credit card like you mentioned and compared it to Amex Platinum from a avios collector point of view. I think there is something around 40k bonus when you spend atleast 40 000€ with Amex and you could get 3 AY points instead of 2.5 AY points with Aktia card if you have silver or higher status with AY. I also trusted AY when they say that transfer ratio from AY to Avios will be 3/2 ratio. Quite remarkable difference still.

100 000€/year spend:

Amex Platinum: 100 000€ is 100 000Amex points is 58 823avios (82 352avios with bonus)
Aktia Finnair CC: 100 000€ is 250 000AY points is 166 666avios (200 000avios with silver or higher AY status)

Amex: 1€=0,588avios or 0,823avios if you are eligible for the spend bonus
Aktia: 1€=1,666avios or 2avios if you have AY silver or higher

Quite hard to justify Amex Platinum 65€ monthly fee if you fly mainly business class and don't need the priority pass. What else there is left then? Insurances, few hotel programs and dining benefit?
vulle likes this.

Last edited by joorinainen; Jan 3, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:39 pm

Actually i was a bit hesitant. I checked Aktia Finnair credit card like you mentioned and compared it to Amex Platinum from a avios collector point of view. I think there is something around 40k bonus when you spend atleast 40 000€ with Amex and you could get 3 AY points instead of 2.5 AY points with Aktia card if you have silver or higher status with AY. I also trusted AY when they say that transfer ratio from AY to Avios will be 3/2 ratio. Quite remarkable difference still.

100 000€/year spend:

Amex Platinum: 100 000€ is 100 000Amex points is 58 823avios (82 352avios with bonus)
Aktia Finnair CC: 100 000€ is 250 000AY points is 166 666avios (200 000avios with silver or higher AY status)

Quite hard to justify Amex Platinum 65€ monthly fee if you fly mainly business class and don't need the priority pass. What else there is left then? Insurances, few hotel programs and dining benefit?

indeed I use amex for benefits and visa for shopping but thats just me
vulle likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards

I was not aware of the AX bonus after 40k - is this published perk?

I think that the Visa 2 Avios/€ rate is a very attractive proposition - AFAIK UK cards typically earn 1Avios/£

If one rents often privately, then there can be some savings on the rental insurance, that could offset the 65€/month fee. If one stays often at the Hilton (or Radisson) privately, also some savings on the free brekkie - but if one stays often, one would make HH Gold anyway. Travel insurance - again, for many people it's included in their home insurance. I think AX Plat (FIN) might be attractive for some occasional leisure travellers, but not for the heavy hitting FT crowd

Personal note:
Before I cancelled my AX at the previous round of enhancements, I engaged them on one of their social media channels - the agent replied, that probably it's not for me anyway, as the cards and perks are meant for people travelling a lot. I left it at that, noting how little they knew about people and their needs who travel a lot. Called in and cancelled the card - they never asked why I cancel a 20+ years relationship.
vulle likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger;35874511[b
]I was not aware of the AX bonus after 40k - is this published perk?[/b]

I think that the Visa 2 Avios/€ rate is a very attractive proposition - AFAIK UK cards typically earn 1Avios/£

If one rents often privately, then there can be some savings on the rental insurance, that could offset the 65€/month fee. If one stays often at the Hilton (or Radisson) privately, also some savings on the free brekkie - but if one stays often, one would make HH Gold anyway. Travel insurance - again, for many people it's included in their home insurance. I think AX Plat (FIN) might be attractive for some occasional leisure travellers, but not for the heavy hitting FT crowd

Personal note:
Before I cancelled my AX at the previous round of enhancements, I engaged them on one of their social media channels - the agent replied, that probably it's not for me anyway, as the cards and perks are meant for people travelling a lot. I left it at that, noting how little they knew about people and their needs who travel a lot. Called in and cancelled the card - they never asked why I cancel a 20+ years relationship.
http://www.americanexpress.com/fi/as...lisapiste.html

Sounds crazy. Actually i will send application for Aktia Visa card. Hopefully they will not devalue earnings in the future.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:51 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/FB/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Called in and cancelled the card - they never asked why I cancel a 20+ years relationship.
One customer means nothing to the corporate giant. Especially if not US citizen. But c'est la vie, money matters. Felt also bad in 2020 as member since 1990 after 30 years of membership and no question why terminating. Now as nearing pension age, I like the card with perks, but a silly remark member since 2022 (as well as the 2024 free OP Plat with a better PP)!
Old Jan 4, 2024, 9:25 am

I thought i would never ask this but what is the easiest and cost effective way to gain Finnair Silver so i can enjoy the higher multiplier
Old Jan 4, 2024, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by TTL
One customer means nothing to the corporate giant. Especially if not US citizen. But c'est la vie, money matters. Felt also bad in 2020 as member since 1990 after 30 years of membership and no question why terminating. Now as nearing pension age, I like the card with perks, but a silly remark member since 2022 (as well as the 2024 free OP Plat with a better PP)!
This is just bad management imho. Much easier to retain customer than to get new one
Old Jan 4, 2024, 9:31 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/FB/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
I thought i would never ask this but what is the easiest and cost effective way to gain Finnair Silver so i can enjoy the higher multiplier
Even gold if PM me after April fools day. Currently my friends are flying so little that they will not deserve the gold benefits .
joorinainen likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:14 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by LassiJ
You were still able to get in without the Amex Experiences mobile app checkin which seems to be enforced now in there and Espresso House?
Yes they asked for the app, but when I apologetically said I didn't have it they said they could instead charge / pre-authorise ten cents on my card to prove it was a live one. I expected to be sent away as a non-Nordic cardholder!
LassiJ likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:41 am

Looks like spend limit is coming as of 1.4.2024 as part of the positive credit record in Finland... intresting to see how that goes for amex...
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:42 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, EBG, FB Blue, Asante Platinum, AB Exec
Just received the e-mail about the positive credit register and the changes coming with that regarding the purchase limits on AMEX. The strange thing about this mail was in my gmail inbox preview. First line sender, second line the title "new credit register", third line "To keep your card you must use it during this period". When opening the mail, there is just information about upcoming changes.

Anyone else noticed this? Wrote to AMEX using the chat in the app and they stated "there is nothing here on our end that requires you to use the card".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.