Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

Old Sep 28, 2023, 4:15 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by intuition
The same move from 400Ä cashback to "dinner for two" is announced in sweden. So not "aimed" at Finnish market.
the main problem I have with amex offers is they are in Finland mostly HELsinki based offers making it of little use to others... the 400eur dining credit was what has kept me with amex their insurance has been useless the last 2 times I tried to use it and the depsrture of wine and view has left very little for me since I get fast track, lounges etc anyways. Lounge 2 go is NOT that valuable for me to keep it... now I just need tp decide what I will do with 200k ax points
Matin likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 4:16 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by tajp
Sad to see the benefit go, it was one of the reason why I got the card in the start as it offset most of the AF. I don't think the upgrade to "dinner for two" will come close to matching 400Ä dining credit, those dinners have so far been pretty disappointing. If my employer wouldn't subsidise the card I definitely would consider canceling it after the change.
I wish my employer would subsidize the card too 😀
Old Sep 28, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
400Ä dinner cashback was great. Dinner for 2 not at all, menus often limited and you have to pay extra for all drinjs and extras. Like in Lucy in the Skies ordered curry, but had to pay for rice! Besides many of the restaurants only give times like 5pm or 8.30pm, nothing in between.
Sucks!
Ukki and kauppias like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 5:37 pm

Dining for two is a goddamn joke(very limited choice of restaurants, REALLY poor availability for reservations if any and last but not least: hardly impossible to redeem if living outside HEL. Im not sure how long i will let these devaluations slide and continue to pay for the card.
FFlash likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by sakari1707
400Ä dinner cashback was great. Dinner for 2 not at all, menus often limited and you have to pay extra for all drinjs and extras. Like in Lucy in the Skies ordered curry, but had to pay for rice! Besides many of the restaurants only give times like 5pm or 8.30pm, nothing in between.
Sucks!
Originally Posted by joorinainen
Dining for two is a goddamn joke(very limited choice of restaurants, REALLY poor availability for reservations if any and last but not least: hardly impossible to redeem if living outside HEL. Im not sure how long i will let these devaluations slide and continue to pay for the card.

Indeed a very poor move IMO...

While I will miss somw aspects I will survive.

Too bad there is no alternatives. I wonder if the US now loses their airline credit or do the nordics have to fund the benefits of the US market 😅😅
Old Sep 28, 2023, 11:58 pm

Itís a bit puzzling that Amex even offers their cards in Nordics in the first place!

Apart from Finland which Amex is accepted in major retailers such as S/K groups, Tokmanni, etc as well as petrol stations (Neste) and even a lot of independent businesses, trying to use Amex in Denmark, Sweden, Norway in any place other than Scandic, Strawberry, or Thon hotels will lead to disappointments!

More variety of Amex products are on offer in Sweden/Norway, and yet acceptability rate is barely 10 percent!
FFlash likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 12:15 am

Programs: AY
Originally Posted by Matin
Itís a bit puzzling that Amex even offers their cards in Nordics in the first place!

Apart from Finland which Amex is accepted in major retailers such as S/K groups, Tokmanni, etc as well as petrol stations (Neste) and even a lot of independent businesses, trying to use Amex in Denmark, Sweden, Norway in any place other than Scandic, Strawberry, or Thon hotels will lead to disappointments!

More variety of Amex products are on offer in Sweden/Norway, and yet acceptability rate is barely 10 percent!
In my experience I've had much more luck using Amex in Sweden compared to Finland, but maybe I just tend to use businesses that are more likely to accept it. Never had my card not accepted in Sweden but Finland its so common that I pretty much only use it at S group businesses. For Norway I don't think I ever found a business that accepted Amex. Even the Oslo airport express train advertise Amex cards but you can't even buy tickets for the train with amex.

I guess it's not much of a payment card but rather a lounge card.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by tajp
In my experience I've had much more luck using Amex in Sweden compared to Finland, but maybe I just tend to use businesses that are more likely to accept it. Never had my card not accepted in Sweden but Finland its so common that I pretty much only use it at S group businesses. For Norway I don't think I ever found a business that accepted Amex. Even the Oslo airport express train advertise Amex cards but you can't even buy tickets for the train with amex.

I guess it's not much of a payment card but rather a lounge card.
Comparing to UK market that even Poundland, Lidl, Aldi, and many more discount retailers accept Amex, acceptability in Scandinavia is pretty bad!

In Sweden the only major retailer that accepts it in their hypermarkets is Coop! Some Coop supermarkets accept it too but depends on the location.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I gave up AX a year or so ago, but in the previous decades I had no problems using it in Finland, aside from the random kebab place...
Old Nov 30, 2023, 6:24 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/FB/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Happened to have a look at the Amex Experiences app. Global lounges tab states that access is provided in more than 1400 lounges in 140 countries. Bring the Plat card, PP, same day boarding pass, and the supplementary card member to enjoy:

1. The Centurion Lounge
2. Priority Pass Lounges
3. Plaza Premium Lounges
4. Lufthansa Business Lounges
5. Delta SkyClub
6. Escape Lounges
7. Additional American Express Collection Partner Lounges

Anyone tried 4. or 5. ?
Old Nov 30, 2023, 6:38 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by TTL
Happened to have a look at the Amex Experiences app. Global lounges tab states that access is provided in more than 1400 lounges in 140 countries. Bring the Plat card, PP, same day boarding pass, and the supplementary card member to enjoy:

1. The Centurion Lounge
2. Priority Pass Lounges
3. Plaza Premium Lounges
5. Delta SkyClub
6. Escape Lounges

Anyone tried 4. or 5. ?
Delta Sky Club access requires you to fly Delta, and Lufthansa on LH, LX or OS.
TTL likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:33 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/FB/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by lkrt
Delta Sky Club access requires you to fly Delta, and Lufthansa on LH, LX or OS.
Not bad if not SkyTeam elite+ and *alliance gold card holder (God forbid and bless, have strength!) - and would be suited for the unlikely guests behind the curtains !

Last edited by TTL; Dec 4, 2023 at 10:42 am
Old Dec 4, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by TTL

1. The Centurion Lounge
2. Priority Pass Lounges
3. Plaza Premium Lounges
5. Delta SkyClub
6. Escape Lounges

Anyone tried 4. or 5. ?
5. is usually packed to the gills especially where Iím based, but f&b selection is decent. The premium salads are an easy way to burn SkyPesos.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by TTL
Not bad if not SkyTeam elite+ and *alliance gold card holder (God forbid and bless, have strength!) - and would be suited for the unlikely guests behind the curtains !
Especially as (even non-DL) ST E+ doesnít get you lounge access without an intl bp.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 2:34 am

What is the best way to transfer MR points to Avios? Finnair gives now 10 plus points per 17 MR, but BA gives 10 Avios per 17 points.
Can I transfer Avios 1:1 from BA to AY with no issues?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.