Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

Old Sep 14, 2023, 2:01 pm

Pier Zero is actually pretty nice. Get a warm dish and drink, then go to AY lounge for a drink
Old Sep 14, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by t3nnents
Pier Zero is actually pretty nice. Get a warm dish and drink, then go to AY lounge for a drink
nice yes but is it worth 65 a month 🤣🤔
Old Sep 14, 2023, 11:10 pm

IMO all plat benefits and cashback are well worth 65/month.
kauppias likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 11:30 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
it can be, if one uses them all. Honestly Using ax for purchases IS NOT a good deal but to each their own. Even norwegian visa gives more cashback but for the dining benefits its good if ypu can use them and for lounges IF you can use them
with all the cuts its a very personal choice if its worth it to YOU 😀

For those with all three alliances status cards it can ne little less useful then those without. For me the insurance was huge but if they nit pick that too its less usefull ..

Dining benefits are nice but not the easiest to use if not based in big cities...

I use plat for bennies and charge on Plutus or Aktia for points anf CB, Norwegian visa for cash withdrawls 😃
Matin likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 11:53 pm

Id say it all comes down to numbers!

65/month is a good value if theres at least another active platinum supplement card(rinnakkaiskortti) user on the account who would benefit from hotel statuses/lounge access/etc

If there are more gold supplement cards on the account even better.

400 dining credit is valuable, but ofc it needs time to book those restaurants on the list and to be honest the international part of that credit which is 200 is much better value in terms of choice/quality.

The most unrivalled part of AmexPlats is the credit limit which is so high, ofc based on personal utilisation, that when frequenting variety of posh hotels, one would not run out of credit when getting numerous relatively big pre-authorisation amounts which could last some days on the card before its released.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Matin
Id say it all comes down to numbers!

65/month is a good value if theres at least another active platinum supplement card(rinnakkaiskortti) user on the account who would benefit from hotel statuses/lounge access/etc

If there are more gold supplement cards on the account even better.

400 dining credit is valuable, but ofc it needs time to book those restaurants on the list and to be honest the international part of that credit which is 200 is much better value in terms of choice/quality.

The most unrivalled part of AmexPlats is the credit limit which is so high, ofc based on personal utilisation, that when frequenting variety of posh hotels, one would not run out of credit when getting numerous relatively big pre-authorisation amounts which could last some days on the card before its released.

The credit side is of little use to me personally as if I spend 20 or 30k on stuff I want POINTS galore and AX just does NOT offer that...

Say 30k is 90k ay pts on Aktia

Or on a Crypto card 900 t0 1500 0r more

Or 105 on amex rewards cash back 🙃😃
Old Sep 27, 2023, 2:28 am

Programs: AY
Received new amex platinum card this month and it looks like Finnair started charging card fee for using it. I know the website has always stated 1.95% fee but was never previously charged this when I used amex in the past with Finnair. Anybody else noticed same or might my old amex have been incorrectly classified by Finnair before.

I guess this is one more reason not to use amex anymore...
Old Sep 27, 2023, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by tajp
Received new amex platinum card this month and it looks like Finnair started charging card fee for using it. I know the website has always stated 1.95% fee but was never previously charged this when I used amex in the past with Finnair. Anybody else noticed same or might my old amex have been incorrectly classified by Finnair before.

Ive been using personal Amex for Finnair flights since 2018 and for flights originating in Finland there has always been a surcharge booking directly. However, the same surcharge does not apply in other markets, for example Finnair flights from Sweden, UK, etc
Old Sep 27, 2023, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by tajp

One more reason not to use Finnair anymore
cistavoda and Matin like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by Matin
I’ve been using personal Amex for Finnair flights since 2018 and for flights originating in Finland there has always been a surcharge booking directly. However, the same surcharge does not apply in other markets, for example Finnair flights from Sweden, UK, etc
How strange, I have used a personal Amex on Finnair website for over a decade and never paid a credit card surcharge for any flight. My most recent booking for a flight originating in Finland was today, no surcharge. But there are some airlines that do add a credit card surcharge on my card, for example Norwegian.
vulle likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by haapalainen
How strange, I have used a personal Amex on Finnair website for over a decade and never paid a credit card surcharge for any flight. My most recent booking for a flight originating in Finland was today, no surcharge. But there are some airlines that do add a credit card surcharge on my card, for example Norwegian.
According to Finnair Fees for payment methods vary according to the cards type, scheme and country of issue, and the trips origin of travel.

Following is the surcharges for Personal credit cards,

Source
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:33 am

Amex is renewing terms in 2024 i.e making it worse. 400 restaurant cashback will be removed and "dinner for two" benefit will be upgraded. Not convinced at all it will match that flexibility and value of that great 400 benefit. A reason to step off platinum, maybe...
joorinainen likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:47 am

Programs: AY
Amex is renewing terms in 2024 i.e making it worse. 400 restaurant cashback will be removed and "dinner for two" benefit will be upgraded. Not convinced at all it will match that flexibility and value of that great 400 benefit. A reason to step off platinum, maybe...
Sad to see the benefit go, it was one of the reason why I got the card in the start as it offset most of the AF. I don't think the upgrade to "dinner for two" will come close to matching 400 dining credit, those dinners have so far been pretty disappointing. If my employer wouldn't subsidise the card I definitely would consider canceling it after the change.
kauppias likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:48 am

Most probably thats what theyre aiming for! To make it more difficult to redeem, since DinnerForTwo restaurants are all in Helsinki and unless living in the region then its useless.

They've already devalued MR points, removed Marriott Gold, and now this!

Next leaving Finnish market!?
Ukki likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:58 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The same move from 400€ cashback to "dinner for two" is announced in sweden. So not "aimed" at Finnish market.
Matin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.