Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

American Express in Finland - 2020 and onward

Old Mar 4, 2024, 3:58 pm
  #541  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: ATL/MCO
Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Posts: 5,658
Originally Posted by t3nnents
P0 is indeed very nice especially when flying with guest. It´s easily 100€ worth of food and drinks.
But how about dining benefit? They took 400€ away and replaced it with dinner for two.

Probably not worth to keep Platinum unless you fly a lot but not business?
What statement credits (if any) does the Finnish Plat come with? Tried looking at the website but couldn’t gain any clarity. €780 seems high considering the paltry point earnings as I understand it.

I can easily justify my $695 US one with $240 on streaming, $200 airline fee credit (which I refill my UA travel bank with), $200 for Uber (usable on both rides and food) plus $100 every few years to renew my Global Entry. Add in all the other perks and it’s a decent bang for the buck.
miamiflyer8 is offline  
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:23 pm
  #542  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seat 1L these days :)
Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Posts: 7,922
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
What statement credits (if any) does the Finnish Plat come with? Tried looking at the website but couldn’t gain any clarity. €780 seems high considering the paltry point earnings as I understand it.

I can easily justify my $695 US one with $240 on streaming, $200 airline fee credit (which I refill my UA travel bank with), $200 for Uber (usable on both rides and food) plus $100 every few years to renew my Global Entry. Add in all the other perks and it’s a decent bang for the buck.
finnish card comes with zero which is bad enough for the 780€ fee and now were losing the main benefit of no predefined limit for use too

My tenure with amex ends in april after my travel seasons weans out. I now get my lounges from status and another card for priority pass so theres just no point in paying 780€ without the 400€ credit for dining. The dinner for 2 is too much of a hassle to take a train 1-2 hours to go have dinner in another city that I have to pay for part of anyways...

Its still a deal for those who live in those cities and or dont have status and need the other benefits. The insurance has become unreliable for me so of no use.


If we had streaming/airline/uber credits like the US it would be a no brainer to keep it
FFlash, miamiflyer8, Matin and 1 others like this.
kauppias is offline  
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:31 pm
  #543  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: ATL/MCO
Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Posts: 5,658
Originally Posted by kauppias
The dinner for 2 is too much of a hassle to take a train 1-2 hours to go have dinner in another city that I have to pay for part of anyways...
You’ve missed your reservation by the time VR gets you there 😂😂
FFlash and kauppias like this.
miamiflyer8 is offline  
Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:45 pm
  #544  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seat 1L these days :)
Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Posts: 7,922
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
You’ve missed your reservation by the time VR gets you there 😂😂
😄😀

I am more on time with VR then Finnair, I guess I am lucky as I have only been delayd 4 times in over 80000km on the train 😄
FFlash and miamiflyer8 like this.
kauppias is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2024, 1:30 am
  #545  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Helsinki
Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Posts: 430
I strongly recommend Mat Distrikt in Helsinki for plamex deal: the place is nice, food is great (you can have 42 € tenderloin for the deal), wines are great and go well with the food (I had 2014 Medoc, 22€/16cl).

I also like Pier0 a lot: the shrimp sandwich is great, and 2+2 glasses of champagne work great, although they recently changed the champagne for worse. Imo the biggest "problem" with amex is that you miss value since you also have access to AY lounge, in other words it's tårta på tårta. This is why I have often eaten in lounge, then had those shrimp sandwiches takeaway and had champers while waiting. However, now they have changed this so that takeaway is only from downstairs and only some crappy sandwich and coffee. So if you want to have the good stuff, you have to eat there.
mikalie likes this.
kanamurva is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:11 am
  #546  
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: HEL
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by kanamurva
I strongly recommend Mat Distrikt in Helsinki for plamex deal: the place is nice, food is great (you can have 42 € tenderloin for the deal), wines are great and go well with the food (I had 2014 Medoc, 22€/16cl).

I also like Pier0 a lot: the shrimp sandwich is great, and 2+2 glasses of champagne work great, although they recently changed the champagne for worse. Imo the biggest "problem" with amex is that you miss value since you also have access to AY lounge, in other words it's tårta på tårta. This is why I have often eaten in lounge, then had those shrimp sandwiches takeaway and had champers while waiting. However, now they have changed this so that takeaway is only from downstairs and only some crappy sandwich and coffee. So if you want to have the good stuff, you have to eat there.
I have booked Mat Distrikt for next week, sounds good!
How does that P0 drink policy go? You can choose any 2 alcohol per person?
t3nnents is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:52 am
  #547  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Helsinki
Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Posts: 430
Originally Posted by t3nnents
I have booked Mat Distrikt for next week, sounds good!
How does that P0 drink policy go? You can choose any 2 alcohol per person?
At least wines and beers, yes. They have some decent reds as well, with 16cl pour (champ is 10-12cl).
kanamurva is offline  
Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:41 pm
  #548  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,600
Originally Posted by t3nnents
What is the best way to transfer MR points to Avios? Finnair gives now 10 plus points per 17 MR, but BA gives 10 Avios per 17 points.
Can I transfer Avios 1:1 from BA to AY with no issues?
So it is now 17 MR to 10 (AY/BA) Avios and it used to be 17 MR to 10 Ay+ points so the redeeming has been improved 👍🏼.
nordic is online now  
Old Mar 12, 2024, 5:01 pm
  #549  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 194
Originally Posted by nordic
So it is now 17 MR to 10 (AY/BA) Avios and it used to be 17 MR to 10 Ay+ points so the redeeming has been improved 👍🏼.
that is still way worse than Finnair Visa, which gives you 2 Avios for every EUR you spend.
nordic and kanamurva like this.
cheesyfeet is offline  
Old Mar 16, 2024, 7:43 pm
  #550  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,503
Originally Posted by cheesyfeet
that is still way worse than Finnair Visa, which gives you 2 Avios for every EUR you spend.
I changed all my spend from Amex to Aktia. Im in Asia currently and i have these targeted ads popping up on my device. Amex Platinum benefits for Thailand: https://www.americanexpress.com/th/e...platinum-card/

Finland as usual getting the short end of the stick.
joorinainen is offline  
Old Mar 17, 2024, 3:16 am
  #551  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seat 1L these days :)
Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Posts: 7,922
Originally Posted by joorinainen
I changed all my spend from Amex to Aktia. Im in Asia currently and i have these targeted ads popping up on my device. Amex Platinum benefits for Thailand: https://www.americanexpress.com/th/e...platinum-card/

Finland as usual getting the short end of the stick.
intresting that dining credits still there and bonvoy...
kauppias is offline  
Old Mar 17, 2024, 6:37 am
  #552  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: HEL
Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
Posts: 454
In Hong Kong saw an Amex add, join Amex Plat, spend approx 6500€ in 3months and receive 1.000.000 MR points.
sakari1707 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:42 am
  #553  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seat 1L these days :)
Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Posts: 7,922
Originally Posted by sakari1707
In Hong Kong saw an Amex add, join Amex Plat, spend approx 6500€ in 3months and receive 1.000.000 MR points.
wow, I really need to move abroad 😂🤷‍♂️
kauppias is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:41 am
  #554  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Helsinki
Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Posts: 430
I did cancel my plamex recently. Here are some opinions on the card:

Imo the value of the card depends vastly on how much you are flying because the best perks are at the airport. And even then there's the problem of overlapping benefits (aka tårta på tårta): I think the Pier0 shrimp sandwich with 2 glasses of champagne is a great perk but it's undermined with the fact that you could eat at AY lounge for free. I did solve this a couple of times by eating first at lounge and then taking those sandwiches takeaway and sipping bubbles while waiting but now they have changed this so that takeaway stuff is limited only to some basic sandwich and coffee.

The arrival Plaza premium (aka Kauppiaslounge) was ok while it lasted: as Helsinki based, I visited 3 times without flying, and from some trips it served actually well as arrival lounge. The level of food was quite bad all the time though, so I never went to this place preflight since I valued AY better every time.

Getting those extra perks like Hilton gold / Radisson gold was techically painful but I found the Hilton useful one time in London where we got lounge access and breakfast for free, and those came really handy since everything is so expensive in London nowadays. Radisson Oulu was great 2 times: I got the minilounge access (no booze, but coffee, soft drinks, fruits, candies) and a really nice room. I'm interested if these perks stay after cancelling the card of do they proactively cancel these. They might stay, since the amex doesn't seem that organised.

Car rental perks: I don't think there are any that are any better than with airline status.

Restaurant money / free meals: I found the 200+200€ money a bit painful since sometimes it was difficult to find suitable restaurants while abroad. Also this new system of having 2 2 course meals 6 times a year for free needs quite a lot of planning and you end up to same restaurants a lot (Mat Distrikt was great here). Depending how you value those these could easily give you the full value of what you pay per year.

Other events: There was one Erin concert in Kulttuuritalo and one Arman Alizad breakfast event which both were nice. Lately it's been silent though.

Using the card: this is the crazy part: at least based on my calculations there was absolutely no point of actually using the card. I did quite a lot of homework about transferring the points to some other program but I couldn't find anything reasonable that would be worth the trouble and could beat the direct cashback of 0,5 % that they give if you just pay the bill with your points. Before AY devaluations and with the new 3* aktia deal that card gave 1,5 % instead so my amex was pretty much unused. One could argue that you get travel insurance or rental car insurance but I didn't really have faith on this because the conditions are seedy and if the .... hits the fan, you need to haggle with some foreign insurance company. We have recent data that this doesn't work as it's supposed to. Also many of my flights have been awards recently so it's difficult to say how much they are worth (a certain % of the trips € needs to be paid with amex in order to get the insurances). Also amex doesn't work everywhere so unless you have everything prebooked, you're risking a lot of hazzle if relying on the amex insurance.

I did cancel because I don't fly that much anymore after all the enhancements. However, for some FT idiot with lots of legs I would still find the card very good.
ffay005 and joorinainen like this.
kanamurva is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:35 am
  #555  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: HEL
Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Posts: 14,099
kanamurva - interesting take!

Of the perks you mention and appreciate it seems that the road warriors have the least to benefit from (tårta på tårta) - they (we) get those mainly from existing airline/hotel/rental status.

OTOH the “occasional“ traveler might benefit the most - no meaningful status anywhere, but AX plat gets the perks. It’s another question if the numbers add up for this demographic.
kanamurva likes this.
WilcoRoger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.