Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY Cancelling "most" Flights April 1 onwards. Refunds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Cancelling "most" Flights April 1 onwards. Refunds?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by intuition
Did vouchers get the extended date?
My membership year have been extended, and vouchers that was inside the account at that time was also extended. But I have 2 vouchers in the black hole, I wonder what expiry date they'll get when they are recovered.
Napapiiri was talking about cash vouchers, if I understood correctly. The expired upgrade vouchers I got back got validity until 31MAY and we'll see if they become extended with the tier extension when it happens on my account.
intuition likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I have a flight within 14 days that hasn't been cancelled yet - is EU/261 applicable? A general notice "we'll cancel the majority of our flights" is not a cancellation. The app still shows "departure in 13 days" - which I'm 100% won't happen as the destination is not on the list of published destinations that they'll continue flying to.
Originally Posted by FlyeBye
The whole pandemic thing has been declared extraordinary circumstance, so no EU/261. My flights during the next 4 weeks, that certainly will not take off are still shown in my app as well. It's even possible to change seats. We have to wait for their cancelation message, though as otherwise, when we cancel instead, there will be no refund, but just a voucher.
EC261/2004 still applies. It's only the provisions of Article 7 (i.e. Compensation) that is invalid. All other stay in force for the time being, including full refund (Article 8) and, so far, duty to care.
At the same time, however, many airline are trying to shirk responsibility, including pressing passengers into vouchers instead of refunding, or refunding well outside the required 7 days.

I guess you'd be able to sue... if there is anything left to sue... eventually.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Olperoo
I've a couple of flights ex-TMP for June. According to AY website TMP-HEL is cancelled till July, flights still showing in the app though.

As TMP-HEL is evidently cancelled, can I file claims for refunds/vouchers now or do I have to wait for the cancellation emails?
My assumption is that you need to wait until it shows as cancelled in the App and MMB.
Olperoo likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:49 am

I have a flight within 14 days that hasn't been cancelled yet - is EU/261 applicable? A general notice "we'll cancel the majority of our flights" is not a cancellation. The app still shows "departure in 13 days" - which I'm 100% won't happen as the destination is not on the list of published destinations that they'll continue flying to.
You wil not receive cash compensation. But if you are at an outstation, they should reroute you home and pay for accommodation when needed. Don't know how well this works in practice right now, though.

(And they should attempt a reroute even if you haven't flown the outbound yet, but my guess is they won't do that.)
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
It'd been an pre-Easter bounce to Central Europe from home, so no duty of care needed from AY's side. I don't even want a reroute, my better half would not even be allowed into the country of destination.

Next on the list - waiting for EZY to cancel the following trip from LON to Greece.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Called AY they confirmed full refund available. However since I booked through Justfly had to call them to cancel. Called and they told me they wouldn’t give me a refund just a travel voucher. I explained the airline said a full refund could be offered, they wouldn’t budge. Hung up on them and called my credit card and initiated a chargeback which should be no issue since I have AY’s email re cancellation and it clearly states a full refund is available. Never book through Justfly, scumbags.
ffay005 and niksal like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Called AY they confirmed full refund available. However since I booked through Justfly had to call them to cancel. Called and they told me they wouldn’t give me a refund just a travel voucher. I explained the airline said a full refund could be offered, they wouldn’t budge. Hung up on them and called my credit card and initiated a chargeback which should be no issue since I have AY’s email re cancellation and it clearly states a full refund is available. Never book through Justfly, scumbags.
Please let us know the outcome of this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005
Please let us know the outcome of this.
AMEX said no problem, and the charge on my card is a direct Finnair charge so i'm not sure what if anything Justfly does, except shady stuff. I don't anticipate problems as I have the AY emails re cancellation and they clearly state I am entitled to a full refund, but i'll update when there's a resolution. I had a similar situation with a TAP flight booked through a 3rd party. TAP cancelled the flight, but it was impossible to get TAP or Priceline on the phone. Did the AMEX chargeback and the dispute has already been resolved with that flight credited. Hope AY gets up and running again soon!
ffay005 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Thanks for informing me. I have a very similar situation but with Ebookers and OP-Visa. I guess the same situation should apply for me, but I am not as far in the process as you are. I will make the chargeback initiation early next week, if Ebookers hasn't refunded the money yet. Seems to be a direct Finnair charge on my card as well, so probably not an issue.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I have a flight within 14 days that
AY must be really reading this - the day after I wrote this they cancelled the flights. Applied for refund as in this situation I have no idea when to rebook it for.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by niksal
Thanks for informing me. I have a very similar situation but with Ebookers and OP-Visa. I guess the same situation should apply for me, but I am not as far in the process as you are. I will make the chargeback initiation early next week, if Ebookers hasn't refunded the money yet. Seems to be a direct Finnair charge on my card as well, so probably not an issue.
Yea, AY were very clear that a full refund was permitted to the payment card and noted it in the PNR. The 3rd party bookers just want to keep everyone's $ so they can use it to pay expenses no doubt and bully people into taking a voucher.
niksal likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Messy situation where I requested a refund for a booking consisting of two persons. Full refund granted due to cancellation of flight, Finnair claims they paid the refund for both passengers however only received half of the money I was supposed to get. They now have to start an internal investigation. Gonna take a looong time, so just asked the chargeback via Mastercard.
niksal likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
Messy situation where I requested a refund for a booking consisting of two persons. Full refund granted due to cancellation of flight, Finnair claims they paid the refund for both passengers however only received half of the money I was supposed to get. They now have to start an internal investigation. Gonna take a looong time, so just asked the chargeback via Mastercard.
My case doesn’t involve me at all. I booked
tickets for my parents. I’m sure that will
bring me trouble.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by niksal
My case doesn’t involve me at all. I booked
tickets for my parents. I’m sure that will
bring me trouble.
Btw, did you notice there will be a rescue flight this Friday from FNC? If only you had known...

I guess if you pay, you can cancel, too, right? At least if you go the chargeback way, it's you and only you who can initiate that.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
The European Commission published on 18 March 2020 interpretative guidelines on how certain provisions of the EU passenger rights legislation, including the regulation EC 261/2004, should be applied in the context of the COVID-19 outbreak and thereby ensure clarity and legal certainty for all those involved.

These interpretative guidelines aim at clarifying how certain provisions of the EU passenger rights legislation apply in the context of the Covid-19 outbreak, notably with respect to cancellations and delays.

The guidelines explicitly clarify that the current circumstances are “extraordinary”, where public authorities either outright prohibit certain flights or ban the movement of persons in a manner that excludes, de facto, the flight in question to be operated. The conditions for the circumstances to be "extraordinary" may also be fulfilled, where the flight cancellation occurs in circumstances where the corresponding movement of persons is not entirely prohibited, but limited to persons benefitting from derogations (for example nationals or residents of the state concerned).

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pres...l/en/IP_20_485

Last edited by zxcv1; Mar 26, 2020 at 8:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.