Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair China travel waivers??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:28 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Maybe China closure is only positive impact
Considering the clientele AY has, on some routes this is actually quite probable.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:33 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by intuition
The timetable hasn't been updated, but booking engine shows AY99/100 is flying
Selfish of me perhaps, but guess I can only wait and hope that I can delay my trip until later, had no plans of traveling to virus-lockdown HKG when those tickets were booked.

Maybe China closure is only positive impact
They did mention in the last annual report that the new strategy was to focus on higher-yielding destinations... Instead of one new Chinese city per year
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
I just cancelled a return leg ending in HKG within the travel waiver window. Seems like they can't advise on the refund amount before cancellation and you will only know the refund amount when you get it. Had some expired upgrade vouchers attached to the booking which they returned to my account immediately and was told that I can use them in the next 3 months after which they will expire so that was a nice goodwill gesture on their part.

Given that most of us are deferring our trips, I wonder if they will consider some limited extension to everyone's qualification window.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:16 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mechu
Given that most of us are deferring our trips, I wonder if they will consider some limited extension to everyone's qualification window.
Somehow I just don't see that happening, not with AY... happy to be proven wrong down the road, however..
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Superrman
The article doesn't mention which HKG flights are cancelled I am on AY099/100 in March, would be nice to know if I can delay that trip or not..
Shouldnt be a problem to postpone:

"Our Hong Kong flights AY099/100 operate normally, but if you have a Finnair ticket issued before 28 January 2020 to or from Hong Kong for travel between 25 January and 31 March 2020 you can, if you so wish:
  • change your travel until 30 June 2020 (latest departure date) or
  • cancel the booking and apply for a refund in Manage booking"
Superrman likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:37 am

Programs: AY LUMO
AY, hello! Put triple tier point campaign on to HKG..
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Somehow I just don't see that happening, not with AY... happy to be proven wrong down the road, however..

they should give the option to tier members to get The TPs instead of cancelling for HKG flights 😂😁 wishful thinking but cpuld be a win win in this case for some if they just cannot travel in time or dont wish to travel now due to the situation in parts of Asia...
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:42 am

I know you’re only joking but that would be even more strange, and also controversial...promoting travel to area which most/many want to avoid now for obvious health risk reasons..
kauppias likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:46 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
they could And perhaps should do a Double/triple TP promo this year as many will have go cancel leisure and or business travel to asia which is a core market for AY IMHO... I would not say to HKG but perhaps pick a market that is NOT selling well or whatever but throwing a bone to the AY+ membership pool might be smart
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
they could And perhaps should do a Double/triple TP promo this year as many will have go cancel leisure and or business travel to asia which is a core market for AY IMHO... I would not say to HKG but perhaps pick a market that is NOT selling well or whatever but throwing a bone to the AY+ membership pool might be smart
In this context, are we sure we do understand that extra points might trick 1-2% (max) where low prices will for sure trick the remaining 98-99% ”minority”. Not necessarily to travel but to choose AY over another carrier.😁

Let’s not forget how small portion us FT nerds really represent for the airline industry.
kauppias likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:58 am

I would go immediately to HKG for triple points.

Coronas come and go but health risks are somewhere else.
Like traffic.
Like cancers.
Like coronary heart disease is fate of every fifth male in Finland.
ffay005 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:04 am

Like traffic.
Like cancers.
I have no doubts about it but that wouldn’t save AY’s quarter, even with 500 others joining you over a period of 2-3 months😁😁

Risks are mainly in the minds of people when it comes to these things, rationale thinking comes way behind...fully agreed.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:08 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)

Like traffic.
Like cancers.
I'm booking the seat next to you
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
I'm booking the seat next to you
Thats ok

But I have noticed that MR hobby is driving close to coronary heart disease with all that drinking and eating. Be aware!
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:13 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Personal health risk is indeed marginal, but part of the rationale for me is that when I am deciding to go for masstourism, my subjective experience will be negatively affected if the destination I'm going to is effectively "on lockdown". Of course, 3X TP might change that, but I don't see it likely at all that AY would directly incentivise travel to """"scary"""" region with such campaigns. PR disaster in the making.
NoWindowSeat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.