Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2022, 12:25 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by martinlu
Moi! I'm a longtime AY flyer but looking to redeem points for the first time for a YYZ-(USA)-HEL-TLL trip. Looking to use points and upgrade vouchers in the most cost-effective way for longhaul J. Some questions:

1. Have I understood correctly that if I see both Y and J award availability in the AY booking search, I can (1) book the flights for Y points (I.e., 45k one-way from North America) and (2) instantly confirm upgrade to J by applying a voucher over the phone?
You can call and do the booking there (1k extra cost) and they can check the upgrade at the same time. You can also book and after the booking you should see in the app the option to upgrade straight for a LH voucher.
2. Can the above be combined with a "Two-for-one Classic award"? This would mean using 4 shorthaul upgrade vouchers to be able to book two USA-HEL Y one-way tickets for 45k points and then (assuming J award availability) instantly upgrading to J with upgrade vouchers.
A "Two-for-one Classic award" is booking two Y returns for the price of one. Combining 4 SH vouchers to a LH voucher is a different thing. It can be done by CS, and they can apply it directly.
3. The points amounts listed in the AY award redemption chart would only cover my USA-HEL-TLL flights, so getting to ORD/JFK/DFW/MIA/LAX on an AY award ticket would mean additional points based on the partner chart (I.e., 27k points one-way for YYZ-USA), right? Since YYZ-USA flights don't seem to appear on AY booking search at all, I should be able to access them by calling AY, correct?
When adding flights on other airlines, you should look at the partner award chart for the whole travel. Otherwise you have 2 tickets.
4. Can the "two-for-one Classic award" be combined onto the same booking with an AA connecting flight?
No, but applying a LH voucher (and hence 4 SH vouchers) to the AY flight can be done.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: AY, AC, OV
Originally Posted by Jainzar
A "Two-for-one Classic award" is booking two Y returns for the price of one. Combining 4 SH vouchers to a LH voucher is a different thing. It can be done by CS, and they can apply it directly.

Thanks! Sorry for the confusion. I’m referring to the 4 SH vouchers here because the AY Plat benefits description says the following:
European Flights*: You’ll get four one-way travel class upgrades, which you can use on any Finnair scheduled flights within Europe. If you wish, you can exchange the upgrades (all four of them) for a one-way intercontinental upgrade or a two-for-the-price-of-one Classic award flights in Economy Class. With this you can purchase award flights for two people from the Finnair Plus service centre but pay the point cost of an award flight for one person. Two-for-one Classic awards are only available for scheduled one-way and return flights operated by Finnair or Norra and must be purchased using points only.
Based on this language, it looks like I can get two one-way USA-HEL Y awards for the price of one as well, not only round trips.

Originally Posted by Jainzar
When adding flights on other airlines, you should look at the partner award chart for the whole travel. Otherwise you have 2 tickets.
Ah, so for, e.g., YYZ-ORD-HEL (AA connector with AY long haul), I would pay the AA partner booking amount for a Europe–North America award (78,000 AY pts one-way in Y)? Quite the additional fee for a connector flight, so might have to think of using cash or AA points for that.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: AY, AC, OV
Two more questions:

1. What other OW carrier booking search engines should show the same or similar award availability for partners as AY has? E.g., should I be able to book the same AA award space I see on BA with AY?

2. Is it possible to string together AY award segments that only show up separately in booking search? E.g., Many dates have both USA-HEL and HEL-TLL available for awards separately, both they won't show up on the same USA-HEL-TLL booking. Is this some IT quirk that can be overcome over the phone or are there married segments involved and adding segments that only show up separately incurrs additional AY points?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:38 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Any experience in booking an oneway award, and at a later point alter that award to a return and pay according to the return points table?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by intuition
Any experience in booking an oneway award, and at a later point alter that award to a return and pay according to the return points table?
Oneway awards are exactly half the price from return awards, so probably you wouldn’t need to make it a return.

Unless you’re referring to something else than AY?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:51 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
True, I was thinking about a partner-award, ie using ay+ points for ow-partners and finnair flights. In those cases, o/w is not 50% of return, in my case it is 60%.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by intuition
you may also just waitlist the return part. Did one such booking today as outbound was not available. Waitlist cleared on 2 hours, thanks to the ”other deparment” or whoever released more space.

(went then to select seats and so far no other seats were taken 😁?😁 despite this flight being IVL during easter
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:30 pm
Moderator, Finnair

A waitlisting would indeed take care of a situation where economy award exists but not business awards. So it is a good tip for that. But I assume waitlisting is only available for a pure AY award? Or can they waitlist on partners too?

Another scenario is where you simply don't have enough points for a return but anticipate to have them in a future.
Yet another scenario is when the return is beyond the schedule, ie T+360 days, so no awards are yet bookable for the return.

It is in these cases I was thinking if it is possible to start with a o/w, and then monitor availability / wait for points to be earned and alter the award to return as soon as possible.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 2:38 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Martinlu was asking earlier in thread about "class 2-4-1 award" and possibility to book oneway trip from US to Europe.

"European flights*You’ll get four one-way travel class upgrades, which you can use on any Finnair scheduled flights within Europe. If you wish, you can exchange the upgrades (all four of them) for a one-way intercontinental upgrade or a two-for-the-price-of-one Classic award flights in Economy Class. With this you can purchase award flights for two people from the Finnair Plus service centre but pay the point cost of an award flight for one person. Two-for-one Classic awards are only available for scheduled one-way and return flights operated by Finnair or Norra and must be purchased using points only."

Does this mean that this 2-4-1 award ticket can be actually used to book round-trip from Europe to US? I have always thought that this 2-4-1 ticket would be only for intra-Europe flights.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Whale

Does this mean that this 2-4-1 award ticket can be actually used to book round-trip from Europe to US? I have always thought that this 2-4-1 ticket would be only for intra-Europe flights.
Yes. Any economy award ticket can be booked 2-4-1 when using your 4 SH vouchers. As long as you find award availability. They will also charge 1000p for the phone service, you can't book 2-4-1 online.
​​​​
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Just booked HEL-ARN economy redemption using BA Avios, seems that the X bucket / Partner award no longer has luggage allowance, is this something new? Does Finnair issued X-ticket still have 1PC?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by temppa
Just booked HEL-ARN economy redemption using BA Avios, seems that the X bucket / Partner award no longer has luggage allowance, is this something new? Does Finnair issued X-ticket still have 1PC?
About ten days ago 1 pc was still included.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by temppa
I flew today HEL-AGP in X. Booked two weeks ago using points from a Silver member. My App showed 2 pc, which should be 1 pc for X class and 1 pc for Plat.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK

For data point, this is what it shows for a Lumo +missus on award.

booking shows ”economy classic” FWIW. So I must be very sustainable and Light then.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:22 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by FFlash
For data point, this is what it shows for a Lumo +missus on award.

booking shows ”economy classic” FWIW. So I must be very sustainable and Light then.
It never ceases to baffle me how you get 2 full size carry ons plus a personal item but only 10kg combined…
Steve_Hun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.