Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 11:31 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS) TK Elite (*G)
A few observations from me, I haven't booked any long haul flights with AY since before covid but I have been burning points for the last couple of months on short hauls, for example TLL-HEL-ARN, TLL-HEL, TLL-HEL-LHR and vice versa. There has been Y and J availibility on all my dates and departures, not once have I had to rethink or change my plans.
I have been making these award bookings from a couple of weeks before departure up until sitting in an uber on my way to the airport , for one HEL-TLL that I was thinking to do by ship but at the last second decided I really do not feel like sitting on a boat for 2 hours.
Also upgrades to J have been availible straight in the app with points or voucher for almost all applicable flights.
At the moment I only have one LHR-HEL waitlisted for voucher upgrade next month.
Also adding that up until today every waitlist I have ever had to do have all cleared well before departure. Hoping that my waitlist luck will continue
Old Mar 24, 2022, 1:20 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Maybe this isn't a new thing, but one needs to stay alert when searching for AY awards.

Business and economy award prices out the same number of points.

But it makes sense. You get 30 minute extra fight time on the second option, so of course you need to pay a bit for for that!
(operated by FinnAtr)
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:33 am

Can "Two-for-one Classic award" be applicable on a multi-city return i.e. xxx-HEL-LHR-MAN-HEL-xxx rather than your normal xxx-HEL-LHR-HEL-xxx?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 4:53 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
So we all know about the Finnair plus rule that awards are not allowed to return same day.
So I was looking to go to LHR over the day and hit something interesting in the search engine.

I can get the same day return as long as I do it as a OW award, ie pay 75k instead of 30k. Now the engine happily combines BA with AY flights. But the points price for that BA flight is interesting. Out of the 75k, make sure most of it stays with Finnair!

So if it had been a Finnair award, Finnair would have charged 15k points and low taxes each way. Now, since it is a oneworld award, let's rob BA of as much money as we can. They only get 12k points while 62k points goes to Finnair.
Neat!
Old Apr 5, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Why not book two oneways? That's what I did when I went to CPH last month. 7500 p one way and two separate bookings.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:09 am
Moderator, Finnair

If only I could get that 12k J award on the BA flight...

Oneway is 15k each way for me in AY Y. AY J is 25 and Ba J whopping 45k.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
No more Lumo sweeties wtr cancels, earlier I have got everything back as courtesy but now taxes and fees collected.

Seems like AY is tapping all remaining courtesies etc, which is fair okay I understand, but I wish they put higher effort in fixing all hickups and errors
Old Apr 13, 2022, 5:37 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
I have never had an award cancellation with waved fee as a Lumo. Only changes have been free.
esledo likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 4:04 am

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
Waitlisted yesterday around lunchtime on J award HEL-SIN-HEL. 24h later confirmed.
I was actually suprised how fast it went through.
r2d2, ffay005, SPBanker and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Jorma
Waitlisted yesterday around lunchtime on J award HEL-SIN-HEL. 24h later confirmed.
I was actually suprised how fast it went through.
When are you flying?
Old Apr 14, 2022, 4:27 am

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
23rd May - 7th June, continuing to Indonesia for dive trip from SIN.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: Everyone!
Anyone use ExpertFlyer here? I never have and signed up a trial today mainly because I want to monitor for availability of a single AY award ticket opening up....and of course they have an error saying their "data provider is having issues". I have no idea how long they have been having that problem and wonder if anyone has a service that will generate alerts when award fare buckets get filled?
Old Apr 23, 2022, 12:54 pm

They sure are having issues. Their CS does not see the same availability as their website provides. Horrendous IT.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by PGHflyer
Anyone use ExpertFlyer here? I never have and signed up a trial today mainly because I want to monitor for availability of a single AY award ticket opening up....and of course they have an error saying their "data provider is having issues". I have no idea how long they have been having that problem and wonder if anyone has a service that will generate alerts when award fare buckets get filled?
I was able to pull normal availability and seat data this week for an imminent flight.
PGHflyer likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:32 am

Data point from today:

Some time ago, I made a Euro award booking online. The dates I wanted were not available, so I picked dates close to the ones I wanted, and then asked Janica to waitlist my preferred dates. Not trusting the process, I have been monitoring the dates ever since, and today, there was availability on my homebound leg. But the waitlist had not cleared. I sent WA to Janica asking her to grab that seat for me, which she did.

Do not trust the waitlist.
r2d2, cistavoda and Steve_Hun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.