Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK

Every time the same problem, where to post my issue related to awards? The current threads are so well dispersed that I make an attempt to consolidate hopefully the different topics into here.

Starting with something new again. They have recently introduced, or at least today was the first for me, a new system for waitlisted awards. I requested an award yesterday for a flight that was not available online, insisted today for looking at situation if it could clear and yes it did in a short time. What was new is that when they clear the waitlisted award, they send a link for paying the fees&surcharges by email, which is very handy so that you don't need to send or tell your credit card info by phone and moreover you get to know that now your flight has cleared finally. The downside can be that the link is only 5 hours active, so that if you don't check your email during that time, I don't know if you lose your ticketing or what.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by FFlash
The downside can be that the link is only 5 hours active, so that if you don't check your email during that time.
That means you got 1 hour extra time. I had 4 hours last month.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The payment link thing is not new and not reward related, but nice. I did revenue bookings with the online chat and it went the same way - and yes, the 5 hrs validity is too short IMO. Once I nearly "overslept" the validity, as it was late evening when I booked.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for the waitlist - I have noticed, that there are more flights with no online availability than before. A quick email usually takes care of it very quickly - since Lumo, I think I have 100% succes rate, even when I'm not in the booking, but my points/vouchers are used for booking/upgrade.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Sorry Wilco to say, but your data points do not count since they will do whatever for a Lumo
Ed Size likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry Wilco to say, but your data points do not count since they will do whatever for a Lumo
Wish it was true. See discussion about LH ->> 4xSH voucher conversion. Otherwise yes, life's good for Lumo when on AY.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Every time the same problem, where to post my issue related to awards? The current threads are so well dispersed that I make an attempt to consolidate hopefully the different topics into here.

Starting with something new again. They have recently introduced, or at least today was the first for me, a new system for waitlisted awards. I requested an award yesterday for a flight that was not available online, insisted today for looking at situation if it could clear and yes it did in a short time. What was new is that when they clear the waitlisted award, they send a link for paying the fees&surcharges by email, which is very handy so that you don't need to send or tell your credit card info by phone and moreover you get to know that now your flight has cleared finally. The downside can be that the link is only 5 hours active, so that if you don't check your email during that time, I don't know if you lose your ticketing or what.
You can also get the link to your mobile, very handy.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:52 pm
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Waitlisted award r/t to KTT today, some observations that were new to me:
1) award availability online for same dates was different when logged in as AY Basic compared to Plat. Basic had 5 flights to choose from, Plat had 8.
2) Ticket for lap infant cost 0€ together with award ticket. With paid ticket it cost 16.50€.
3) Good value IMO, 15000p + 32€ instead of 267€. Not flying myself, so no tier points lost either.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:32 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by HJP
[left]Waitlisted award r/t to KTT today, some observations that were new to me:
1) award availability online for same dates was different when logged in as AY Basic compared to Plat. Basic had 5 flights to choose from, Plat had 8.
Very interesting observation.
I guess most people don't do searches with multiple profiles, but it would be interesting to hear if this is widespread.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Good for elites if better availability but again not good if a hidden perk
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:23 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I can see some pros and cons with such a system. At first sight it looks advantageous to elites, but is it in the long run?

Let's say there are seats available on a route, and they only show them to elites. But no elite is interested in redeeming. A platinum basic wants to redeem but he cannot because seat is hidden. Seat is left empty on the flight and member still has all his points to burn.
If this happens frequently then lower tier members are accumulating points and has few options to redeem.

Similar case:
Some routes have high revenue demand and only few seats are released. With 1 seat avilable and a staggered access to seats, platinum basic will probably see 0 seats on that flight. So unless you are content on redeeming on DEL you may lose out.

It all depends if they release extra seats for higher tiers or if they just limit the current availability.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I've seen something similar. BA Gold saw more than AY lifetime Basic. I didn't save those data points, but would be nice to reflect now.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:40 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Here is an example.

Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by HJP
Here is an example.
Seems to be a hidden perk for Plats. As a Gold I can see only the flights in your second screenshot.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Finnair

I can replicate this on CPH-HEL, so it is not only domestic flights. There is a difference in what flights are available for a Plat and a basic.

However, for those flights that are available to both, the same number of seats (8!) are open to both a basic and a plat. This is me after only one try, but that strike me as odd. It seems they are not controlling number of seats per tier but only a binary choice if a flight is redeemable or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.