Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by cistavoda
It is indeed a plat perk (undocumented afaik).
plat only? IIRC award changes are free for everyone, only cancellation incurs a charge
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by FFlash

plat only? IIRC award changes are free for everyone, only cancellation incurs a charge
Booking online, the X fare rules display a change rule of 50€ / not allowed. Agent on the line also made it clear it was Plats and Lumo only. But I wouldn't know!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by SuloL
Booking online, the X fare rules display a change rule of 50€ / not allowed. Agent on the line also made it clear it was Plats and Lumo only. But I wouldn't know!
good to know. I thought it has been always free or then I have been plat too long and tweaking my memory on that.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
So I (as Plat) could book an award online now, and then call AY to waitlist a better return flight. If it clears, they'll re-ticket at no extra charge?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005
So I (as Plat) could book an award online now, and then call AY to waitlist a better return flight. If it clears, they'll re-ticket at no extra charge?
I was told that over the phone earlier this year, as that was my plan too. However, went with the original flights and didn't test it in practice. Previously when changing awards, I've had agents who have not been aware of this change fee waiver, hence I'd minimize the cost by cancelling and rebooking (only forfeiting the tax amount, below <50€).
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:33 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
General fare rules for award says change of date is free of charge, so if they can handle the waitlist as a change then it is clearly so, and not just for plat.

A long time (many years) ago I was told they would waive some fees for me as plat (probably the cancel fee), they didn't say anything last time I booked an award. Also, IIRC, they charged some fee upon cancellation around 2 years ago. Looking at rules, it seems to be a minor fee, I have SEK50 as cancellation fee on a recently booked award.

GENERAL INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TA BEHOVLIGA RESEDOKUMENT MED PA RESAN.
FLYGRESORNA SKALL ANVANDAS I ANGIVEN ORDNING.
OM UTRESAN INTE ANVANDS, ANNULLERAS RETUREN AUTOMATISKT.
16000 POANG HAR DEBITERATS.
ANDRINGAR AV RESEDATUMEN UTAN KOSTNAD.
ANNULERINGSKOSTNADEN AR SEK 50.
INCHECKNING KAN GORAS PA WWW.FINNAIR.COM ELLER VID
AUTOMAT PA DE FLESTA FLYGPLATSER.
POANGEN RETURNERAS, OM RESAN AVBOKAS SENAST DAGEN INNAN AVRESA.
VID AVBOKNING DEBITERAS EN AVBOKNINGSAVGIFT.
INFORMATION OM TIDTABELLER, FLYGPLANSTYPER OCH
SITTPLATSER KAN INTE GARANTERAS.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by intuition
General fare rules for award says change of date is free of charge, so if they can handle the waitlist as a change then it is clearly so, and not just for plat.

A long time (many years) ago I was told they would waive some fees for me as plat (probably the cancel fee), they didn't say anything last time I booked an award. Also, IIRC, they charged some fee upon cancellation around 2 years ago. Looking at rules, it seems to be a minor fee, I have SEK50 as cancellation fee on a recently booked award.
I've been told only Gold / Platinum / Lumo gets free change. No waiver of cancellation fee for any status level.
SEK50 seems like somebody forgot a 0 as it's EUR50 normally.
intuition likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
yes, done this a few times (as Plat)
ffay005 and Jainzar like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:15 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by on22cz
I've been told only Gold / Platinum / Lumo gets free change. No waiver of cancellation fee for any status level.
SEK50 seems like somebody forgot a 0 as it's EUR50 normally.
They may very well be the case. But for those tiers the suggested "waitlist for a better departure" should have support in the rules (i.e. not just be a perk dependent on who you speak to)

As for the cancellation fee I was surprised too. On revenue ticket I clearly remember a ≈50€ service fee on refunds.
Worst case, this fee may be on top of a refund fee, ie to cancel you need to pay SEK50 regardless of if there is anything to refund.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:25 am

Just waitlisted a change of redemption flight (initially X, upgraded to U with plat voucher) and departure date on the HKG route earlier today, Plat line mentioned that change is free and was able to waitlist only for U (wouldn't have accepted the change if meant going back to X). Waitlist also cleared in 3 hours, which made me really happy!
ffay005 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
I just booked an award for +1 for the long weekend around Itsenäisyyspäivä. I needed to sacrifice my points, since +1 did not have the option on the website for the return flight.

Nice to have the possibility as Plat.
FFlash likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:14 am
Moderator, Finnair

Re-visiting the cancellation fees on awards.
Up-thread we've talked about the fee not being waived for any tiers. But does anyone have recent experience on how they apply the fee?

I have an award with cancellation *) fee 50€ and where taxes and fees paid was 22€. Does the fee mean they will not refund taxes&fees unless above 50€ or is it a fee to be paid upfront? I.e will I lose the 22€ or more?

*) The actual fee is called "Cost of annulment" in my travel document, which to me sounds like something to be paid in order to cancel the ticket. But that's my over-interpretation of the wording.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by intuition
Re-visiting the cancellation fees on awards.
Up-thread we've talked about the fee not being waived for any tiers. But does anyone have recent experience on how they apply the fee?

I have an award with cancellation *) fee 50€ and where taxes and fees paid was 22€. Does the fee mean they will not refund taxes&fees unless above 50€ or is it a fee to be paid upfront? I.e will I lose the 22€ or more?

*) The actual fee is called "Cost of annulment" in my travel document, which to me sounds like something to be paid in order to cancel the ticket. But that's my over-interpretation of the wording.
By what I was told, it is up to the value of 50€ (so in your case, you just lose the taxes worth 22€). You should also be able to switch to another award with being charged the new amount of taxes and refunded the old (not sure was it just Lumo benefit, or a general possibility to avoid the cancellation fee).

It is also possible that above mentioned only applies to pure AY awards (i.e., no partner / RTW redemptions), as any change waivers based on status are restricted to those.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:36 am

I paid 38€ in taxes and fees not long ago. I had to cancel, so it costed me 76€. Two tickets x38€ and cancellation fee 50€ for each ticket so not a penny refunded.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by on22cz
By what I was told, it is up to the value of 50€ (so in your case, you just lose the taxes worth 22€). You should also be able to switch to another award with being charged the new amount of taxes and refunded the old (not sure was it just Lumo benefit, or a general possibility to avoid the cancellation fee).

It is also possible that above mentioned only applies to pure AY awards (i.e., no partner / RTW redemptions), as any change waivers based on status are restricted to those.
As a Plat, I have been able to change partner awards without a fee. The only thing perhaps to be aware of is that in my experience, AY will refund the old taxes and charge the new taxes, and it usually takes a while (i.e., several weeks) for the refund to come through. Given that taxes and fees on partner awards can be in the several hundred euros range, just be aware that a lot of changes in a short period of time can tie up a lot of credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.