Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
You probably need to research a bit regarding the bouncing. Your are likely limited to only visit each city once. And there is likely a segment limit too (perhaps 16).
loimu likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by loimu
Ok, thanks intuition ! So basically you could take e.g. a JL flight from HEL, bounce back and forth within Asia and eventually return back to HEL from any Asian OW destination?
”back to HEL” not possible as return. Has to be eastbound all the way i.e. via north/south america.
”bouncing” allowed only within one continent.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:21 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I have booked HEL-HKG-HEL (with some minor Europe bouncing) so back to HEL is absolutely possible.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
I have booked HEL-HKG-HEL (with some minor Europe bouncing) so back to HEL is absolutely possible.
Thanks for data point! So HKG and HEL are same continent. What is Japan also is???
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by FFlash
”back to HEL” not possible as return. Has to be eastbound all the way i.e. via north/south america.
”bouncing” allowed only within one continent.
I was caught on the same thing, until proven wrong. The east-/westbound routing applies one-way, therefore, your return doesn't need to follow the direction. It also means the rule about visiting the same city uses the same logic.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:49 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by FFlash
Thanks for data point! So HKG and HEL are same continent. What is Japan also is???
???

IME you are allowed to book ordinary "return tickets". It has nothing to do with RTW rules.
My interpretation is that IF you start doing a RTW itinerary then you cannot backtrack to a continent you've left.
But I'm no expert, better check with AY!
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Okay, I trust that.
Thats why FT knows always better! This is a useful redemption then. Just the compiling of tix is burdensome
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Just an additional data point: a HEL-SCL-HEL oneworld award redemption (AY/IB/LA) worked with no problems whatsoever.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:02 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Looks like Finnair released loads of reward seats today, at least for Europe. I was looking to book last night for some weekends in June/July. Today there was availability for all the weekends I was interested in.
ffay005, esledo and kauppias like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:58 am
Moderator, Finnair

Official announcement to this regard:
Furthermore, to ease the way for travelling, we're making an additional 500,000 seats available for award travel to make it even easier to redeem Finnair Plus points for travel throughout the Finnair network.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:38 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
The confusing distance-based "oneworld award" will be discontinued from 31MAY.
THIS REDEMPTION WILL BE VALID UNTIL 31 MAY 2020 (AFTER WHAT IT WILL BE TERMINATED).

DISTANCE-BASED ONEWORLD REDEMPTION TABLE

From https://www.finnair.com/gb/gb/finnai...rtner-airlines
esledo and FFlash like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:04 am
Moderator, Finnair

WHAT?!
So there will no longer be a way to redeem on oneworld itineraries, only on specific airlines separately? If so, that is a terrible move.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
I'd give them credit for at least silently posting the notification on the website. Some would have informed on 1 June that it has been discontinued. However, still quite poor communication to not inform members via email.
They had one of the best rates in oneworld, so some devaluation could have been expected (although not appreciated). Terminating it completely seems more like it was more confusing for them than for customers. Especially considering the outrageous rates for single-airline redemptions.

Time to make one last booking. RIP.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:28 am
Original Poster

I wonder if discontinued because of corona ot some abuse of creative routings.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:56 am
Moderator, Finnair

Or just a massive devaluation of oneworld as an alliance, perhaps caused by greed from the alliance members?
(I don't see Finnair unilaterally removing this award-form. My guess is that the other members will announce this change too as time goes by)

Last edited by intuition; Apr 14, 2020 at 9:10 am Reason: Line of thought

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.