Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2022, 7:03 am

Hey all, I just booked a flight through CS and was charged 500 points to book through them. I was under the impression that if the flight is not bookable on their website, they would waive this fee. However, they said my request to have this fee waived was denied and that all booking through CS are charged this fee even if not bookable online. This doesn't sound very fair to me, does anyone else have any experience with this?
Thanks!
esledo likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by itsjackson
Hey all, I just booked a flight through CS and was charged 500 points to book through them. I was under the impression that if the flight is not bookable on their website, they would waive this fee. However, they said my request to have this fee waived was denied and that all booking through CS are charged this fee even if not bookable online. This doesn't sound very fair to me, does anyone else have any experience with this?
Thanks!
Booked award flights recently to my 9-year-old and they charged 31k points even though you cannot book this online without booking for adult at the same time. They didn’t agree to waive the 1k extra charge.
esledo and itsjackson like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 5:15 am

Programs: AY
Thanks!
Booked 2 of 1 price awards tix which also not available by online booking, and got charged 1k points of that, got told it wasn't waived. How did you do with only charged with 500 extra? 😂
itsjackson likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 11:54 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by sakari1707
Any tips how to book J award to TYO without hefty cost? Trying spring. AY availability zero, there are some availability with JL, but taxes and fees are over 800euro (!).
Or is this just one of the common mission impossible cases. And is it so, that if you want any other OW carrier than AY, you mostly need to call in?
I don't think TYO is the only problem. I scanned ANY Asian city for ANY date in second half of 2023 by having complete flexibility, and there are no J awards anywhere, any time I am talking about AY metal only because others cost a lot more points, for example JL so I am ruling it out.

If someone finds something with AY please let me know I am all ears and would be very pleased to be proven wrong in this case
Ed Size likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 4:39 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by escape4
...I scanned ANY Asian city for ANY date in second half of 2023 by having complete flexibility, and there are no J awards anywhere, any time I am talking about AY metal only because others cost a lot more points, for example JL so I am ruling it out.
I have the same experience.
My personal take is that Finnair no longer publish any awardseat availability on longhaul, period.
There has been no official communication about this, it seems they want all awards and upgrades to go through their new waitlist process. Ie having flexibility is worth nothing, you need to set a date and then get on a waitlist and hope it clears.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by intuition
I have the same experience.
My personal take is that Finnair no longer publish any awardseat availability on longhaul, period.
There has been no official communication about this, it seems they want all awards and upgrades to go through their new waitlist process. Ie having flexibility is worth nothing, you need to set a date and then get on a waitlist and hope it clears.
For people who book in advance and want certainty they will be flying J rather than roll the dice on a last minute upgrade, that feature alone makes AY points less valuable than miles at any other airline program.
intuition likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
For people who book in advance and want certainty they will be flying J rather than roll the dice on a last minute upgrade, that feature alone makes AY points less valuable than miles at any other airline program.
This really depends on the point of view - anyone who wants instant confirmation without a chance to waitlist should move over to BAEC instead.
esledo likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
This really depends on the point of view - anyone who wants instant confirmation without a chance to waitlist should move over to BAEC instead.
Sure. Except that BA is so terrible that even a mere 4 BA flights for elite qualification is too much for me to handle But yes for booking J straight up I would rather have Avios than Finnair points, if we are not speaking of reach elite status.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:32 am

Can AY search engine show F-awards for partners that fly such cabin?
I know those are extremly hard to find but even if they existed is AY search engine able to show them?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Isn t this the case with all people flying J only? Aren t they the most valuable customers to airlines?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by seldomrfly
Can AY search engine show F-awards for partners that fly such cabin?
I know those are extremly hard to find but even if they existed is AY search engine able to show them?
No.
For example on 15th of Feb there is first class award availability on CX252 LHR-HKG, but AY award search is only able to show economy as available.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size
Isn t this the case with all people flying J only? Aren t they the most valuable customers to airlines?
Some people book J last minute (less than 2 weeks) so for those people the lack of J availability months in advance won't be a concern.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 6:22 am

I'm now looking to change my award flight to LHR from HKG and move it a week earlier to leave on 23/11 instead.😅 My upgrade with vouchers went through straight away for the original booking which showed 4 available upgrades.
The new date doesn't show any immediate upgrades to business, I'm happy to fly out from either SIN or HKG, I know flights from SIN are with the new business cabin, but I'm thinking due to the COVID rules in HKG, there might be a higher chance of a waitlisted upgrade clearing in HKG.
What would be the best option here if I wanted to maximize my chances of an upgrade clearing?
Would anyone be able to check the U availability for these flights?
Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2022, 6:32 am

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
Would anyone be able to check the U availability for these flights?
Thanks!
SIN-HEL

HKG-HEL

I would say HKG has better chance, by a wide margin.
itsjackson likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Jorma
SIN-HEL

HKG-HEL

I would say HKG has better chance, by a wide margin.
Thanks for checking! Yeah, I might try my luck with HKG and just brave the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.