Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair/AY award/redemption booking/ticket thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, ASMP MVP
Originally Posted by fredeow
Is it really the case that there are never two USA-HEL J award tickets on the same flight? Have searched from DFW, ORD, LAX, JFK for most weeks in the summer and there is only ever one ticket max. Is it worth it to book one J award ticket and hope I get the other seat upgraded with a voucher?

Also, why is it the case that there are 2 J tickets on HEL-JFK-HEL but no J tickets when originating in the US. Is it possible to call CS to book the JFK-HEL-JFK route? Or is this routing not available.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Is it really the case that there are never two USA-HEL J award tickets on the same flight? Have searched from DFW, ORD, LAX, JFK for most weeks in the summer and there is only ever one ticket max. Is it worth it to book one J award ticket and hope I get the other seat upgraded with a voucher?
I have two one ways booked in spring, did first in Econ with points then used long haul and short haul upgrades LAX-HEL-FRA. And then return same routing in reverse using points. 11 months out.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I have two one ways booked in spring, did first in Econ with points then used long haul and short haul upgrades LAX-HEL-FRA. And then return same routing in reverse using points. 11 months out.
How long did the upgrades take to clear? Did it show upgrade availability or was it waitlist? Also, are you Plat or Lumo?
Old Dec 25, 2022, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
How long did the upgrades take to clear? Did it show upgrade availability or was it waitlist? Also, are you Plat or Lumo?
plat, upgraded at time of booking.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: AY Plat, Swiss SEN, Hertz Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by dennyzrh
when you book an Award in Premium Economy, do you have 1x23kg as the Website mention or 2x23kg as you go with a cash-Ticket?
you only get 1x 23kg when you go with a Premium Economy Award…. very disappointing
Old Dec 30, 2022, 8:38 am

I've put a first time award waitlist in for a few separate times with rather full flights, hoping that something would clear.

I put the award waitlists in via Platinum whatsapp CS, should the waitlisted flights show somewhere in my bookings / finnair app or is it just wait and see + havign to remember myself what dates I've waitlisted for?
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by diaz
I've put a first time award waitlist in for a few separate times with rather full flights, hoping that something would clear.

I put the award waitlists in via Platinum whatsapp CS, should the waitlisted flights show somewhere in my bookings / finnair app or is it just wait and see + havign to remember myself what dates I've waitlisted for?
You should've received an email with confirmation of your ''booking'' with the flights listed as waitlisted. If you don't have that, ask CS for the PNR of the booking.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
Originally Posted by diaz
The app shows that you’re on waitlist.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by denkigroove
The app shows that you’re on waitlist.
Only if you are confirmed in Y and are waitlisting to a higher cabin.

If the whole booking is a waitlisted one without any confirmed segments, it will not show up on the app or on the website. However, the reservation does have a booking reference and it can be obtained from CS, after which you can use the booking reference to pull the booking up on AY.com.

Note that the booking may look strange and a regular award booking in Y might have the text "Your upgrade is waitlisted" even if that is not true.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:24 pm

So it seems like award tickets only show as confirmed when using 80k points per seat? I am able to find multiple dates with 2 J award tickets from US cities-HEL (award availability as Plat is actually pretty good), but I would like to use upgrade vouchers. When I look at days when multiple J award seats are available, the upgrade tool says waitlist. Is this the type of waitlist that usually clears instantly?
Old Jan 1, 2023, 2:28 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
So it seems like award tickets only show as confirmed when using 80k points per seat? I am able to find multiple dates with 2 J award tickets from US cities-HEL (award availability as Plat is actually pretty good), but I would like to use upgrade vouchers. When I look at days when multiple J award seats are available, the upgrade tool says waitlist....
In theory, if there are 2 seats available as award, there should be 2 seats available as upgrades too. In practice, Finnair may have added some new limitation we don't know about or the booking system might be faulty.
If you don't want to gamble, you need to ask CS to check and process the upgrades.

... Is this the type of waitlist that usually clears instantly?
In general, waitlists never clears immediately.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 6:46 am

If you are looking for something specific the time may has come.
I was able to (randomly) find award spaces to Asia (HND, BKK, HKG, SIN) with rather good availability.
When I checked I primarily was looking for fall 2023 already, but I had no problems finding awards (and upgrade availability by using vouchers) for earlier dates in the year.
AxelJF likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: AY, Accor, Hilton - Gold
So it seems like award tickets only show as confirmed when using 80k points per seat? I am able to find multiple dates with 2 J award tickets from US cities-HEL (award availability as Plat is actually pretty good), but I would like to use upgrade vouchers. When I look at days when multiple J award seats are available, the upgrade tool says waitlist. Is this the type of waitlist that usually clears instantly?
Has the same issue and just went for it and it cleared instantly.

Award space seems to be better nowadays.
Got 2 to HND.

I'm only missing seoul
Old Jan 4, 2023, 10:25 pm

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by martinlu
Two more questions:

1. What other OW carrier booking search engines should show the same or similar award availability for partners as AY has? E.g., should I be able to book the same AA award space I see on BA with AY?

2. Is it possible to string together AY award segments that only show up separately in booking search? E.g., Many dates have both USA-HEL and HEL-TLL available for awards separately, both they won't show up on the same USA-HEL-TLL booking. Is this some IT quirk that can be overcome over the phone or are there married segments involved and adding segments that only show up separately incurrs additional AY points?

An update to Q.2 above, I've also noted there is possibly an IT glitch with the award booking system when trying to get TLL as the start / end destination as it's happened to me at least twice.

For example, a recent 2=1 award booking BKK-HEL-TLL showed zero award availability on my dates, but when searching award availability BKK-HEL and seperately HEL-TLL on the same dates showed availability. So after a chat with Plat WA the tickets were issued within a few hours.

So advice for those looking for award space it may be useful to search seperately for married segments when using HEL as a point of transit.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 11:38 pm
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by beachboy1966
An update to Q.2 above, I've also noted there is possibly an IT glitch with the award booking system when trying to get TLL as the start / end destination as it's happened to me at least twice.

For example, a recent 2=1 award booking BKK-HEL-TLL showed zero award availability on my dates, but when searching award availability BKK-HEL and seperately HEL-TLL on the same dates showed availability. So after a chat with Plat WA the tickets were issued within a few hours.

So advice for those looking for award space it may be useful to search seperately for married segments when using HEL as a point of transit.
Yup, happened to me once because only J was available for the international leg but domestic leg doesn't have J, so nothing returned when searched as a whole. But, they came up individually, so contacted CS and they booked it for me
MDWCommuter likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.