Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by intuition
"what is the problem, he'll gets his vouchers/points back"
I'd point at Article 10 of EU Regulation 261/2004:
2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse

(c) 75 % of the price of the ticket for all flights not falling under (a) or (b), including flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments.
75% of the price of the ticket may be more than the value of the points/voucher.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
IME AY only allows you standby change if the next flight is full and I have succeeded this only at ARN.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by Chokkoubin
Update: I asked at the airport and the *extremely* unhelpful airpro contract staff acted like I was asking for some insane thing that doesn’t exist.

Contrast with the AY contract ground staff staff at ARN whose response to being asked if I could standby for an earlier flight was ‘Of course, here’s your new boarding pass.’

🤷.♂️
Originally Posted by ffay005
Interesting. While I don't have experience from RVN, my experience at ARN has been very similar with yours at RVN. In general, the contract staff at ARN seem one of the most unfriendly and incompetent out there.
Originally Posted by FFlash
IME AY only allows you standby change if the next flight is full and I have succeeded this only at ARN.
Interestingly, I had once succeeded at ARN as a lowly AY Gold. It was clearly a nice gesture of the check in agent as I haven't succeeded there nor elsewhere as of that time. Contract staff usually sends you to / calls ticket office, where another contract agent denies.
It doesn't even work with Lumo on some predictable basis. Few times they had made a change, but usually they either deny, or try to squeeze you as a fresh orange. And you are totally out of luck if you are on a business trip.

To defend the ARN staff, they have usually been of the better ones I have encountered. Thinking of OSL, CPH, PRG, TLL, AMS, NRT to list just few I remember, ARN has always left better impression.
In general, I am happy if I don't have to deal with contract staff more than necessary as their knowledge and approach are just disappointing.

Originally Posted by Some person
I'd point at Article 10 of EU Regulation 261/2004:75% of the price of the ticket may be more than the value of the points/voucher.
It's worth noting here that the compensation only applies to the flight that has been downgraded, not for the whole ticket. This may cause a significant change to the calculation of worthiness.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Some person
I'd point at Article 10 of EU Regulation 261/2004:75% of the price of the ticket may be more than the value of the points/voucher.
If the ticket was purchased in Y, so what? I say that by design upgrading always happens after a ticket was purchased. Therefore your claim is invalid.

So far, nobody seems to have (successfully) challenged this view.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: LuxExpress VIP
The local travel agency (https://www.estravel.ee/pakkumine/mi...-reisil-al-569) currently has an offer for AA, AY and BA flights from TLL to the US East Coast,
3 stops (one must be in NY) starting from 699€... is there anywhere where I could find the fare rules?
Old May 9, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Hi guys,

I only have 110K tier points and 110K award points.

Can I buy an additional 10K award points with € and then exchange my new total of 120K award points for 40K tier points?

Is that allowed? or does the 120K award points need to be from flying/hotels/etc?

This is to retain my plat status. Thanks!
Old May 9, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by supatight80
Hi guys,

I only have 110K tier points and 110K award points.

Can I buy an additional 10K award points with € and then exchange my new total of 120K award points for 40K tier points?

Is that allowed? or does the 120K award points need to be from flying/hotels/etc?

This is to retain my plat status. Thanks!
AY+ only cares about that you have enough award points. Not their source.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by on22cz
It's worth noting here that the compensation only applies to the flight that has been downgraded, not for the whole ticket. This may cause a significant change to the calculation of worthiness.
Yeah, but I'd imagine that 75% of the points/voucher plus 75% of an economy ticket usually is better than just the points/voucher. Of course, if the cash ticket was cheap, then it makes sense to ask to get the points/voucher back.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AY, BA, TK
First of all big thanks to this forum and its members which have repeatedly helped me get the most (= Gold) out of my few long haul flights to Asia which I have to do for my work. For what I invested I'm quite pleased with Finnair so hopefully It can stay this way.

This time I wanted to find a flight to the US of A (New York, Los Angeles, Miami, whatever....) which would at least get some points into my account. For example to New York from Frankfurt I can find some interesting flights. To New York it would be IBERIA with AY flight number over Madrid and back Finnair over Helsinki. I am not able to get a grip what kind of points to expect from something like this. Also is the "light/standard/premium economy saver/......" thing important for points or not? Everything booked over the Finnair website.

Any help would be appreciated. Of course I'm most interested in how to calculate it myself in the future for other trips. Better to understand the system (if there is one......) then to ask every time
cistavoda likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:26 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
If the ticket has AY flight number, you will earn points as it were AY's own metal.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by barbarossi
First of all big thanks to this forum and its members which have repeatedly helped me get the most (= Gold) out of my few long haul flights to Asia which I have to do for my work. For what I invested I'm quite pleased with Finnair so hopefully It can stay this way.

This time I wanted to find a flight to the US of A (New York, Los Angeles, Miami, whatever....) which would at least get some points into my account. For example to New York from Frankfurt I can find some interesting flights. To New York it would be IBERIA with AY flight number over Madrid and back Finnair over Helsinki. I am not able to get a grip what kind of points to expect from something like this. Also is the "light/standard/premium economy saver/......" thing important for points or not? Everything booked over the Finnair website.

Any help would be appreciated. Of course I'm most interested in how to calculate it myself in the future for other trips. Better to understand the system (if there is one......) then to ask every time
As I recently discovered myself, AY-coded flights to the US do not follow the normal LIGHT, VALUE, PRO distinction (for economy) when it comes to mileage earning. Instead, the mileage accrual is based on the booking class.
Y, B, H --> 150%
K, M, P, T --> 100%
V, L, N, S, Q, O, Z, R --> 50%
A, W, G --> 25%
SPBanker likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: AY, BA, TK
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
As I recently discovered myself, AY-coded flights to the US do not follow the normal LIGHT, VALUE, PRO distinction (for economy) when it comes to mileage earning. Instead, the mileage accrual is based on the booking class.
Y, B, H --> 150%
K, M, P, T --> 100%
V, L, N, S, Q, O, Z, R --> 50%
A, W, G --> 25%
Thanks, that makes sense.... So if I try to avoid the A, W, G booking classes and the ticket is cheap (which it is...) then half the points is not bad.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:09 am

Yes, and it should be easy to avoid those. IIRC, A is used by Aurinkomatkat and other tour operators, G would be for group bookings (I'd assume if you request it - to differentiate from tour operators), W is not used on US flights (or at least I have never seen it for the cheapest tickets; isn't it even withdrawn now to be used for upcoming Premium Economy?).
Old May 13, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
BKK Midnight departure check-in time

Any idea what time do the AY check-in counters open in BKK before AY144 (11:25pm departure)?
Old May 13, 2019, 7:35 am

@SuloL, it used to be 4 hours before departure (mid 2018 data point).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.