Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2024, 5:41 am

there is currently a status match by finnair to those with eurobonus silver/gold.
I m currently ay gold (ows) already but expiring in a couple months, would this status match still work to renew my status??
does ay have a once in a lifetime restriction on status matches?
Old May 6, 2024, 6:28 am

Programs: AY Plat, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
I had my first flight after having fallen back to Platinum, so the Stream wi-fi for the whole flight was no longer available, and I had to use the Messaging one. Is it supposed to work like Stream except slower, or does it literally mean it when it says it's for messaging apps like WhatsApp? E-mail didn't work, neither did web surfing, or messaging apps not on that list. Are those supposed to work in the Messaging package, or is it really only WhatsApp and the few other listed apps that are supported, with everything else being blocked?
Old May 6, 2024, 7:31 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
I had my first flight after having fallen back to Platinum, so the Stream wi-fi for the whole flight was no longer available, and I had to use the Messaging one. Is it supposed to work like Stream except slower, or does it literally mean it when it says it's for messaging apps like WhatsApp? E-mail didn't work, neither did web surfing, or messaging apps not on that list. Are those supposed to work in the Messaging package, or is it really only WhatsApp and the few other listed apps that are supported, with everything else being blocked?
To my understanding, the free messaging access is meant to only allow a few specific message-apps. So it is not about bandwith, it is about usage.
ffay005 and SPBanker like this.
Old May 6, 2024, 9:22 pm

Noob question: I am trying to book a HEL -> DUB Finnair flight using AA's loyalty program (AAdvantage). AA's site doesn't mention whether baggage is included in my ticket.

Does anyone know if carry-on and 1 checked bag is included? The booking code is "X", Economy.

Old May 6, 2024, 10:31 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by 01jayss
Noob question: I am trying to book a HEL -> DUB Finnair flight using AA's loyalty program (AAdvantage). AA's site doesn't mention whether baggage is included in my ticket.

Does anyone know if carry-on and 1 checked bag is included? The booking code is "X", Economy.
Award tickets include a checked bag and carry-on allowance. There is no Light concept for awards.
Old May 9, 2024, 10:34 am

Hey, does anyone know how the internet situation is on intra-European flights on widebodies? On the Finnair website it only says 30 mins for free on A319, A320 and A321. But nothing about A350.
Old May 9, 2024, 11:03 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Panix
Hey, does anyone know how the internet situation is on intra-European flights on widebodies? On the Finnair website it only says 30 mins for free on A319, A320 and A321. But nothing about A350.
On shorthaul A350 / A330 flights, you will have the same benefits as on longhaul A350 / A330 flights.
Panix likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 1:16 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by intuition
To my understanding, the free messaging access is meant to only allow a few specific message-apps. So it is not about bandwith, it is about usage.
Which makes the whole package nearly useless for most people. Most of my messaging is done through another medium than those few specific apps listed. And not even being able to check your hotel or onwards connections? I can't see how someone at AY thought this was a good idea. For comparison, LH's short haul free messaging package does include internet access as you'd expect. It's just a slower version of streaming, but at least it's usable.
vulle likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 2:07 pm

It is obviously a better idea than no free internet. And you always have the option to pay for additional internet access.
Venezuela-Miami and SPBanker like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 11:54 pm

Removed. On flame free thread.
Old May 16, 2024, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BA Gold, DL PM, Hyatt-Globalist
Question Is AY J LHR/HEL really sold out for near end July already?

AY newbie here. Trying to make a booking BZE/VNO for late July in J. Found a routing and price that somewhat works (BZE>MIA>LHR>HEL>VNO). LHR/HEL is on AY and equipment listed is A359 and managed to hold booking via AA. Thing is when I look at the booking it says J is not available on LHR/HEL leg only Y. How is this possible unless J is sold out? Afterall this is supposed to be an A359. Am I missing something? Is the equipment listed by AA incorrect? or is it too early to know which equipment AY will eventually use on this leg, hence why only Y is available?
Old May 16, 2024, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by cbfh
AY newbie here. Trying to make a booking BZE/VNO for late July in J. Found a routing and price that somewhat works (BZE>MIA>LHR>HEL>VNO). LHR/HEL is on AY and equipment listed is A359 and managed to hold booking via AA. Thing is when I look at the booking it says J is not available on LHR/HEL leg only Y. How is this possible unless J is sold out? Afterall this is supposed to be an A359. Am I missing something? Is the equipment listed by AA incorrect? or is it too early to know which equipment AY will eventually use on this leg, hence why only Y is available?
This stupid thing often happens with AA and AY bookings. The longhaul segment is probably in a cheaper business class booking class like R or I but that fare bucket is not available on LHR-HEL anymore. And that's why the booking engine only offers you economy for that flight. If you want business class for the LHR-HEL flight, the whole booking including the longhaul segment must be booked in a higher booking class which is going to be more expensive.

BA fares usually allow the shorthaul segments to be in J class even on cheaper tickets. Have you tried to book your ticket through BA?
Old May 16, 2024, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BA Gold, DL PM, Hyatt-Globalist
Originally Posted by haapalainen
This stupid thing often happens with AA and AY bookings. The longhaul segment is probably in a cheaper business class booking class like R or I but that fare bucket is not available on LHR-HEL anymore. And that's why the booking engine only offers you economy for that flight. If you want business class for the LHR-HEL flight, the whole booking including the longhaul segment must be booked in a higher booking class which is going to be more expensive.

BA fares usually allow the shorthaul segments to be in J class even on cheaper tickets. Have you tried to book your ticket through BA?
Thanks for that explanaton. Tried the BA booking route but BA site is not playing nice--no flghts available it says. Does seem like if I stick with Oneword, I will either have to pay more---and believe me the booking on hold is already not cheap--or look elsewhere. UA seems to be offering some better pricing via Star Alliance using UA and LH.
Old May 16, 2024, 3:21 pm

If I were you, I would just book what you have found. LHR-HEL is a 2 hour 40 min flight, and on a widebody, you will be just fine in a longhaul Y seat. AY Euro-J food is sometimes inedible, at other times comparable to elementary school cafeteria food and with LHR T3 lounges offering great food before your flight, the AY J meal is irrelevant, really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.