Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Interesting, that would be real life hack to not claim bags and then go pick them up...there must be some risks involved (i.e. waterboarding)? Going to FL would then be definate option, good to know. But maybe most reasonable method is to check Hilton as it has been reported to be option but sounded like off the books thing so...
I doubt there is much risk in getting in trouble as people (whether intentionally or not) forget their bags every day. If you walk around a domestic bag claim area, you'll quite often see a pile of bags sitting outside the offices waiting to be collected.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:36 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
I have a similar problem as well regarding ORD, asked help at other FT forum (US midwest) but so far no luck. There are no baggage storage so 11h layover is bit tricky with luggage. Also, with family and only one OWE anymore, on need to carefully think whether to go to flagship lounge alone and leave the rest to other lounge If the lounge is even worth it.
The lounge at Terminal 5 is absolutely not worth it
Post Scriptum likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 2:31 am

Programs: AY, IHG, Radisson
Originally Posted by Venezuela-Miami
The lounge at Terminal 5 is absolutely not worth it
yep, only lounge worth of visit is AA flagship in different terminal
Post Scriptum and Ukki like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:20 pm

Hello, if I book an award seat in Premium Economy on HEL to North America using Avios. Will I still be able to request an upgrade using cash? Has anyone done this before? thank you
Old Mar 30, 2024, 3:52 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by just_trying
Hello, if I book an award seat in Premium Economy on HEL to North America using Avios. Will I still be able to request an upgrade using cash? Has anyone done this before? thank you
At least a few hours before your flight at the airport.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar
At least a few hours before your flight at the airport.
Thank you for the response Jainzar...does Finnair ever send upgrade offers in manage my booking? this is my first time flying with Finnair
Old Mar 31, 2024, 4:28 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by just_trying
Thank you for the response Jainzar...does Finnair ever send upgrade offers in manage my booking? this is my first time flying with Finnair
It sometimes does, but I wouldn't count on it. See here for experiences.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:17 am

Programs: AY+ (Emerald), OZ (*G), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Venezuela-Miami
I recently made something similar, but in my case as traveling the usual light way (carry-on only), but due to a passport issue I wasn't able to finish OLCI.

I found the food offering of the Flagship Lounge at ORD to be the best of all the network so I could really enjoy the extra time.

So I had to wait for the painfully late time (3 hours before flight departure IIRC) the counter opened.

At least you don;t have to clear security again at Terminal 5 (or even head back via the ATS), make sure to use the Terminal Transfer Bus almost hidden at gate K20 and enjoy the great ride.

Hi, I will be doing a run in May to ORD and would like to give this a try.

So to confirm, we still check in at ORD Terminal 5 and then look for a Terminal Transfer Bus near T5 K20 and head to T3? How much time should we leave to head back to T5, i.e. how early should we leave the lounge in T3 assuming a 9.30pm flight time?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelExperience
Hi, I will be doing a run in May to ORD and would like to give this a try.

So to confirm, we still check in at ORD Terminal 5 and then look for a Terminal Transfer Bus near T5 K20 and head to T3? How much time should we leave to head back to T5, i.e. how early should we leave the lounge in T3 assuming a 9.30pm flight time?
You got a little mixed up with the terminals, the process is as follows:

I'd head for the bus about 60-90min before departure as sometimes there is a wait.

1. Check in and drop bags at T5
2. Take train to T3
3. Clear TSA and head to FL
4. Take bus from K20 in T3 to T5
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:15 am

Unhappy

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
You got a little mixed up with the terminals, the process is as follows:

I'd head for the bus about 60-90min before departure as sometimes there is a wait.

1. Check in and drop bags at T5
2. Take train to T3
3. Clear TSA and head to FL
4. Take bus from K20 in T3 to T5

Hello again, you really helped me during my last run back in 2022, thanks again.

Okay so check in at T5, which is at most 3 hours before flight departure?
Train which is before TAS to T3,
Clear TSA at T3

So assuming I am at the check in counter before anyone else, and check in exactly 180 mins before, I presume the train and TSA at T3 would take at least 1 hour all in? and if I head to the bus at K20 in T3 for T5, at say 75 mins before departure, wouldn't that mean I would probably have at most 1 hour at the T3 FL and likely maybe 45mins ?

any idea what the BA lounge in T5 is like?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Hello again, you really helped me during my last run back in 2022, thanks again.

Okay so check in at T5, which is at most 3 hours before flight departure?
Train which is before TAS to T3,
Clear TSA at T3

So assuming I am at the check in counter before anyone else, and check in exactly 180 mins before, I presume the train and TSA at T3 would take at least 1 hour all in? and if I head to the bus at K20 in T3 for T5, at say 75 mins before departure, wouldn't that mean I would probably have at most 1 hour at the T3 FL and likely maybe 45mins ?

any idea what the BA lounge in T5 is like?
I believe the counter opens closer to 4hrs before departure. The train I'd say is a 5 min ride and TSA usually isn't bad at ORD T3, especially as you can access the AA priority lane saving some time. If you really want to be adventurous, show your digital AY+ card to the dragon at the AA Flagship First Check in which gets you to the front of the TSA line.

The BA lounge denies access to AY pax and even if you got in it isn't great.
SPBanker likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I believe the counter opens closer to 4hrs before departure. The train I'd say is a 5 min ride and TSA usually isn't bad at ORD T3, especially as you can access the AA priority lane saving some time. If you really want to be adventurous, show your digital AY+ card to the dragon at the AA Flagship First Check in which gets you to the front of the TSA line.

The BA lounge denies access to AY pax and even if you got in it isn't great.
Thank you for counter time and estimates and tips for the rest. Okay I will give it a try in May, really appreciated.

Thanks too for the warning about the BA lounge. So it even denies access to AY pax even if we are Sapphire / Emerald?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:14 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Thank you for counter time and estimates and tips for the rest. Okay I will give it a try in May, really appreciated.

Thanks too for the warning about the BA lounge. So it even denies access to AY pax even if we are Sapphire / Emerald?
Unfortunately yes, and this is not the only BA lounge in outstations that does this. But AA FL is very nice!
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:50 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Unfortunately yes, and this is not the only BA lounge in outstations that does this. But AA FL is very nice!
Indeed, IMHO the ORD AA FL has the best food offering of them all
SPBanker likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Global Entry
Finnair First-Timer

As a newbie, I have a few questions about flying Finnair maybe you fine folks can assist.
  • I am flying DFW-HEL in business this summer. I'm assuming I'm using AA lounges in DFW, but what about in HEL on way back? I am flying with my partner in business and a friend will be flying in economy. What are the best lounge options for guesting? I have Priority Pass, and points if AA lets us use them to buy a guest pass for DFW. Thoughts?
  • Is Finnair good about having seat belt extenders? I am a passenger of size and may need one in J seat.
  • Anyone have experience flying the no recline seats? Thoughts?
  • For those of you familiar with Helsinki, what are your top things to do/places to eat?

Last edited by FromMAtoAZ; Apr 1, 2024 at 6:44 pm Reason: Errant bullet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.