Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2024, 6:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
Not directly Finnair question - but is there Star Alliance transfer desk in Helsinki airport and where exactly? have a tconnection from Finnair to Turkish flight (separate tickets) and no online check-in possible.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Richey66
Not directly Finnair question - but is there Star Alliance transfer desk in Helsinki airport and where exactly? have a tconnection from Finnair to Turkish flight (separate tickets) and no online check-in possible.
Gates 29 and 52
Old Feb 28, 2024, 2:26 am
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
If I have an overnight connection booked on a flex ticket, is it possible to change the connection (second flight only) after already arriving at the connection point (HEL)?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 6:40 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
I'm having issues crediting points from Malaysia Airlines to my Finnair Plus account.

The trip happened some time ago and my Finnair Plus number was in my booking (my status was recognized properly throughout the trip etc), but no points were credited to my account. After two weeks had passed, I manually tried claiming the points via Finnair.com and the flights did indeed show up within a few days, but with 0 points credited for the flights.

The tickets were booked directly with Malaysia Airlines, with a MH flight number, and operated by Malaysia Airlines (no subsidiary) in "economy basic" with Malaysia Airlines lingo.

One thing that comes to mind was that I was unsure about what class to pick. My ticket lists N and O, but those don't show up in the Finnair earnings table.

How do I determine the correct class?
Any other reason why such flights would give 0 points?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 6:57 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by yoghurt

One thing that comes to mind was that I was unsure about what class to pick. My ticket lists N and O, but those don't show up in the Finnair earnings table.

How do I determine the correct class?
Any other reason why such flights would give 0 points?
Neither O or N class on MH awards any points to partner airlines. I had that happen to me too a while ago flying in O class. They are the cheapest classes.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by srieppo
Neither O or N class on MH awards any points to partner airlines. I had that happen to me too a while ago flying in O class. They are the cheapest classes.
Huh, that's unfortunate. I wasn't expecting much points from these flights, but at least some. They weren't that cheap after all or part of any specific deal, from what I could tell. Oh well.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:45 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by yoghurt
Huh, that's unfortunate. I wasn't expecting much points from these flights, but at least some. They weren't that cheap after all or part of any specific deal, from what I could tell. Oh well.
*A is even worse in this respect. Every time I fly SQ or TG, I end up with 0 points on TK.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 11:35 pm

Programs: AY Plat
I'm looking for HEL-CUN flights for the next winter and the first option shown has 1h25m layover in DFW, where you also need to do a terminal change. I don't think that's doable and the AA flight to CUN is the last of the day, so missing it will mean a night in a hotel. Has anyone managed to make that connection work? The next best option is 17h stopover in JFK, which is far from great. Not sure why I don't see any flights via MIA, it'll still probably have an overnight layover but shorter than at JFK.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Clarity_
I'm looking for HEL-CUN flights for the next winter and the first option shown has 1h25m layover in DFW, where you also need to do a terminal change. I don't think that's doable and the AA flight to CUN is the last of the day, so missing it will mean a night in a hotel. Has anyone managed to make that connection work? The next best option is 17h stopover in JFK, which is far from great. Not sure why I don't see any flights via MIA, it'll still probably have an overnight layover but shorter than at JFK.
In my experience, HEL-DFW often arrives on time and immigration is quick. Changing terminals past security is smooth too.

I wouldnt rule it out completely, but youll be at the mercy of short lines to immigration and security check that day.
Clarity_ likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 12:17 am
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
If possible, consider changing dates 1 day. There is a route with a 6hr daytime layover at LAX, connecting onto AS
Clarity_ likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
I did MEX-DFW-HEL recently with 1h35min layover and had I not asked people to let me go ahead of them I would have missed the connection.

Finnair arrives at DFW at the worst possible time for immigration queues, without Global entry 30+ minutes waiting time is common. Baggage claim and drop off is fast but security can be busy. There are other checkpoints in the terminal though which can have shorter lines.

All in all I would not recommend this connection unless you are ok with staying overnight in Dallas if things don't go well.
Clarity_ likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 3:03 am

I've struggled with longer connections at DFW, I disagree on the quickness comment below, AY arrives around the same time as a BA A380, an AA flights from Mexico and Japan, a QR widebody, and some others. It's really up to chance whether you make it to immigration before the passengers from those flights (and whether you are eligible for mobile passport control - anyone on an ESTA is), but landing after BA for instance means 1.5 hours is barely doable with rushing and optimizing security. I am surprised that CUN is a different terminal because it's also an international flight and it's easier to have those arrive and depart in the same terminal but still.

I would just book a different route that allows you to connect in Europe instead of the US.
Clarity_ likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 3:42 am

Programs: AY LUMO
But how do you know there is a terminal change and how do you know AA's departure gate to CUN if this flight is next winter?

Last edited by OH-LGG; Mar 5, 2024 at 3:57 am
Old Mar 5, 2024, 4:22 am

Programs: AY Plat
Originally Posted by a_k
If possible, consider changing dates 1 day. There is a route with a 6hr daytime layover at LAX, connecting onto AS
I looked at that option, but it'll make the trip quite long.

Originally Posted by mpkz
I've struggled with longer connections at DFW, I disagree on the quickness comment below, AY arrives around the same time as a BA A380, an AA flights from Mexico and Japan, a QR widebody, and some others. It's really up to chance whether you make it to immigration before the passengers from those flights (and whether you are eligible for mobile passport control - anyone on an ESTA is), but landing after BA for instance means 1.5 hours is barely doable with rushing and optimizing security. I am surprised that CUN is a different terminal because it's also an international flight and it's easier to have those arrive and depart in the same terminal but still.

I would just book a different route that allows you to connect in Europe instead of the US.
I'm trying to optimise this for points gain and connecting in Europe will not work there, plus being more expensive (this would prob mean going via LHR with BA).

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
But how do you know there is a terminal change and how do you know AA's departure gate to CUN if this flight is next winter?
Computer say so

Old Mar 5, 2024, 4:35 am

Programs: AY LUMO
What is terminal 0 ? Something hphp.

DFW has A B C D E and AA using A B C D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.