Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Venezuela-Miami
This is the way
In my last trip thru HEL I only had one connection so I did the only logical option, book the 8 hours layover.
FT is chock-a-block full of "real idiots". SEA-HEL lands in the afternoon. So after second lunch, shower, third lunch, web surfing, and finally first dinner, a couple hours have elapsed and I begrudgingly shuffle off to my connection. 3+ hours seems the bare minimum.
Venezuela-Miami, intuition and a_k like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 10:49 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
FT is chock-a-block full of "real idiots". SEA-HEL lands in the afternoon. So after second lunch, shower, third lunch, web surfing, and finally first dinner, a couple hours have elapsed and I begrudgingly shuffle off to my connection. 3+ hours seems the bare minimum.
Indeed. I recently booked a flight with a 1h 15 min layover in HKG. From what I can judge, the 1h 15min is very reasonable for a smooth connection at HKG and minimizes the overall travel time very well. But it keeps nagging me that I can't figure out a somewhat reasonable way to extend the layover, and get some time to enjoy the CX first lounge properly... (and what about that JAL alternative that had a decent 3h+ layover in HND/NRT that was sold out??)
Venezuela-Miami and SPBanker like this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 5:48 am

Programs: AY
I was still Platinum when I booked flights to BKK in economy class. I had selected exit row seat (for free as platinum benefit) and waitlisted my booking to J with LH voucher.

My seat selection was shown in the app and website until I dropped to Gold status. Now I don't see it anymore and it's not possible to select a new seat ether (selecting seat not available according to my booking tool).

So how does the system work, is the exit row seat still assigned to me in case my upgrade doesn't clear?
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:14 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
If you are Gold on the day of flight, you will not – as a rule – get the exit row for free.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:40 am

Programs: AY
Originally Posted by ffay005
If you are Gold on the day of flight, you will not as a rule get the exit row for free.
Yeah, I have read that Gold can't select exit row seat for free anymore. But I was wondering that how the system works in this particular case and why I am not able to select a new seat currently. Is it because I'm waitlisted to J? Is the exit row seat still assigned to me and I will have to pay for it during the check-in or was the seat selection released on that same day when I was not platinum anymore?
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:43 am
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by Enjoy_the_flight
Yeah, I have read that Gold can't select exit row seat for free anymore. But I was wondering that how the system works in this particular case and why I am not able to select a new seat currently. Is it because I'm waitlisted to J? Is the exit row seat still assigned to me and I will have to pay for it during the check-in or was the seat selection released on that same day when I was not platinum anymore?
When you are waitlisted you can only change seats by contacting customer service
Enjoy_the_flight likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 2:32 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
How long it typically takes for BA to credit flights to AY? AA did it almost 2nd business day after flight but BA going to 4th.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:58 am

Lounge access in HEL during domestic transfer

Hi,

I've booked an WAW-HEL-KAO award trip in Business for myself and the gang.

Do we have lounge access in HEL during transfer? I was assuming we would have (which is why we booked in Business in the first place), but Manage My Booking page does not indicate this and suggests to purchase lounge access separately.

I'm aware there is no Business class on domestic flights but would expect there to still be lounge access, no?
Old Jan 22, 2024, 10:24 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Kasgel
Hi,

I've booked an WAW-HEL-KAO award trip in Business for myself and the gang.

Do we have lounge access in HEL during transfer? I was assuming we would have (which is why we booked in Business in the first place), but Manage My Booking page does not indicate this and suggests to purchase lounge access separately.

I'm aware there is no Business class on domestic flights but would expect there to still be lounge access, no?
No lounge access in this case (when you're continuing to KAO). Lounge access is only granted in such a case if the inbound business class flight is a longhaul flight.

If this is a round trip, you naturally get business class lounge access in HEL when flying to WAW.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 2:35 pm

Programs: AY+ Silver
As far as I understand I can cancel an AY flex ticket whenever before the flight. Suppose I reserve the whole cabin and cancel all but one ticket at the gate. That would lead to me having a whole cabin for myself for the cost of one ticket, no? Just curious. 😄
Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:05 pm

What a funny first post. Welcome to FT anyway.

Theoretically, yes. In practice, you would need to make several bookings of 8-9 pax, whichever AY allows without it being a group booking. If you use the same payment mode for all these bookings, I am pretty sure they will catch it.

Moreover, they sell upgrades at check-in and at the gate so you might very well find yourself in a cabin full of more or less first-time J pax, which is not a nice experience.
lacos likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:20 am

Programs: AY+
Might be a wrong thread to inquire about this, but here goes.. Does anyone have an idea why a JL booking (HND-ITM, booked through JAL Japan Explore Pass) resist to be found/addable on Finnair app/web? Shows fine on JL and BA apps, for example. CS/IT states this is because the "ticket is all JL, no AY, and the ticket does not start with 105 blahblah..."

This likely is not the case, as normally trips without AY legs/any part AY show in the app just fine.. No big deal but would like to have all the OW bookings visible in the same app
TIA
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:52 am

My UL trip CMB-MLE-CMB showed up in the AY app just fine. So nothing to do with 105 ticket stock etc.
Olperoo likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 8:01 am

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by ffay005
My UL trip CMB-MLE-CMB showed up in the AY app just fine. So nothing to do with 105 ticket stock etc.
Yeah I know, same for my MH booking for example..
Old Jan 23, 2024, 8:07 am

AA bookings don't show up because they use SABRE instead of Amadeus or something, but I doubt that's the case here if you can see the booking via BA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.