FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)
Old May 8, 2019, 5:59 am
on22cz

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by Chokkoubin
Update: I asked at the airport and the *extremely* unhelpful airpro contract staff acted like I was asking for some insane thing that doesn’t exist.

Contrast with the AY contract ground staff staff at ARN whose response to being asked if I could standby for an earlier flight was ‘Of course, here’s your new boarding pass.’

🤷.♂️
Originally Posted by ffay005
Interesting. While I don't have experience from RVN, my experience at ARN has been very similar with yours at RVN. In general, the contract staff at ARN seem one of the most unfriendly and incompetent out there.
Originally Posted by FFlash
IME AY only allows you standby change if the next flight is full and I have succeeded this only at ARN.
Interestingly, I had once succeeded at ARN as a lowly AY Gold. It was clearly a nice gesture of the check in agent as I haven't succeeded there nor elsewhere as of that time. Contract staff usually sends you to / calls ticket office, where another contract agent denies.
It doesn't even work with Lumo on some predictable basis. Few times they had made a change, but usually they either deny, or try to squeeze you as a fresh orange. And you are totally out of luck if you are on a business trip.

To defend the ARN staff, they have usually been of the better ones I have encountered. Thinking of OSL, CPH, PRG, TLL, AMS, NRT to list just few I remember, ARN has always left better impression.
In general, I am happy if I don't have to deal with contract staff more than necessary as their knowledge and approach are just disappointing.

Originally Posted by Some person
I'd point at Article 10 of EU Regulation 261/2004:75% of the price of the ticket may be more than the value of the points/voucher.
It's worth noting here that the compensation only applies to the flight that has been downgraded, not for the whole ticket. This may cause a significant change to the calculation of worthiness.