Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:39 am

Good day,

I have a booking HEL - BUD in class D but I want to change the date of travel. The ticket is the last leg in an EU-US-EU trip. But on the desired travel data only class C is available on the flight.

is it correct that, as a platinum, I shouldn't worry as seat is guaranteed in class D if more than 48h before the flight?

Does anybody has experience through travel agency (Egencia)?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBS
Spending a gift voucher

Hey all, I have a gift voucher as a result of a successful EU261 claim. Is there a way to spend it on flights departing from a country that doesn’t use Euros?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by weida888
  • I get 4 vouchers now to use until the end of this tracking period and have automatically again 4 vouchers next tracking period?
  • Every voucher I use this period now will be deducted from the next one?
When you become Gold during an accrual year, you get 4 vouchers until the end of that accrual year.
When you remain Gold at the beginning of an accrual year (because you qualified the previous year), you get 4 vouchers valid for that whole year. So it is essentially the first option in your list.

Note however that if you use a voucher to apply for an upgrade on a flight past the voucher expiry date, then the voucher will not be recovered if the upgrade fails (i.e. because you don't clear the wait-list or because of irrop).
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by Chokkoubin
Hey all, I have a gift voucher as a result of a successful EU261 claim. Is there a way to spend it on flights departing from a country that doesn’t use Euros?
Book via call centre. They should also waive the booking fee. Last time I booked this way, the exchange rate was pretty good, so no major disadvantage in terms of decreasing the voucher value if used from non-EUR country.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
I need to go to Kiev in June. I don’t seem to find any alternatives that would earn Finnair Plus points. I am based in Helsinki. Any realistic suggestions?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by casper79
Good day,

I have a booking HEL - BUD in class D but I want to change the date of travel. The ticket is the last leg in an EU-US-EU trip. But on the desired travel data only class C is available on the flight.

is it correct that, as a platinum, I shouldn't worry as seat is guaranteed in class D if more than 48h before the flight?
I am quite sure someone here asked AY one or two months ago. Adjusted to your case the booking class D is guaranteed if no seat is available. Since booking class C is available there is a seat available and the guaranteed seat benefit does not apply.

But you can ask AY to verify.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by niksal
I need to go to Kiev in June. I don’t seem to find any alternatives that would earn Finnair Plus points. I am based in Helsinki. Any realistic suggestions?
LOT publishes fares between HEL and KBP with AY codes between HEL and TLL.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:51 am

I think your only option is HEL-LHR-KBP. Whether you find that realistic, I do not know.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
S7 va MOW??
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:09 am

Thanks for the suggestions. The matrix, and no OTA suggest anything remotely related to OW. Well, I guess I will fly via Riga or Germany on BT or LH. Or try the direct flight.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Thanks for the suggestions. The matrix, and no OTA suggest anything remotely related to OW. Well, I guess I will fly via Riga or Germany on BT or LH. Or try the direct flight.
Did you try "alliance oneworld" with advanced options? BA is available for a dear price starting at 394€ (rt).
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
S7 va MOW??
That was my first thought, too, but then I checked Wikipedia and it seems that S7 doesn’t fly to Ukraine at all.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:48 am

The LOT fare via TLL does earn 2x500 AY+ points - as any Light/Basic short-haul round-trip. It's no worse than earnings on, say, HEL-KRK. It is maybe not the most economical fare though.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:12 pm

Where do you find this LOT fare?

Does the BA fare allow a stopover in London? It would actually make sense if yes, I need to go to London at some point as well.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Where do you find this LOT fare?

Does the BA fare allow a stopover in London? It would actually make sense if yes, I need to go to London at some point as well.
I don't know, but at 394€ the way there takes 40+ hours, so I expect BA don't fly to KBP that often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.