Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by FFlash
really? Havent tried though
Unless I've become completely demented, I thought AY priced out the award according to the longest segment in the ticket based on my conversation with CS a few years ago. Basically, my itinerary was gonna involve AY, BA and AA where AA had the longest segment and therefore agent was going to price it out according to the AA chart. Didn't end up booking so can't comment on the outcome.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:46 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by slappychasez
Does Finnair still have a stopover program? Looking to do book JFK-ARN-HEL with a stopover in ARN if possible.
Still? What do you mean?
Old Mar 24, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Still? What do you mean?
Did some searching and it seems they had stopovers in years prior. I take it this is not the case anymore?

Last edited by slappychasez; Mar 24, 2022 at 3:11 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 24, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Stopover for Asian pax in HEL was years ago.

AY's booking engine offered an option to stay HEL between flights:

Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:36 am

welcome to AY forum!

I would say, if you will fly on own dime due to less company trips, and willing to spend some, then I would simply buy a promo flight longhaul and get the plat without converting tvose points.
But if you are not willing to spend own dime, then there is no point in converting those points to plat which becomes quite useless to you, but instead save money on the few flights anyway and use those points for awards simply
Thanks FFlash, your logic makes sense. I am not afraid to spend own dime but am of course always looking for the best bang for the buck.

My only issue with the promo long haul flight in J (the award point J flights are at 2.0x or 2.5x points multiplier?) is that such an itinerary is not possible before the end of my tracking period with 6 days left. I guess this is what you meant with your promo flight comment? (i.e.,16k x 2.5x = 40k tier points, remaining 15k toward Plat status paid using 45k award points). In fact, I remembered Finnair offering much worse point conversion rates for award flights. This seems to have changed for the better.

During the upcoming tracking period we are planning a family trip (incl. one 3yr old) overseas, so I could see different combos playing out using the Plat + gift Gold vouchers to max out seats in J, paying the rest ourselves.

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Wow, 6 years on FT and first post today! Welcome!
Thanks miamiflyer8! I guess I learned my way around the search up until now

Thanks also ffay005 and r2d2 for the input – my own thinking for valuing up the Plat upgrade with points was based on a similar line of thought.
r2d2 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:48 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by slappychasez
Did some searching and it seems they had stopovers in years prior. I take it this is not the case anymore?
No, and as OH-LGG noted, it was for passengers from Asian flights.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 1:05 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
really? Havent tried though
They were revomed in the era of Miss K.
I don't remember exactly, maybe in 2018 2019? Miss K said it was removed because no one ever used them. Which frankly sounds like a post-factum construction. They wanted to remove them for some reason (perhaps expensive or OW didn't want them or ...) and then found out that only like 1% of redemptions were OW-awards so they figured no one would miss them.

So now there is no way to sticht together a longer award. Now you can only redeem on one specific carrier at a time, so you need to find what that partner airline offers as an award and book that. The only stiching you can do is if Finnair flies to the departure of the partner award, then you can attach a connecting Finnair flight to that.

You can of course redeem first leg on partner A and then redeem second leg on partner B, but that will be two redemptions, each priced from the respective table. And they will be on 2 PNR. So twice the price and half the utility.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 1:24 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by intuition
They were revomed in the era of Miss K.
I don't remember exactly, maybe in 2018 2019? Miss K said it was removed because no one ever used them. Which frankly sounds like a post-factum construction. They wanted to remove them for some reason (perhaps expensive or OW didn't want them or ...) and then found out that only like 1% of redemptions were OW-awards so they figured no one would miss them.

So now there is no way to sticht together a longer award. Now you can only redeem on one specific carrier at a time, so you need to find what that partner airline offers as an award and book that. The only stiching you can do is if Finnair flies to the departure of the partner award, then you can attach a connecting Finnair flight to that.

You can of course redeem first leg on partner A and then redeem second leg on partner B, but that will be two redemptions, each priced from the respective table. And they will be on 2 PNR. So twice the price and half the utility.

Kind of like the store told me they dont accept amex as no one uses it here, I asked have you ever accepted it? No! So how could anyone ever use it there then 😁😁😁
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
AY Plus status by points purchase

If I buy during this promotion some points to get Silver or Gold status and converting this points for status points, and, my status period ends let’s say the end of September. Does it mean that I’ll be then Silver/ Gold for September and then Basic/ Silver right after 1st of October?
(Long explanation for simple question).
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
No, you always keep the achieved tier for the current and next tracking period.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Abducted Alien
If I buy during this promotion some points to get Silver or Gold status and converting this points for status points, and, my status period ends let’s say the end of September. Does it mean that I’ll be then Silver/ Gold for September and then Basic/ Silver right after 1st of October?
(Long explanation for simple question).
It will convert what is left of your current period to gold. You will get immediately 4 SH vouchers. After your period ends in September, the next period will be gold and you get 4 new vouchers.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by srieppo
It will convert what is left of your current period to gold. You will get immediately 4 SH vouchers. After your period ends in September, the next period will be gold and you get 4 new vouchers.
There does NOT seem to be a new set of vouchers anymore, so only one set per qualification...
Old Mar 25, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by kauppias
There does NOT seem to be a new set of vouchers anymore, so only one set per qualification...
I heard this rumor too so I just confirmed this from Finnair platinum whatsapp and they replied that I will get new vouchers when this period ends.
mpkz likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 11:52 am

I heard this rumor too so I just confirmed this from Finnair platinum whatsapp and they replied that I will get new vouchers when this period ends.
Again I would NOT count on it, anecdotes here tend to make me beleive its not so, but I guess we will soon have some data points. I trust any customer service so little right right now, they dont seem to get the info any sooner then us, so hard to give too much credibility there...
Old Mar 25, 2022, 11:53 am

they also told me that planes do NOT fly out with empty J seats if plats wants to upgrade using vouchers, this was also not true 😆😁😁😁
r2d2 and intuition like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.