Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: LuxExpress VIP
Agreed, this makes more sense. Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by vanaema78
I have about 6k points that expire in April, any cheap ways to push the expiry date further?
Buy 1000p?
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ffay005
Those points are worth some 50 EUR so you'd need to find something that costs less. I've just let small amounts expire on accounts that I rarely use, like AA.
My AA account is mostly depleted but I still have a balance worth keeping, if you sign up for “Miles for opinions” and click on a survey and circle thru a few screens, you get 3 miles per survey as a “partial credit”. Enough to reset the 18 months and takes less than 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by vanaema78
Agreed, this makes more sense. Thanks.
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Buy 1000p?
1000p costs about €13, so I recommend this as well.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
upgardes?

I have some upgrade certificates and am not sure how to use them, I can figure that out but what are the odds of upgrading for a long haul?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
0–100 % depending on route, date and status You need to be more specific if you want a guesstimate.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Early check-in?

How early can you check-in at Helsinki? If it makes any difference, it will be J and I have BA OWE. Many thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Dan72
How early can you check-in at Helsinki? If it makes any difference, it will be J and I have BA OWE. Many thanks.
On your day of flight, any time. For morning flights, the previous evening.

If you do not want to check in bags, my guess is they could check you in and give you a BP 36 hours before your flight, as that is when the flight opens for OLCI, but this is just a guess. (24 hours for USA)
Dan72 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red

If you do not want to check in bags, my guess is they could check you in and give you a BP 36 hours before your flight, as that is when the flight opens for OLCI, but this is just a guess. (24 hours for USA)
Do you know if HEL has a rule in terms of a max number of hours before departure you can check in your bags? I know ARN for example accepts bags as early as 23hrs provided your airline accepts it, done it a few times for SK and LH.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 2:26 pm

I don't. Sorry.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:38 pm

Okay, that does make a lot of sense.
Not many amazing redemptions from finnair, especially since their RTW awards have been removed ):
Thanks for the explanation!
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:46 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Many thanks. Thankfully it will be just 5 hours ahead of departure, same day. Great to know that I can check in and get rid of my bags.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 6:40 am

Hi all,

I am looking to book a ticket from SIN-LHR via HEL with AY+ points. I can see availability on the SIN-HEL sector but biz availability from HEL-LHR requires an 8hr connection for an A321 aircraft which is not worth waiting for.

Is it possible to book an AY award with the SIN-HEL sector in Business then HEL-LHR in Economy? This reduces the connection time to 90 minutes plus connects onto the A350.

Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2022, 7:27 am

Celsdon, via CS, it should be possible. The price is the usual J price. I believe you can waitlist J for your flight, too.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:08 am

Celsdon, via CS, it should be possible. The price is the usual J price. I believe you can waitlist J for your flight, too.
Thanks for your help ffay005 - unfortunately tried on both live chat and phone but to no avail. I was booking for other people so I didn't want to waitlist the flight - opted instead to book economy & then use upgrade voucher to upgrade the SIN-HEL & HEL-LHR sectors.

On a side note, the AY systems seem to act really strange... it couldn't do the short 90 minute connection but there was award availability in Biz for both sectors. Very confusing but managed to work around it in the end.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:18 am

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
When i hit LUMO, i get another gold card to gift, right? Even if i have previous gift unused still?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.