Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2022, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kauppias
ay platinum gives 4 sh and 2 lh vouchers
Oops... so where on earth are my SH vouchers? Don't see them on the app

edit: or maybe I just forgot about them and am still on my previous plat cycle with all the extensions
kauppias likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by mpkz
Oops... so where on earth are my SH vouchers? Don't see them on the app

edit: or maybe I just forgot about them and am still on my previous plat cycle with all the extensions
Many still are 🤣🤣😀
Old Mar 13, 2022, 12:25 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by Einar01
At the moment I am AY gold and was counting that I could get myself to platinum if I would convert some of my points to tier points. Now I am just trying to figure it out if I should go for it or not.
If you can use the upgrade vouchers you'd receive, converting points to reach Plat is definetely a good deal. You would have to convert a maximum of 210000 award points (if you would reach 80000 tier points by flying and would need to get 70000 tier points more through exchange). You would receive upgrade vouchers for two Plat qualification periods (if you do the conversion early enough, i.e. not within the last two weeks of the qualification period), the Gold vouchers for the soft landing year and two Gold gift cards, both with their upgrade vouchers. If you use all the vouchers for long haul upgrades, you would get 9 upgrades, which are worth 450000 award points, so that alone justifies the point conversion.

Of course in this situation you have to ponder will AY survive the Russian airspace closure and do they have long hauls you'd be willing to take.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by r2d2
If you can use the upgrade vouchers you'd receive, converting points to reach Plat is definetely a good deal. You would have to convert a maximum of 210000 award points (if you would reach 80000 tier points by flying and would need to get 70000 tier points more through exchange). You would receive upgrade vouchers for two Plat qualification periods (if you do the conversion early enough, i.e. not within the last two weeks of the qualification period), the Gold vouchers for the soft landing year and two Gold gift cards, both with their upgrade vouchers. If you use all the vouchers for long haul upgrades, you would get 9 upgrades, which are worth 450000 award points, so that alone justifies the point conversion.

Of course in this situation you have to ponder will AY survive the Russian airspace closure and do they have long hauls you'd be willing to take.
Two gold gift cards?
So to be clear, I get to give out one gold now and another one when my next tracking period starts in June? And same goes for the vouchers?

If thats the case then i would definately go for it. Cheers!
Old Mar 13, 2022, 1:42 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by Einar01
Two gold gift cards?
So to be clear, I get to give out one gold now and another one when my next tracking period starts in June? And same goes for the vouchers?
Yes, exactly.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 4:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Similar situation here. What a joke. If they don't want to staff up, fine - but then you MUST allow us to update stuff on the website. Their website will not allow me to get my Sapphire # in it so I can't choose seats. 2 hours on chat to no avail. Is it even worth calling?
Just an fyi - couldn't get through to chat, decided to call their Finnish # this AM. Was an hour call, cost $3.05 but I was able to get what I needed done. Crazy that we can't get in touch with airlines these days (AA in the States is having similar call center issues).
Old Mar 13, 2022, 7:46 am
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
Hi all, a bit of a newbie when it comes to frequent flyer programmes so excuse the somewhat rudimentary question. I am planning to hit AY Gold by the end of my tracking period. If I understood correctly, I would be Gold for the rest of the current tracking period + the following tracking period. Then, if I fail to maintain gold status after that following tracking period, I still get the perks for 12 more months? So, essentially I am considered AY Gold for rest of current tracking period + next 24 months (at minimum, e.g. if I don't maintain gold status via tier points), is that correct? Cheers!
Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Not correct.

Let's assume your tracking period is from May to April.

If you reach Gold in March, you will be Gold March-April + May-April, ie what's left of your current period + 12 months.

After that, you lose Gold status (but there has been something called soft landing, so you will fall to Silver for the next 12 months and then to basic).
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:28 am
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
Thanks for the prompt reply and info.OK, I misunderstood, I thought that the points at the end of your tracking period determine your status for the next tracking period (correct), but that if you didn't have enough tier points to maintain the tier, you still got another 12 months (incorrect).

I also suppose that no tier points are carried forward? E.g. if I have 90k points at the end of my tracking period and only need 80k for Gold, I still start at 0 and not 10k?
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by a_k
Thanks for the prompt reply and info.OK, I misunderstood, I thought that the points at the end of your tracking period determine your status for the next tracking period (correct), but that if you didn't have enough tier points to maintain the tier, you still got another 12 months (incorrect).

I also suppose that no tier points are carried forward? E.g. if I have 90k points at the end of my tracking period and only need 80k for Gold, I still start at 0 and not 10k?

Unfortunately ay does not rollover tier points
Old Mar 13, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
If I'm One World Emerald ( BA Gold ) is there any point on an intra European flight selecting Economy Classic over Economy light .. as I understand it ( unlike BA ) they do allow status bag benefits on these fares if I want to check in a bag and seat selection should be possible too per the comments up thread unless this has changed recently

I guess the only difference is maybe a few extra Avios/Tier Points for the classic fare ?

Also any idea if it makes any difference if the flight is operated by Wideroe ( route is Tromso - HEL - LHR ) .. will they know about the free bags ?
Old Mar 13, 2022, 2:51 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
As light temporarily has the same (not very generous) change rules as a classic while the "classic" has been made non-refundable it offers very little value over the light.
It does allow name change (for a fee) where light does not, but I think that is it.

I doubt (but someone with better knowledge of BAEC might know) a classic will earn more on BAEC. The ticket types light and classic books into the same fare bucket, so unless BAEC knows (and cares) how to decode the farebasis, there is no way they can distinguish a light from a classic
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Great thanks .. as BAEC works on fare buckets I think then there's really no difference ... Flight will be quite soon so change rules should be the same ( other than the name change option which I can't see a use for in my case) and as long as the Oneworld status benefits apply then seems no reason at all to pay the (~15%) extra for "Classic" over "Light"
Old Mar 14, 2022, 4:16 am

Interestingly when going through the booking process you get this

Finnair Plus Silver, Gold, Platinum and Platinum Lumo or oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members are entitled to one extra bag (max. 23 kg/50 lb) when travelling on Finnair flights (AY code on the ticket and flight operated by Finnair or Norra).
Now that seems to suggest that one of my flights ( operated by Wideroe, but with a Finnair mainline flight number - routing would be LHR-HEL-Tromso and back ) wouldn't qualify for the free bag as OneWorld elite - I guess it probably actually would in reality .. any issue might only arise on checkin at Tromso as at Heathrow they'd be fine on the outbound as first flight is mainline Finnair
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
In any case, the most generous allowance should apply for the whole ticket AFAIK.
EvilDoctorK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.