Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Official policy as it was published in 2017. My bolding to direct readers to the most commonly asked part. Do note wording 'allow'.

THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Finnair takes care of passenger’s through check-in in all cases where the passenger has an agreement of carriage with Finnair and the through check-in is technically possible and is according to local instructions. This agreement of carriage requires that the passenger holds a Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check, or an electronic ticket, as defined in the Conditions of Carriage and issued by Finnair or on its behalf.
Passenger’s flight reservation (PNR) and flight ticket (single agreement with specific airline) are not always the same thing. Each ticket with different ticket number is an independent agreement of carriage with the ticketed air carrier. It is not possible to through check either passenger or baggage between separate flight tickets even if they are in the same PNR. Check-in is possible only to the final destination on each individual agreement of carriage (= flight ticket).
It’s important to remember that MCT (Minimum Connection Time) at each airport is based on the assumption that flights are booked on the same ticket and this way passenger and baggage may be through checked to the final destination. In case flights are on separate tickets, passenger has to collect baggage and recheck on the connecting flight at the transfer station thus MCT is no longer valid. Passenger shall be informed already at the time of reservation that check-in can be done only as far as Finnair has a contract of carriage with the passenger.

FINNAIR THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Passenger and baggage shall be through checked to the final destination as indicated by the flight ticket, provided it constitutes one single agreement of carriage with Finnair. Finnair will provide through check-in for a journey ticketed in a single PNR; this includes segments ticketed separately but booked in the same PNR (and/or referenced in a single PNR during the time of booking).

In addition to the basic rule Finnair will allow through check-in of customer and baggage with separate tickets on separate PNRs on AY–AY (including AY franchising flights operated by Norra) connections when the transfer is within the Minimum Connection Time (MCT). For AY–AY connection flights on the separate PNRs have to be both marketed and operated by Finnair or Norra and flights ticketed on the 105-stock. The agent shall always inform the customer of the destination where the customer and his or her baggage are checked-in to.
Print Wikipost

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
But didn't somebody say that both tickets need to be AY-issued, and on 105 stock? If so, then Fishball would be ineligible because at least one of his tickets would not be on AY stock. I have no personal experience, though.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:51 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yes, that is the policy. What is written in the wiki on top is the same as they are communicating to their travel agents.
So if check-in agent follows policy, they will refuse to check to final. Not sure why he is about to redeem from 2 different programs on 2 different PNR onto one carrier (AY) but perhaps he has points spread over different programs.

I don't have recent experience neither, as I avoid either having bags or AY altogether when on separate tickets. But can confirm the wording in policy is still the same.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:35 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Any experience in such a scenario:
1. AY ticket/PNR HEL-JFK-SFO
2. Plans changed and needed to buy a separate AA domestic ticket from SFO for immediate connection

At HEL AY will tag luggage only to SFO. What if after clearing customs at JFK I take my luggage upstairs and use the normal AA Flagship checkin, will they accept my bag there and re-tag it to final destination with 2 PNRs, one being AY codeshare and second pure AA...anyone knows? I could always collect at SFO and recheck there but connection, even it’s Dom-Dom, is rather short so I’d rather avoid that as it would involve another queue for security, if possible, and/or try to go with hand luggage only..it is all in J/F but I don’t think that makes any difference other than easier with hand luggage if the re-check plan is a no-no..

Thanks for any insight
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:44 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Wouldn't checking in on a AY codeshare be done under AY rules? So still no checking to final.

And if checked in with AA rules, from what a very quick search tells me, no:

4.What if I have separate tickets in separate PNRs for itineraries with American to a oneworldairline?
When there are separate tickets issued in separate PNR’s, customer’s baggage will be checked to the final destination of the American 001 ticket. The customer is responsible for the baggage fees associated on the second ticket when the baggage is re-checked with the oneworld airline. This may involve exiting the secure area to claim and re-check the baggage. International flights may require clearing customs and rechecking on the other airline to the final destination.
AA checks to the end of 001-ticket, but at JFK you wouldn't start on a 001-ticket, so ..?

Read all here.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: CX AY DL
Originally Posted by intuition
Yes, that is the policy. What is written in the wiki on top is the same as they are communicating to their travel agents.
So if check-in agent follows policy, they will refuse to check to final. Not sure why he is about to redeem from 2 different programs on 2 different PNR onto one carrier (AY) but perhaps he has points spread over different programs.

I don't have recent experience neither, as I avoid either having bags or AY altogether when on separate tickets. But can confirm the wording in policy is still the same.
my home program is CX but i have 15k points orphaned in AY+ about to expire...

assuming the agent sticks to policy - is 1hr 35mins between the flights enough time for me to recheck landside at HEL? noting the 45min cut-off

Last edited by fishball; Feb 4, 2019 at 5:01 am Reason: quote
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: CX AY DL

CAN BAGGAGE BE CHECKED THROUGH TO MY FINAL DESTINATION?

Finnair checks your baggage to your final destination if your journey is on the same ticket or your connecting flight is operated by Finnair or another oneworld partner.

When baggage is not checked through for a connecting flight, it is delivered to the baggage claim area. In that case, please collect your baggage and check it in for your connecting flight.
https://www.finnair.com/au/gb/faq/ba...al-destination

If this is correct, then ticket stock wouldn't matter?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

You can go landside pretty quickly in HEL, depending on passport. I'd say 10 minutes from doors open to landside for me on a schengen passport. Check-in is literally one escalator from arrivals hall. If you do online check-in you can go to bag drop directly, it should not have any substantial waiting.

There is a airside transfer desk too, but I am unsure if they can re-check your bag in the flow (like HKG can and frequently do). Hopefully someone here knows.

If you could manage to get first part of trip on CX you are home free as CX has better policy. They will check to final, even if that is the rambunctious AY :-)

Last edited by intuition; Feb 4, 2019 at 5:22 am
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:20 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by fishball
https://www.finnair.com/au/gb/faq/ba...al-destination

If this is correct, then ticket stock wouldn't matter?
I believe they are careless with the wording in that text. Perhaps it is meant to read 'and' instead of 'or'...

Agents are told exactly what is in the wiki on top, ie stock matters on separate PNRs.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
You can go landside pretty quickly in HEL, depending on passport.
Right, with EU-passport it is very quick, but some time ago my Russian colleague was waiting at immigration line about an hour (which to my understanding still is very exceptional), so with non-EU passport I would take some marginal.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Is this to be found written somewhere online (AY pages)? I think I've seen it, but now can't find it anywhere
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:02 pm
Moderator, Finnair

AFAIK, not on the publicly published pages.
It is however easily found on the intranet for travel agents.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
I'm turning to you guys for help, as the good people of Kajaani were only confused, without any answer to my question...

I have an AY issued, AY operated ticket for the following route: FRA-HEL-SFO; LAX-HEL-FRA

I need to buy a HEL-FRA-HEL ticket to be able to actually fly it. For the first leg, it is not an issue, as based on info read here, I can ask the staff at HEL to check my suitcase straight to SFO, without the FRA detour, and even if not, for the morning flight there is ~2 hours in FRA between landing and take-off. However, I see issues with the return leg, as the turnaround time for the afternoon / evening flight to-from FRA is ~50 minutes, which would not be enough to collect the suitcase, check it in and pass through security again to catch the return flight.

I see two possibilities:

1, Short check suitcase in LAX to HEL, not bringing it to FRA and pick it up after returning from FRA the same evening

2, Ask the check-in agent at LAX to through-check my suitcase for LAX-HEL-FRA-HEL and hope that in FRA they don't get too confused about putting the suitcase back to the same flight they took it off from... Based on the published through-check policy of AY, this should be ok, as both tickets will be AY issued under 105 stock, AY marketed and AY operated.

Do you guys think that any of the above would work? Where can I find the MCT for FRA to see if the ~50 minutes would be enough or not?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
2, Ask the check-in agent at LAX to through-check my suitcase for LAX-HEL-FRA-HEL and hope that in FRA they don't get too confused about putting the suitcase back to the same flight they took it off from... Based on the published through-check policy of AY, this should be ok, as both tickets will be AY issued under 105 stock, AY marketed and AY operated.

Do you guys think that any of the above would work? Where can I find the MCT for FRA to see if the ~50 minutes would be enough or not?
I doubt this will work, intuition has some experience on putting baggage in the hold for a back-to-back flight and it didn't work then. If any way possible, don't check any luggage.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:57 am
Moderator, Finnair

yes, I've been in a similar situation and I cannot see a solution to your problem. YMMV, and things may also have changed, but IME from outstations there is no way to fix this.

AY does not allow short-check, IME, but maybe you should push for solution 1 anyway. You could try to have a item in your checked bag that you must use during your short stop in HEL, like a liquid drug. I'm thinking this is your best option.

I also tried to do your solution 2, and had an extremely helpful agent at the outstation actually checking my bag on such a pattern. He told me I needed to contact ground staff in HEL during the layover and persuade them to make sure the bag was not unloaded at eg FRA, but stays in the hold while aircraft is on the ground.
The way to accomplish this is to stow it as if it had been gate checked. When landing, someone on the flight must talk to loaders and persuade them to leave the bag in hold. This can theoretically be done.

Needless to say, staff in HEL was moderately interested in helping me with this, and my bag ended up abandoned on the conveyor belt in eg FRA. It took 3 or4 days for my bag to reunite with me in HKG.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
If I anticipated an issue with checked luggage, I probably would have added a stopover in HEL on the returnz. Would it be a huge cost to change the ticket to add an overnight stopover in HEL (i.e., change HEL-FRA to the next day? I guess the other option is not to check luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.