FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1771697-finnair-baggage-separate-tickets-after-june-1-2016-ow-decision.html)

kauppias Jun 11, 2016 10:22 pm

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

So at the check in today I asked about AYs policy now that OW weakened itself :D

CI agent at the platinum desk ask AY to AY on separate tickets was OK but nothing else!

Big thumbs down but still better then ba's stance...

AA seemingly still allows baggage on separate tickets for now atleast...

WilcoRoger Jun 11, 2016 11:48 pm

This really sucks for e.g. AY->CX/KA connections (I am cheap, so often slap on a cheap Y ticket for the HKG-xxx leg)

MagmaH Jun 12, 2016 12:30 am

What is the current policy for OW and AY? In April booked two tickets with AA since AA's booking system seems to choose the most expensive leg and apply it for the whole itinerary, which makes a trip with many legs VERY expensive ($4000 USD difference). The CI agent just merged my itineraries and the bags went all the way to final destination.

I've been thinking of doing the same with NRT-HEL-STO since NRT-STO can be very expensive sometimes, but booking NRT-HEL and HEL-STO is cheaper.

intuition Jun 12, 2016 1:12 am

Kauppias, what is this OW weakening you are talking about?

On Finnair webapages, Q&A section, it still says separate ticket on oneworld flight is OK:

I’m travelling to Malaysia, and the first flight is operated by Finnair. Will my baggage be checked to my final destination, or do I need to check-in again at the transfer airport?

Finnair checks your baggage to your final destination if your journey is on the same ticket or your connecting flight is operated and marketed by Finnair or another oneworld partner. When baggage is not checked through for a connecting flight, it is delivered to the baggage claim area. In this case, please collect your baggage and check it in for your connecting flight.

Steve_Hun Jun 12, 2016 1:13 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 26765571)
Kauppias, what is this OW weakening you are talking about?

I believe he is talking about this.

intuition Jun 12, 2016 1:24 am

OMG. They are really out to make travel less conveinient, for no apparent reason.

kauppias Jun 12, 2016 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun (Post 26765579)
I believe he is talking about this.

Indeed. Its gotten much more attention in the ba and AA forums...

But bad news for those who either have to or choose to buy 2 separate tickets... Now there is NO reason to buy a same alliance conneting flight (well star alliance still through checks) I was hoping AY would JOIN AA in taking the high road but instead it seems like AY took the middle road :) they atleast through check on AY to AY itinearies while ba wont do even that :)

kauppias Jun 12, 2016 1:27 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 26765598)
OMG. They are really out to make travel less conveinient, for no apparent reason.

Indeed... It has ba's stench all over it :D they must have been loosing too much money on Ex Eu itinearies?

This makes my life within OW very difficult :( so I either have to book ALL AA or AY-AY mixes :) ba gets cut totally now... Or just fly SAS. 😱😱😱😱

intuition Jun 12, 2016 2:56 am

They are either out to collect more overweight/extra baggage fees along the way or they believe this will drive more tickets to be purchased with the main airline alone.
As mentioned in the other thread many times that is just not possible many times.

In my case, I have had som issues even on one ticket so if anything this is likely to make me go with ME3. Why take a 2 connection trip to Australasia on 2 different OW carriers (where they have a lot of opportunities to crap things up) when I can take a 1 connection ME3 flight on one singular airline?

kauppias Jun 12, 2016 4:23 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 26765738)
They are either out to collect more overweight/extra baggage fees along the way or they believe this will drive more tickets to be purchased with the main airline alone.
As mentioned in the other thread many times that is just not possible many times.

In my case, I have had som issues even on one ticket so if anything this is likely to make me go with ME3. Why take a 2 connection trip to Australasia on 2 different OW carriers (where they have a lot of opportunities to crap things up) when I can take a 1 connection ME3 flight on one singular airline?

I personally beleive this will drive more money AWAY from oneworld then TO them...

Before I obviously booked a oneworld feeder even when significantly more expensive... Now I will choos the cheapest/best miles accumulatibg ticket since I have to hassle with the bag anyways...

What makes me angry is that they do not seem to be honoring rules in effect when booking making this a huge hassle to allready booked trips!

TTL Jun 12, 2016 4:25 am

Someone found a useful page explaining the situation... link

Protection on flight disruptions on two separate PNR:s has not been great even up to date.

intuition Jun 12, 2016 4:54 am

It looks like a change made in panic - some airlines must have pushed for this for some reason. Perhaps there have been a lot of trouble with interlined luggage out of control when the flight on ticket no2 is mis-connect.

Anyway, what it will do is drive even more bags into the cabin instead of checkin. That situation is already out of control on some airlines who have pushed the light fares too far (BA).

gordon0808 Jun 12, 2016 7:59 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 26765955)
Anyway, what it will do is drive even more bags into the cabin instead of checkin. That situation is already out of control on some airlines who have pushed the light fares too far (BA).

Exactly. People will now have to try and cram everything into a cabin bag, which will result in overcrowding in the overhead lockers.
I for one have a two hour connection in BKK on separate tickets coming up, and will have no choice now with this new policy. I will now use *A for future bookings.

odo Jun 12, 2016 9:45 am

I have a 2 PNR trip coming up where I have SFO-LHR-HEL (BA+AY) and HEL-OUL (AY) on separate PNRs. 1 hour connection at HEL so not even slightest chance to get bags out and re-check them. Things can get interesting...

SAN_Finn Jun 12, 2016 9:54 am

This change really sucks for me too. Finnair's pricing To/from Taiwan is stupid so now will have to get bags both ways in Hong Kong (though in HKG i've been able to have transit desk re-tag bags without going thru immigration.

as for why, I do believe at least one point is this making it easier to build automated baggage check in systems.